What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Strangely Enough
This topic is about Strangely Enough
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Anthology/Collection of Strange and/or True Stories. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (katcovington) | 3 comments I used to have a book that was a collection of strage but mostly true(ish) short stories that I think was published before the 1990s. Stories included: I think the opening story was about a painting of a house with one lit window but sometimes the light went out or moved?; Machu Picchu; man finding clay stones at the beach, skipping rocks with them, and later finding they were filled with gemstones; a man being buried and no grass growing on his grave,and then later grass only gre in the shape of a cross; the man who predicted that the Titanic would sink 14 years early; and a man tricking the devil into filling a boot with gold.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33251 comments Mod
Kat, around what year did you read this book?

Is this non-fiction?

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (katcovington) | 3 comments I read/owned the book secondhand in the late 90s or early 00s, but the pages had that early 90s/late 80s feel with the darker page colour, thinner pages, and darker print that could almost be seen on both sides. It was also that smaller sort of paper back, dimensions-wise, that you saw pre-2000s.

I'm not sure if it was labeled as non-fiction. I think it was the writer telling the stories as he? had heard them, so they were written as strange but true, like the ship that used unusual cannon fodder and the man that predicted the Titanic, but it also had clear supernatural aspects, like the painting with the light that turned off an on. It was most likely sold as fiction.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1076 comments Sounds a lot like Strangely Enough by C. B. Colby. Note that this cover looks different than the cover I have, but the stories you mention (the cannon uses cheeses) are in it. Strangely Enough

message 5: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (katcovington) | 3 comments !!!! That's it!!!! That's even the exact cover I had! Thank you so much!

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1076 comments You're welcome.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Omg is this the book with the story of the woman (?) who fell out of an airplane and survived?

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1076 comments I just checked, and it's not in there. But I read it in a similar type of book, whose title I can't remember. (By the way, her name was Vesna Vulović, and she was a flight attendant on an airplane which crashed. She didn't fall out of the plane, but she holds the record for longest fall survived without a parachute.)