Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Discussion Post for 2020 reads.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4119 comments Mod
I hope the block message came through for everyone.

I discovered with block messages I couldn't link for the two choices of non-fiction Cindy & I were thinking about which are;

They were Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester

or

Georgette Heyer's Regency England by Teresa Chris. Very similar titles I know.

& we want to see if the majority are happy with a The Black Moth/These Old Shades/Devil's Cub read in order to finish off 2020.

Let us know your thoughts.

I will start the non fiction vote with a vote for the Teresa Chris title.

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1235 comments I don't have the Teresa Chris book but I see one on Amazon I can get with the last of my gift card. Kloestner's book is easier to obtain and I already own it so I would be inclined to vote for that.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1272 comments Thanks for the time and effort you have put into the scheduling for next year! Some good ones on tap. I would love to read the three Georgians--like you, I love Devil's Cub and haven't read the other two for a long time.

My preference in the two nonfiction books would be for the Kloester because I have it and have been meaning to read it forever. Won't sulk if we end up reading the other, though.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 516 comments I already have the Kloester, but to my delight I was also able to find a copy of the Chris book on Abebooks for less than $10. So that's been ordered, and when the time comes I'll probably be okay with discussing either one! :)

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Teresa Chris - 1
Jennifer Kloester -2
Happy Either Way! - 1

message 6: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) I will of course go along with any reads, but I was saddened to see that of the six book listed for the first seven months of the year, four come right at the bottom of my list of books I enjoy, one (Lady of Quality) is in the middle and only one (Black Sheep) counts as a favourite.

On the other hand, a discussion of Frederica is always ... lively, and I will happily start a discussion on Lady Denville's faults.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Rosina wrote: "I will of course go along with any reads, but I was saddened to see that of the six book listed for the first seven months of the year, four come right at the bottom of my list of books I enjoy, on..."

Ooh, I can see our wrap up discussion for reading the Regencies will be lively! (I agree with you that The Black Sheep is the standout title from these later books.)

Probably we won't have so much pre-planning after 2020. & Critterbee is open to leading GH books that I'm not so fond of - like My Lord John. :)

message 8: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2572 comments Mod
I haven't read My Lord John yet, and I am at the point where I have read most Heyers, and am saving the titles that I haven't read because I absolutely hate the moment when I finish all the work by a fav author...

message 9: by Critterbee❇ (new)

I know that will happen, though. And balancing the hesitancy with wanting to read all of the books, haha!
I look forward to, and dread, finishing every Heyer book.

message 10: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Abigail wrote: "Thanks for the time and effort you have put into the scheduling for next year! Some good ones on tap. I would love to read the three Georgians--like you, I love Devil's Cub and haven't read the oth..."

Thanks so much for all your efforts- next year looks wonderful!

I vote for the Kloester book simply because I have it - the other looks good too, and available used online for under $10.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15 comments Where can I find the list of 2020 reads? (Sorry to be dense.)

message 12: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) Critterbee❇ wrote: "I know that will happen, though. And balancing the hesitancy with wanting to read all of the books, haha!
I look forward to, and dread, finishing every Heyer book."

If you are saving My Lord John to be the bonne bouche at the end of your Heyer meal, you will be very disappointed ...

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Sandy wrote: "Where can I find the list of 2020 reads? (Sorry to be dense.)"

It was in the group message, but not to worry, Sandy, I will post it here:

This is what 2020 group reads looks like now

January month off
Feb False Colours
March Frederica
Apr The Black Sheep
May Cousin Kate
June Charity Girl
July Lady of Quality
Aug Discussion of all GH's Regency books & how reading them in order went for each of us
Sept Month off
Oct The Black Moth
Nov These Old Shades
Dec Devil's Cub

message 14: by Critterbee❇ (new)

"Critterbee❇ wrote: "I know that will happen, though. And balancing the hesitancy with wanting to read all of the books, haha!
I look forward to, and dread, finishing every Heyer book."

Rosina wrote: If you are saving My Lord John to be the bonne bouche at the end of your Heyer meal, you will be very disappointed ..."

No, too late for me all around, I feel that I have read her best already! I am not expecting My Lord John to be exemplary, just I dislike thinking that there is nothing new by Heyer for me to read. Purely selfish, when I think that I can enjoyably re-read almost all of her books...

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Where can I find the list of 2020 reads? (Sorry to be dense.)"

It was in the group message, but not to worry, Sandy, I will post it here:

This is what 2020 group reads looks like n..."

Thank you and sorry to make you repeat your work

message 16: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Well, Carol did all the hard work, so I am happy to help ;P

What do you think of the reading order?

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15 comments Looks good to me. I find I own The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer (as well as some of the others) but don't remember reading it. And can't even remember ever hearing about Cousin Kate. I'm enjoying my rereads quite a lot.

message 18: by Critterbee❇ (new)

With Heyer, half of the fun is re-reading!

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Holmes | 21 comments I vote for the Teresa Chris one as have not read that. I have the other which is always to hand. The last ones for 2019 are not favourites of mine but as we have read several of my favourites this year I am happy to "put up and shut up!"

message 20: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Sep 21, 2019 11:53AM) (new)

*smacks forehead*

Yes I should have posted the proposed list here. Sorry about that. Plus whichever non fiction book we choose, I'm proposing we read 15th June-14th July.

& I also forgot to mention we haven't read Charity Girl as a group before.

I'll close the consensus vote for the non fiction book Friday my time, Thursday North American time if thats ok. It's my husband's birthday Saturday & the kids will be coming home.

& our vote.

I make it Chris - 2
Kloester - 3
Happy either way - 1

message 21: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Sorry Margaret we cross posted! I'll amend the non fiction vote in post #20.

message 22: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 220 comments For the non-fiction, I can get both books so I'm easy whichever way it goes. :)

message 23: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Chris - 2
Kloester - 3
Happy either way -2

message 24: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 645 comments Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "Chris - 2
Kloester - 3
Happy either way -2"

Put me down as a 'happy either way'. The non-fiction that I know I have sitting on my shelf is Jane Aiken Hodge's "Private World of GH" from 1984. I may have the Kloester; I can't remember and I'm not close to that bookcase right now.

message 25: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 645 comments Re: the reading order for 2020--I am looking forward to doing 'Black Moth' and TOS back to back as a group. I am very fond of Black Moth and TOS was my first Heyer and thus holds a special place in my heart.

message 26: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Chris - 2
Kloester - 3
Happy either way -3

The Black Moth was my first complete Heyer, although I had read installments of The Black Sheep while staying at my aunt's. Both very special books to me.

message 27: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I'll vote for the Kloester, because I have it.
And the list looks good to me!

message 28: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Ravenclaw (jemimaravenclaw) | 29 comments Not fussed either way. Thanks so much for the plans. Looks awesome. Can’t wait for Freddy one of my favorites. I will set Sophy in the month off. It’s my favorite and I missed the group read. Anyone want to buddy read it with me?

message 29: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Ravenclaw (jemimaravenclaw) | 29 comments And yes. Very happy to read the Georgians. I love them. I would love to group read some of the even earlier historical fictional eventually as well.

message 30: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK Looking forward to the 2020 reads! Frederica is definitely one of my favourites, partly because of the huge collection characters - a real 'ensemble' piece, rather as Cotillion is. Black Sheep I like for the 'anti-hero' hero who was a real one-off for GH. It will, I suspect, draw in discussion about the similarities with Lady of Quality (which I think you all discussed earlier this year before I discovered this wonderful group!).

It will be interesting to me to reread the Black Moth, and, indeed, TOS, as I haven't read them in years. Again, I look forward to some interesting discussion about the 'links' between the two novels.

Jemima, if The Grand Sophy was discussed last year, and I missed out on that too, I am definitely up for another read, if you want to round up a few fans for a buddy read! (Or possibly build on and continue with what was discussed earlier this year - is that possible/desirable??)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments I’m looking forward to reading the 3 Georgians together and comparing tBM and TOS.

I recall, back when I was getting my feet wet with GHs novels, I read Sylvester first and secondly read Devil's Cub without realizing that it was a revisit to Vidal’s parents from an earlier novel.

I’m looking forward to it!

message 32: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:26AM) (new)

Chris - 2
Kloester - 4
Happy either way - 4

@Jemima & Beth. If you want to use the old Sophy threads for a buddy read, feel free to bump them up. We don't close the most recent group discussions of any GH book, so that members can add their comments when they are able to read the book. :)

message 33: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK Thank you - it's Jemima's call!

Re False Colours, I've just been watching a programme about Chatsworth, and of course it included poor Georgaina (was it spelt like that, or only pronounced like that??). She really had a wretched time of it. Having, some time ago, watched the film The Duchess (Keira Knightley, so dreadfully miscast as Lizzie Bennet, was very good as the doomer duchess), and thinking about how the Duke was portrayed by Ralph Fiennes, makes me speculate whether he was on the autistic spectrum. He had an uncle (possibly great uncle, I must look it up), Lord Frederick Cavendish (think it was Frederick!), who was a notable scientist in his day (I think the Cavendish Lab in Cambridge is named after him), but was so shy and reclusive it is now assumed that he was, in fact, autistic (as quite a few 'ultra-scientists' are!) (eg, Dirac).

It might explain why Georgaina's husband was so cold and unfeeling towards her - ie, wasn't 'bad' just 'incapable' of expressing warm emotions towards her??

(Sorry for all the 'I thinks'....my dim memories and too late here in the UK for me to go and look up what I should to verify!)

message 34: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1272 comments Interesting connections between Georgiana the Duchess of Devonshire (you're right about the pronunciation but it was spelled in the usual way) and the twins' mother in False Colours, but Georgiana was quite brilliant and I think of their mother as socially adept but rather a dim bulb.

From her biography I get the sense that the Duke initially adored her but became very disillusioned with her and therefore bitter, cold, and cruel. She in turn became more and more outrageous.

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 108 comments Frederica is my number one favorite! I own multiple copies in print and ebook.

message 36: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK That's so sad that the duke adored her at first.....I wonder what went wrong? I know the programme said she took 8 years to get pregnant (and then it was a girl)....

It also said that, marrying at only 17, she was suddenly presented with Chatsworth (probably the largest non-royal residence apart from Blenheim and possibly Castle Howard?? Certainly one of the largest!), and was simply expected to run it flawlessly as an experienced chatelaine.

I find that a bit hard to believe - surely both her own family, and the duke's, not to mention the senior household staff too, would have been on hand to guide her along?

All desperately sad, anyway - and just goes to show that for all their wealth, it was no guarantee of happiness, and indeed, sometimes guaranteed the very opposite.

message 37: by Beth-In-UK (new)

Beth-In-UK Theresa - Frederica is certainly in my top five faves. Shame about her name....just can't imagine Alverstoke tenderly calling her either her full name, or, even worse, some diminutive such as 'Freddie'!!!! It's a very heavy masculine sounding name to my mind, and little to be done to soften it.

message 38: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 194 comments I received no message, but thanks for copying the list here.

I understand there's a vote going on, and I choose Kloester.

Thanks!

message 39: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Current poll results

Chris - 2
Kloester - 5
Happy either way - 4

message 40: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 43 comments One more vote for the Kloester, please.

message 41: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Thanks for voting, Moloch and Doris. :)

Chris - 2
Kloester - 6
Happy either way - 4

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1197 comments I forgot to vote but it's happy either way.

message 43: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

The vote is still open, Jackie!

Chris - 2
Kloester-6
Happy either way- 5

message 44: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Molloch sorry you didn't get the block message. All I can say is mysterious are the ways of Goodreads!

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1197 comments the good news is, I can't lose ;-)

message 46: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I'll be closing the vote in around 24 hours. Does anyone else want to have their say?

message 47: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 337 comments I'll cast my vote for Teresa Chris, since I read Kloester's Heyer bio this year (looking for some variety in authorial viewpoint :).

message 48: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Chris - 3
Kloester-6
Happy either way- 5

Jay-me (Janet)  | 111 comments I didn't get the block message - but I have selected not to receive any Goodreads notifications. So I am glad that you included the list on here.
I vote for the Kloester, I have this one on my audible wish list.

message 50: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Chris - 3
Kloester -7
Happy either way- 5

I thought group block messages weren't considered Goodreads messages, but things may have changed.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.