Start by marking “Georgette Heyer's Regency World” as Want to Read:
Georgette Heyer's Regency World

Georgette Heyer's Regency World

Georgette Heyer fans will delight in Jennifer Kloester's definitive guide to her Regency world: the people, the shops, clubs and towns they frequented, the parties and seasons they celebrated, how they ate, drank, dressed, socialized, voted, shopped and drove. A fun read for any Heyer fan.
Published October 6th 2005 by William Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about Georgette Heyer's Regency World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgette Heyer's Regency World

Start your review of Georgette Heyer's Regency World
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
3.5★

I've owned this book for a few years now, and was lucky enough to have it signed by the author at the Georgette Heyer Conference in Sydney in 2016.

Jen was warm and lovely (and a really great public speaker.) It was a pleasure to meet her.

Very readable account of the times and it was fascinating to find out things you have always wanted to know like;

💞 What are crim. cons?
💞 What rules do the seconds have to follow when arranging a duel?
💞 When does a fashionable lady wear a carriag
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
While engrossed in the pages of a delightful Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer novel have you ever come across something you didn't quite understand? Like what is the difference between a barouche and a phaeton? Have you ever thought about places mentioned in these novels like Almacks, Hyde Park, Carlton House,Vauxhall Garden and wondered if their renderings were true? Or are you fascinated by the Regency Era and interested in learning all you can about it? If you are anything like me, you would pr ...more
Melissa McShane
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is closer to 3.5 stars. As a companion to Heyer's novels, it's invaluable. Kloester makes frequent references to characters and events from the books when she's discussing aspects of Regency society, and I think the only way it could be more useful in that respect is if there were some sort of index so you could look up facts in reverse (though this would be a truly major endeavor and probably better suited to a database). She's also got an extensive list of recommendations for further read ...more
kris
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a quick, glancing look at life during the Regency, complete with lots and lots of references to the books written by Heyer. So if you read Heyer and had questions: this is the book for you, probably. Maybe.

1. Ultimately, this was adequate. It doesn't provide quite the depth I would have liked, and it spends too much time referencing books rather than referencing Heyer's allegedly deep pile of reference materials. It felt like the sight-seers guide to Heyer rather than a tour of the
Amy Bruno
Jennifer Kloester has authored a MUST READ reference book for any avid Georgette Heyer or Regency period fans.

In Georgette Heyer’s Regency World Kloester covers a wide-range of information pertaining to the Regency period; from deciphering the convoluted social class order of the day (wowza!), to what they wore, where and what they ate, where they shopped, the daily life of regency men and women, and my favorite, the hottest entertainment destinations to see and be seen! Also included is a who’
QNPoohBear
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction

This is a handy reference book for fans of Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen and the Regency era. Each chapter covers an aspect of Regency society: clothing, transportation, etiquette, health care and more. She uses examples from Heyer's novels and appendices provide a list of slang words, biographies of Regency people and a timeline. The book is illustrated with small line drawings done from 19th century illustrations. The book could have benefited from full-color or at least larger illustrations. T
Susan in NC
3.5 stars - very familiar territory for fans of Regency romances and mysteries, a fun compendium of popular history about all aspects of Regency life, mainly among the upper classes.

Kloester delivers a lot of interesting information in a breezy, informative style. I read this nonfiction book with the Georgette Heyer Fans group here on GR; some of our members felt the references to Heyer’s books were incorrect, and thus made the rest of the information questionable, so I knocked off half a star.
Kelly
A few weeks ago, as I was browsing the Romance shelves at one of my local Barnes & Noble stores, I spied a few copies of Georgette Heyer's Regency World, which I immediately scooped up. I could have used it for some of my Jane Austen-related research, since it includes quite a lot of useful information about the customs, manners, fashions, and practices of the time period.

If you are a fan of (a) Georgette Heyer's books; (b) Jane Austen's novels; (c) Regency romances; (d) the Regency era for any
Hannah
Read in one sitting at my local Borders today :D

Interesting compendium of everything regency, especially as it relates to Georgette Heyer's novels. A good reference companion book, but probably best for people who don't know all the in's and out's of this fascinating time period.

Glad to say I knew most of this stuff already (yes, I'm bragging....)

Abigail Bok
I got too bored around chapter 8 and set it aside.

As others have said before me, this book pretends to be more authoritative than it is. Most reasonable readers would go in with the assumption that it illuminates the real Regency society and culture that Heyer treats fictionally. To a certain degree it does, but its revelations should be taken with a grain of salt. As the title technically says, it is Georgette Heyer's Regency world that is being described, not the real Regency world. So Kloest
Lady Wesley
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy Regency-era romances, you will learn many interesting details from this book. Although I love fiction, it's nice to know about some of facts of that era.
Laurel
During her prolific fifty-three year writing career, British author Georgette Heyer (1902-1974) wrote fifty-six historical romance and detective fiction novels. She was a pioneer in Regency romance, and is generally attributed by many for establishing the sub genre that is flourishing today. Stylish, witty and historically accurate, her humorous plots and memorable characters serve as the benchmark for new Regency romance writers.

In her lifetime Heyer publisher twenty-six Regency-era novels, man
Rebekah
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifically entertaining and interesting guide to the Regency World of Georgette Heyer. Kloester goes into just enough depth on such topics as Clothing, Sport, The wars, A typical day in a bachelor's or a Debutante's life, The Royal Family, etc. to both enlighten the Heyer fan, and to remind them of what they already know. It's not for the serious historian or sociologist. She keeps it light and entertaining. As she goes from topic to topic, she adeptly and smoothly weaves in illustrations and ...more
Mela
It was enjoyable reading but not as much as I hoped for. [It would have been much much better with more and colorful pictures.]

Yes, it was nice to get back to Heyer's books world but there was little new to me. Although I admit, some information will be useful when I next reread Heyer, especially the glossaries will be handy.

The book confirmed the historical accuracy of Heyer's novels but it didn't add much. Perhaps it is more informative (and enjoyable) for those who know less about the Regency
Barbara K.
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, non-fiction
Recommended for curious readers and also highly recommended for aspiring Regency Period authors, along with whatever other sources can be found. Having recently read a few more recently authored Regency novels and cringed at some of the anachronisms, I would point out that this is a great resource for research for historical fiction, and so are Georgette Heyer's actual novels set in that period.

I'm not sure of the exact date I started this, because I've picked it up and read a little more betwee
Staci
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency romance fans, Austen, Bronte readers
Recommended to Staci by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 2010-reads
I wanted to read this one because I've read a few of Heyer's Regency romance novels and thought it would be fun to try to understand the customs, rules, clothes, food, and the monarchy from that time period. This book does not disappoint at all. There are so many aspects from the Regency era that it can be a little mind-boggling at the beginning. I recommend that you read this book in chunks, because there is so much information that your head may explode....SERIOUSLY! I can tell you one thing. ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Georgette Heyer's Regency World is an interesting nonfiction book of the do's and don't of life in the Regency period of England, the time of Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer's world that is so popular today . This is actually a guide that is helpful to the reader of Georgette Heyer's novels if the reader wants to know more about that period in time. Upon reading this book you will learn what was worn, the food eaten, most important how to behave, what class you belong to and even to what kind of ...more
Barb in Maryland
A delightful look at Regency England's upper class as reflected in the Regency stories of Georgette Heyer. Not designed to be read straight through, but rather, dipped into for bits of information on the subject of your choice. Say you want to know what they ate for meals, or wore to drive in the park; you can flip between the chapters to find out.
The is an easy to read gloss on the era. Don't go looking for a lot of deep detail--but it is a good jumping off point for deeper research, if you are
Karlyne Landrum
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been a Georgette Heyer (and Jane Austen) fan since, oh, I don't know, probably birth. But, having read them without a guide or a glossary, it's amazing to realize how much you can pick up on your own, from just the inferences. Dictionaries are fun to read, but when you're reading well-thought-out, well-plotted books you really don't need one. Having said that, though, this is still an entertaining read, and I did learn that "boxing the watch" doesn't mean throwing a punch at the local coppe ...more
Lynn Spencer
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
If you're looking for a basic survey of social history of the Regency period, this one is an interesting read. While the author doesn't delve deeply into the topics covered, there are all kinds of interesting tidbits about dress of the period, manners and mores, transportation, social class, and more. Because she is looking at the world portrayed in Georgette Heyer's novels, the author does tie some of the factual information into various plot points used by Heyer.

Since I like Heyer's novels and
Lori
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book really takes the guess work out of the slang terms and social customs of the regency period. I plan to read more of Heyer's work, as well as other regency novels, so this book has given me a better understanding of all things regency. My only disappointment was the omission of the slang term "stoopid" which I encountered in Venetia. A term of endearment??? All in all, I felt like this book was an easy to read motorcycle ride through the time period and the illustrations will help me to ...more
Danielle Lisle
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a writer I found this book a very helpful starting point to the Regency era. It (of course) focuses on Georgette Heyer’s novels and what her characters did where and when, but it also gives the reader a clear image of the time and places set.

The only negative thing I can offer is that it skims over the mindset of the ladies or gentlemen of the time. This book however offers a very nice insight into the time and will stay on my shelf for reference in the future.
Katie Winkler
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for Georgette Heyer fans and anyone interested in the Regency Period in England. I like how the author relates the information to Heyer's Regency romances, all of which I have read and enjoyed ever since my uncle introduced me to them when I was a girl. He used to collect them for me as he roamed the used books stores in Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL.

Kilian Metcalf
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
For Heyer lovers like me, this book is the equivalent of a 2-lb box of See's dark chocolate raspberry creams. Delightful references to beloved books on every page, historical timelines, suggested reading.
Sabrina Jeffries
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great information about the Regency period.
Teri-K
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like detailed notes for a research paper. There's tons of info in here, and it's well organized. But there's no real depth. If you've read lots of historical fiction you've deduced all of this anyway. I was quite disappointed, looking forward to interesting information and instead found it too boring to finish. The only part I thought worthwhile was the explanations of where some of the slang came from.
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From My Blog...[return][return]Whether or not one has read a Georgette Heyer novel (if not, what are you waiting for?), Georgette Heyer’s Regency World by Jennifer Kloester gives the reader an in depth look into life in a time period written about by many novelists, including Georgette Heyer. Historically, the Regency era was only nine years, however the common held belief is the Regency period extends from 1780 until 1830. I have heard many readers say they do not care for this time period beca ...more
Damaskcat
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read Georgette Heyer's novels over 30 years ago and I wish this book had been around then. It makes interesting reading for anyone interested in social history as well as fans of Heyer's novels. There are chapters on famous people of the era, newspapers and magazines, clothes, shops and books read as well as food eaten and social etiquette.

Most of the information is referenced to one or more of Heyer's Regency novels. The only down side as far as I am concerned is that it only covers the
Christy B
Georgette Heyer's Regency World contains a wealth of information about the Regency era. It can be used for more than just Heyer's Regencies, but any Regencies.

I read it once through, but this is the type of book that can be used for reference. It's separated into countless different sections, so it's easy to look up something real quick that you come across in whatever Regency you are reading. Sections having to do with fashion, leisure, sports, travel, food shopping, etc. Not to mention a brief
Jaylia3
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
You don't have to love Georgette Heyer to enjoy this thorough account of Regency England's people, places, pastimes, customs and costumes. History enthusiasts, Jane Austen devotees, admirers of the Romantic poets, period writers, and maybe even researchers will find a lot of information to enhance their interests. There’s a comprehensive timeline that stretches from 1738, when George III is born, to 1830, when George IV dies, in one of the appendixes that I know I will be coming back to again an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Which is the best Georgette Heyer book to start with? 5 47 Feb 22, 2018 01:59PM

• Sylvester
  • Pistols For Two
  • Charity Girl
  • Regency Buck (Alastair-Audley, #3)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Black Sheep
  • Arabella
  • Friday's Child
  • April Lady
  • Lady of Quality
  • Devil's Cub (Alastair-Audley, #2)
  • False Colours
  • The Unknown Ajax
  • Venetia
  • These Old Shades (Alastair-Audley, #1)
  • The Quiet Gentleman
  • The Foundling
  • Cotillion

I was born in Melbourne, Australia, but have lived and worked in Papua New Guinea and the Middle East and travelled to more than thirty countries. While living overseas I studied as an off-campus student with Deakin University and achieved my BA (Hons) while raising my three children.

After graduating with a PhD in history from the University of Melbourne, my first two books: 'Georgette Heyer's Reg

News & Interviews