Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Voracity

Comments Showing 1-50 of 861 (861 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:34AM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 30, 2019 08:46AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:53AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 6: by Shelby (last edited Oct 02, 2019 06:08PM) (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1050 comments Book Reporting

Voracity Spreadsheet

When reporting books to the spreadsheet please you hyperlink's if you can. If you're not familiar the code for a hyperlink would look like this...
=HYPERLINK("Goodreads Book Page Web Address","Book Title")
aka
=HYPERLINK("https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..." , "The Looking Glass Wars") - ignore the spaces between quotes and commas GR wouldn't print it exactly

Shortcut if it's easier for you -- you can also follow these steps by clicking on Insert and scrolling down to Link...

Please also remember to link to the edition of the book that you read. That will make things easier for Minx and I when confirming page counts. They matter in this game, so please remember to report the page count of the edition you read. The only exception to this is for BOM's. The mods have already laid out which edition we'll all use for for fairness sake.

Last please make sure your book is on your personal shelf before adding it to the completion page. We can't report anything completed until it's on your personal challenge shelf.

message 8: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1050 comments Hold

message 9: by Shelby (new)

message 10: by Shelby (new)

message 11: by Minx (last edited Sep 28, 2019 09:15PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Teams that stay in the 80% - 120% reading range get an additional 50 points
Teams that fall below the 80% mark get a penalty of -20 points
Teams that go over the 120% cap but stay under the 250% get a penalty of -100 points
Teams that go over the 250% mark get a penalty of -200 points

Each team is balanced at 38 books per week. So the range of books we can read without penalties is 30 - 46.

Committed Reading:

Shelby: 7
Minx: 8
Ashley: 3
Christina: 1
Dragana: 2
Jan: 4
Kinga: 3
Mama: 2
Maritza: 2
May: 1
Sophie: 3

Our Team Commitment: 36 Books 😘

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮

A Sin Bingo is when a book does all 3:

1. The book cover is more than 50% the color of the sin

2. The genre of the sin can be found on the first page of the book's Top shelves

3. It fits the criteria that describes the sin.

An example of a Lust Bingo:

Lover Mine Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

This book cover is Red, It has a top shelf of guilty pleasure & it fits the criteria of steamy.

This book is a Sin Bingo.

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮

message 12: by Minx (last edited Sep 24, 2019 06:16PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Book page counts do make a big difference and even if you only read one book a book that is over 500 pages that will make a huge difference.

◈ For reading books
Books between 100 and 499 pages = 0.1 points per page
Books between 500 and 799 pages = 0.15 points per page
Books 800 pages or more = 0.2 points per page

NOTE: Book Points will be rounded to integer.

EXAMPLE:
Pages Points
160 -------- 16
450 -------- 45
500 -------- 75
750 -------- 113
800 -------- 160
1050 ------- 210

As you assign each book to a sin, using one of the three categories (color, genre, criteria) you will get bonus points.

7 points for achieving Sin Bingo
5 points for each book used for colour cover
3 points for each book used for top shelf
1 point for each book used for sin specification (EXCEPT for Avarice, which gets 0 points)

Here are some examples of point scenarios:

King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1) by Leigh Bardugo My copy of King of Scars is 514 pages which makes it worth 77 page points. Then if you add in the fact that the cover is brown (one of the sin colors) that adds 5 points which makes it worth a total of 82 points.

514 x .15= (77.1) 77 + 5= 82 points

Now here is another example same scenario but lower page count:

Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery Book 3) by Andrea Penrose My copy of Murder at Kensington Palace is 304 pages which makes it worth 30 page points. Then if you add in the fact that the cover is red (one of the sin colors) that adds 5 points which makes it worth a total of 35 points.

304 x .10= (30.4) 30 + 5= 35 points

You can clearly see that even if I read 2 books at 304 pages, they still wouldn't equal what reading one book over 500 pages that had a sin color cover would make.

message 13: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Waiting......

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1050 comments Hey everybody! So excited to start TT with you all, and we’ll seems like we’ve got the best theme this round. Of course we’re on the best team! Voracity, yes please. We’re all voracious readers and I know we’re going to devour the competitor.

So this is my first time captaining in NBRC, though I’ve captained many many times in other groups. My schedules a little sporadic since I’m an actor/producer in Los Angeles and I bartend in between film gigs so week to week my schedule changes. Usually though I have time to check in at least once a day.

As a reader I’ll read anything. My favorite genres are fantasy/romance/paranormal/sci-fi anything like that. But really if it’s a good book I’m in.

Can’t wait to get to know all of you! Let me know if you have any questions.

message 15: by Minx (last edited Sep 18, 2019 02:05PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Hello lovely Teamies! I too am very excited to be sharing this TT experience with you. I am happy to be co-captaining this challenge with Shelby and looking forward to getting to know you all better.

As far as availability, I will try to be as present as I can. Weekends are a little nuts for me but I will be checking in daily.

My moniker is The Genre Minx and I am a book reviewer at The Genre Minx Book Reviews website. I created my name because I like to sample many different genres. I like to read whatever catches my fancy. :D Which will work out great for this challenge.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

message 16: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1852 comments Hi Shelby, Minx and my fellow teammates. I've been in a reading slump lately but I love TT and group challenges in general. I will read pretty much anything and am willing to read what is required to complete group challenges. I do majority of my reading on weekends but check in every day. So excited to begin.

message 17: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Maritza wrote: "Hi Shelby, Minx and my fellow teammates. I've been in a reading slump lately but I love TT and group challenges in general. I will read pretty much anything and am willing to read what is required ..."

Hi!! Waves excitedly!! Let's see what we can do to get you out of that slump :D. Once everyone checks in we will start organizing our thoughts and planning.

message 18: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1852 comments Sounds good. Just trying to finish off some of my yearly challenges for the rest of the month.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at least once a day. I am going out of town this weekend, tomorrow night through Sunday night, but I will be bringing my computer with me and will try to check in at least once a day there also.

Excited to start! This is my first TT, but I've done a bunch of other challenges

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1483 comments hello fellow teammates, how's everyone doing?

I read a lot of young adult contemporary and have kind of a love-hate relationship with thrillers (I actually love them, but I haven't read one in forever since the last time I read one I read 3 in a row and that messed with my head quite a bit), but actually my taste in books is all over the place :D
I usually get most of my reading done on weekdays as weekends are just crazy at work, but since we're going into fall work will probably quiet down a little bit too + I'm always able to check in after work at night if I haven't had the chance to do so before.

while walking our dog tonight I started having a headache which seems to have turned into a migraine as looking at the screen and tv hurts even more so I'll be off for tonight.

before I go though, where are you all from /what time zones are you in? I live in Austria, GMT+1 :)

message 21: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at least once a day. I am going out of town this weekend, ..."

Oooh, a weekend jaunt, how fun! I hope it is to somewhere exciting!!

message 22: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Christina wrote: "hello fellow teammates, how's everyone doing?

I read a lot of young adult contemporary and have kind of a love-hate relationship with thrillers (I actually love them, but I haven't read one in for..."

I hope your migraine goes away very fast! They are the worst.

I am in Arizona, Mountain Standard Time, GMT-7

message 23: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1852 comments NYC. Never could figure out time zone and don't know what GMT is.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at least once a day. I am going out of town..."

Not too exciting, just home to Ohio (from TX) for my Grandpa's 80th birthday, but I think it will be a good time! They really have the best food, I'm excited to eat like crazy for a few days.

Central time zone for me!

message 25: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Maritza wrote: "NYC. Never could figure out time zone and don't know what GMT is."

Eastern Time Zone your time zone and GMT just means Greenwich Mean Time and your GMT is GMT-5

Now you are in the know :D

message 26: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at least once a day. I am goin..."

Cool! We moved from the Dallas area a little over a year ago.

message 27: by May (new)

May (a novel reader) (novellareckless) | 30 comments Hey teammates! I'm May, I read a little bit of everything, but I'm particularly fond of anything with a weird or spooky premise. I work at a bookstore, so I get drawn into new releases pretty regularly.

This is only my second round of Tower Teams, but it was my favourite challenge that I did a couple years ago and I'm delighted to get back into it!

message 28: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments May wrote: "Hey teammates! I'm May, I read a little bit of everything, but I'm particularly fond of anything with a weird or spooky premise. I work at a bookstore, so I get drawn into new releases pretty regul..."

Hi, May! So excited to "meet" you. If I worked in a bookstore.....sigh.....there would be little in way of a paycheck for me, lol.

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Hey ya'll! I'm Mama. This is my first time with TT but am up for a new challenge. Hubs & I live close to Houston so CST for me. I should be able to check in almost every day. I have some health issues so there might be some days I do not check in. Most of the genres I read are HR, PNR, Dark Romance & every once in awhile if I need it for a challenge I may read a Rom-Com.

message 30: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1852 comments Minx wrote: "Maritza wrote: "NYC. Never could figure out time zone and don't know what GMT is."

Eastern Time Zone your time zone and GMT just means Greenwich Mean Time and your GMT is GMT-5

Now you are in the..."

I always learn so much from these teams. Thanks.

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1483 comments I'm feeling much better today, thankfully a painkiller and some sleep helped a lot!

And now I'm getting ready to go to the post office and the library *rubs hands together*

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at least once a..."

Dallas is where I'm at! I wouldn't mind moving from here, its a constant conversation with the husband but here we are.

Hi May and Mama!

message 33: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1852 comments FYI @ home my parents call me Mama. Don't know why I thought you guys should know that it's just that every time I see Mamacita's name it comes to me. Oh well back to work.

message 34: by Minx (last edited Sep 19, 2019 07:07AM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at..."

lol, we move about every 2 years. So when we move from here I am thinking Houston or southern east coast. My hubs is from Houston and vows to never go back...sooooo probably won't be happening. We have lived in San Antonio and Dallas (actually Frisco) so I think we are done with Texas.

message 35: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Maritza wrote: "FYI @ home my parents call me Mama. Don't know why I thought you guys should know that it's just that every time I see Mamacita's name it comes to me. Oh well back to work."

Too funny! It will take some getting used to :D

message 36: by Minx (last edited Sep 19, 2019 07:13AM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments While we are waiting for everyone to check in and since the weekend is coming up let's be checking what books we have to see what works for the challenge, especially if we have Sin Bingo Books.

If you look at the original sign-up form

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

You will see how many books we are expected to read a week per player. If you want to read more than what is listed there, that is fine but we need to be communicating that with the team because if we don't read enough or of we read too much we will be penalized.

and don't worry about the .25 etc, lol, we can make that all work out. Like if a .25er wants to read an extra book and a .75er wants to read one less. we will make this work,

message 37: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Also:

Is anyone already planning on participating in either of the upcoming BOM's? We get points for participation but only one of the team needs to do that and I'd like to see if we have anyone already planning to.

Here is a listing of future BOM's:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Maritza wrote: "FYI @ home my parents call me Mama. Don't know why I thought you guys should know that it's just that every time I see Mamacita's name it comes to me. Oh well back to work."

LOL. All my friends started calling me that along w/ my family cause I would always invite everyone over for supper.

I know in Texas all the Latino families call their little girls Mama. Not sure if it's a Latino thing or just a Texas Latino thing. I think it's adorable.

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able to check in at..."

I'd trade places with you. I'm from Arkansas but hubs is from Houston. When we retired from the military Texas was the only option for husband. I would prefer more of the 4 Seasons. He does not wanna get too far from being in "Texans" country & be surrounded by "Cowboy" country. So our deal is he gets to pick where, I get to pick the house. Lol

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I will be able..."

Done with Texas...

I'm a great HR Reader. Don't make me switch teams now... Jk

So, if you don't mind me asking why do ya'll move so often? My hubs was AD AF for 30yrs, so I'm used to that. In fact we've been here 18 months, and I've already got "the itch".

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Minx wrote: "While we are waiting for everyone to check in and since the weekend is coming up let's be checking what books we have to see what works for the challenge, especially if we have Sin Bingo Books.

I..."

There are penalties if we read too much? What?

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Minx wrote: "Also:

Is anyone already planning on participating in either of the upcoming BOM's? We get points for participation but only one of the team needs to do that and I'd like to see if we have anyone ..."

I know I won't be reading BOM. I only read romance & don't read YA.

As far as Sin Bingo goes...
How much of a stretch do they allow? Like as far as the binge reading goes? Do you have to read them one right after another or just read one from that author or series every month?

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 226 comments Christina wrote: "I'm feeling much better today, thankfully a painkiller and some sleep helped a lot!

And now I'm getting ready to go to the post office and the library *rubs hands together*"

Glad you are feeling better today Christina. I suffer from migraines quite often & they suck ass.

message 44: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1483 comments I'm still in the library, have picked out 4 books but haven't found any from my soon-tbr list I made for TT so far... I'm currently contemplating taking the subway to the main library where I could get Starbucks as well, send help! 😅

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments I was looking for Sin Bingo books last night, I think I found a few but I am on the hunt for more, I need to make sure my understanding of how to get Bingo is right but I think I have it (hopefully)

Sloth:

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1) by Mark Lawrence is blue, dark fantasy on MGP, has been on my TBR since 7/17

Greed:
Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman hopefully this is yellow enough, has dystopian on MGP, anything goes book

message 46: by Minx (last edited Sep 19, 2019 11:27AM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Ashley wrote: "I was looking for Sin Bingo books last night, I think I found a few but I am on the hunt for more, I need to make sure my understanding of how to get Bingo is right but I think I have it (hopefully..."

Your book for Sloth fits everything perfectly and if anyone asks it is 90.1% blue on Tineye.

Greed - That book is green for sure but it is also YA and Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon from Team Invidia read it July 24, 2019. So that one works too ;D

message 47: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Christina wrote: "I'm still in the library, have picked out 4 books but haven't found any from my soon-tbr list I made for TT so far... I'm currently contemplating taking the subway to the main library where I could..."

I hope got a yummy Starbucks drink if you went to the Main library and that you also found more books. :D

message 48: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Mamacita wants a Bedtime Story wrote: "Minx wrote: "Also:

Is anyone already planning on participating in either of the upcoming BOM's? We get points for participation but only one of the team needs to do that and I'd like to see if we..."

I will ask this to the Captain's thread and let you know. ;D

message 49: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Mamacita wants a Bedtime Story wrote: "Minx wrote: "While we are waiting for everyone to check in and since the weekend is coming up let's be checking what books we have to see what works for the challenge, especially if we have Sin Bin..."

Here is that info. I will also put it in comment #11 if you need to find it again.

Each week we'll do a team analysis of books read vs books signed up
Teams that stay in the 80% - 120% reading range get an additional 50 points
Teams that fall below the 80% mark get a penalty of -20 points
Teams that go over the 120% cap but stay under the 250% get a penalty of -100 points
Teams that go over the 250% mark get a penalty of -200 points

Each team is balanced at 38 books per week. So the range of books we can read without penalties is 30 - 46.

message 50: by Minx (last edited Sep 19, 2019 03:23PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Mamacita wants a Bedtime Story wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Minx wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! Checking in!

I am mostly a fantasy reader, but have been trying to read some other things lately. I..."

lol, I am not "done" with Texas like that. I like Texas just fine.

Ok - I grew up military and my dad was an engineer. So we moved every 2-3 years my entire childhood. Which I liked. So I continue to do the same. When I was a young adult I moved to different towns then once graduating college I started to skip around to states. Then I met my hubs when I moved to San Antonio and then we moved to NY, then TX, now AZ, and soon.....where ever strikes our fancy.

So we move because we just find other work in a city we want to live in. although, with the kids getting older we are going to have to find a state that we can stay in but staying in one city is a stretch.....lol.....

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18