What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Goodknyght! (Tales of the Dark Forest)
This topic is about Goodknyght!
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids Fantasy Series - Light-Hearted Parody set in a mysterious woods with cities/towns. Featuring knight-wannabes, badass ladies, talking harps, super-fast non-magic using wizards, and of course, dragons! [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Storyteller_Arc | 5 comments Hey guys, gals and non-binary pals! As the title said, I'm looking for a series of light-hearted fantasy books for kids. I read the series sometime in the 2000s, and it was in English. Sorry, I can't be more help there. I am rather certain that the series has at least four books, however, I've only read 1 & 4. The book covers all had the characters look like they were in a cartoon as well... I think? Hard to remember, sorry.

Book 1 has some of the typical strokes of a fantasy novel. It features a city in a dark and mysterious forest. A young plucky lad who wants to be a knight, and is sent on a quest to head through the Forest to slay a dragon. One that I'm 90% sure lives in a mountain, or mountain range. He’s joined by a lady who I’m pretty sure lives in said forest, and wields a crossbow? I think that’s her weapon of choice? Anyway, I don’t remember the middle bit too much, but I do remember the ending:

(view spoiler)

Now, I think the next two books follow other characters, and one of them is either called ‘Wizard!’ or ‘Wizzard!’. Focusing on the creation of a potion that turns one of the characters into a Wizard. Except instead of being a creature of great magical talent and powers. It gives them the power of super-speed. Pretty useful for traversing the forest and going from settlement to settlement safely.

Book 4 focuses back on the knight and the crossbow lady, who has also picked up a talking harp. They arrive at a city that is beset by a ‘Knightmare’, a knight-looking creature that invades people’s dreams and makes it so they can never wake up! I don’t remember too much of this, except for the fact that the (view spoiler) and that the final confrontation is, of course, a jousting competition between our main hero and the Knightmare! With the Knightmare removing the fencing that keeps the two horses from smashing into one another as they joust.

That’s everything I can recall at this time. Here’s hoping that people can help me find this series. I would love to buy it and read it properly after all these years. Who knows, maybe there are more books in the series as well?

Really hope this is a good and informative opening post, I’ll try my best to answer any questions you might have!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Storyteller_arc
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 92 from two months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

Storyteller_Arc | 5 comments Yeah, I know how the bumping works, thanks for letting me know. Just wasn't entirely sure what the chances were when I hadn't got a single reply at all, not even any questions to try and narrow it down.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments Well, after about a half hour or more of searching, I think I found your series.
Tales of the Dark Forest Series by Steve Barlow
https://www.goodreads.com/series/66522

message 5: by Storyteller_Arc (last edited Nov 21, 2019 03:11PM) (new)

Storyteller_Arc | 5 comments Well. Damn. That's exactly it, thank you very much!

... Wait there's only 4 books in the series? Awwwww... I was hoping there's more. Can't remember if the series had a satisfying ending or not...

message 6: by Bonnie (last edited Nov 21, 2019 06:23PM) (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments You're welcome :) You can always try his other series.