Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Wrap-up

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:56PM) (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
That’s a wrap on our third read-a-thon of 2019!

1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions?
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts?
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon?
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons?

You're welcome to go back and do any of the challenges/games you're interested in that you may have missed!

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Be on a look out for the winner of the individual challenge, along with general participation badges.

I’ll work on them as soon as I survive battling this awful head cold :p

message 3: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6933 comments Mod
1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
- 4 Books! 1220 Pages! Holy cow.

- Considering I only read 5 books in the whole of August, I would say I smashed my reading goals for the week (or I would have, if I had set them). It was a very busy week at work, but I'm proud of what I accomplished.

- Just the reading, this time. I didn't participate as much in the games and things, but I really enjoyed the reading.

- Either The Last Time I Lied or I'll Give You the Sun. Both were so, so good.

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
- My group was a quiet bunch (I think we had literally half of the messages posted as the other groups), and we didn't finish quest 3. I didn't mind, since I was so busy, but I will say that I liked the smaller groups this time around, and the quest thing was fun without being too full of pressure. It felt more of a competition with ourselves rather than with each other, and I think that made it more fun to participate in. I would honestly say that this was my favorite Read-A-Thon, despite my group's lack of... sharing lol. I'd rather be in a more talkative group, but the challenge itself was great.

- For sure!

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished off 2 books, and read 4 whole books. Total of 1744 pages.

Just life in general – it was a busy week, and I always check in with Goodreads too often!! Although, because I was the only person living in Australia with everyone else in Europe/Britain, after checking the overnight stuff that happened on GR when I first woke up, because everyone was heading off to bed at that point, there wasn't actually anyone to play with or communicate with in my team until about 3pm when everyone started waking up again! So that was kind of good, in a sense - less distraction! I didn’t actually have any reading goals, except to read as much as I could. Team Pie finished the 4th quest on the final day, so we were all very happy with our progress!

I definitely had fun. I really enjoy working together as a team to finish quests!

My favourite read was my last read – Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (and I probably wouldn’t have read it if it hadn’t been mentioned in a team game and we needed another of those books to cross off!)

I liked that this read-a-thon was less frenetic than the first one I did back in June. However the less frenetic pace was reflected in how much I read – I just checked back on my totals from last time – and I read about 400 more pages last time!! But this pace was good - I thought it felt like a good level of activity and it kept my interest up to see what the next quest involved. It was probably more work for the mods, though! I look forward to seeing what the next one involves...!

Yes!

message 5: by Ellie (last edited Sep 17, 2019 02:41AM) (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1694 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I read three whole books and finished off two more (but less than 125 pages in each of those). This was a total of 1336 pages (although over half was on audio).

I would have liked to have read more rather than listened but my brain was managing to distract itself last week.

I thought the quest aspect was fun, I wish I'd have been more organised to try the individual quest! Thanks for organising the teams by time zone, it was nice to be awake at similar times!

The Testaments

I did miss having pages count towards the team challenge, otherwise it's discouraging when you're reading a chunkster and can't contribute anything until half way through the week.

Yes

message 6: by MKay (new)

MKay | 55 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? Finished 2
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Yes, work definitely and ravel because I had to drive, but I did listen to one audio book.
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? Yes, not sure
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Grandma Gatewood's Walk. Very inspiring.
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Likely

message 7: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 5 books (one started before the read-a-thon), 1372 pages
I'm very happy with the amount of reading I did, but I have to say I picked some very easy to read books. But they where on my TBR already for a long time and they fitted the quest :)
(one of my goals it to lower my mount TBR)

Yes because I had fun and no because I didn't read a book from my currently reading pile. Work and plans I already had in the weekend.

It was fun, I liked working together on the team quest and doing the individual quest.

An Echo of Things to Come

No suggestions, keep up the good work :)

Yes :)

message 8: by Edie (new)

Edie | 825 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 5 - didn't track the number of pages
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Yes... missed several days of reading because of surgery
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? Yes, it was fun. I particularly liked the first Quest... the flexibility in slotting books and the idea of looking at the many shelves books get placed in.
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon?A Fault in Our Stars
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? Liked having the smaller teams and the flexibility of the prompts.
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Yes

message 9: by Joan (last edited Sep 22, 2019 09:42AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1520 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? I finished The Thorn Birds and I read The Prince and the Dressmaker
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? No I wanted to finish Atonement
Work and Netflix were my distractions
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? I really liked the individual quest. I wish I had more time to do it.
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? The Prince and the Dressmaker - It was a cute graphic novel
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? More individual quests would be fun.
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? yes