YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Institute
This topic is about The Institute
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > The Institute by Stephen King - Restarting March 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84071 comments Mod
In the middle of the night, in a house on a quiet street in suburban Minneapolis, intruders silently murder Luke Ellis’s parents and load him into a black SUV. The operation takes less than two minutes. Luke will wake up at The Institute, in a room that looks just like his own, except there’s no window. And outside his door are other doors, behind which are other kids with special talents—telekinesis and telepathy—who got to this place the same way Luke did: Kalisha, Nick, George, Iris, and ten-year-old Avery Dixon. They are all in Front Half. Others, Luke learns, graduated to Back Half, “like the roach motel,” Kalisha says. “You check in, but you don’t check out.”

In this most sinister of institutions, the director, Mrs. Sigsby, and her staff are ruthlessly dedicated to extracting from these children the force of their extranormal gifts. There are no scruples here. If you go along, you get tokens for the vending machines. If you don’t, punishment is brutal. As each new victim disappears to Back Half, Luke becomes more and more desperate to get out and get help. But no one has ever escaped from the Institute.

As psychically terrifying as Firestarter, and with the spectacular kid power of It, The Institute is Stephen King’s gut-wrenchingly dramatic story of good vs. evil in a world where the good guys don’t always win.

Ashleigh | 3290 comments 13% - (view spoiler)

message 3: by Krystal (last edited Sep 16, 2019 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Seems like my library was wrong and I’m number 17 for holds... so not sure when I will get this.

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Krystal wrote: "Seems like my library was wrong and I’m number 17 for homes... so not sure when I will get this."

Aww not cool.... Sorry hun.

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Im start tonight.... Cant wait...

message 6: by Lesa (last edited Sep 16, 2019 10:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments The Night Knockers
(view spoiler)

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments The Smart Kid
(view spoiler)

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Shots For Dots
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Lesa (last edited Sep 17, 2019 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Ashleigh wrote: "13% - Oh wow, this book is interesting and crazy!

@ashleigh (view spoiler)

message 10: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Maureen and Avery
(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3290 comments @Lesa (view spoiler)

message 12: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments @ashleigh
(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3290 comments 32% - (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Escape
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Looking forward to reading this! Massive SK fan <3

Ashleigh | 3290 comments I need to catch up with you Lesa!

message 17: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I need to catch up with you Lesa!"

I had a mini break so you can probably caught up. I was reading The Ten Thousand Doors of Janaury now Im reading Baby Teeth. Then ill get back to this and also The Dragon Republic too.

message 18: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Hell Is Waiting
(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3290 comments I had caught up to you, but you've sped past me again :)

50% (Up to end of Escape) - (view spoiler)

message 20: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I had caught up to you, but you've sped past me again :)

50% (Up to end of Escape) - [spoilers removed]"

Lol.... You will be able to catch up now. Going to read some more of Spin the Dawn....

message 21: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Hell is here
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Big Phone
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 1% - couldn’t resist (bit of teen son badgering), but I do wonder if this is cashing-in on the excitement around part two of IT coming out.

Ashleigh | 3290 comments 62% - (view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3290 comments 71% - (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 4% - I was expecting a dramatic opening with the child being abducted. Not quite sure how our resident drifter Tim is linked to things, but it’s an intriguing start.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 7% The Night Knocker. Slightly off expected focus, but I’m intrigued. King does small-town so well.

Ashleigh | 3290 comments Finished - (view spoiler)

message 30: by Lesa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Ashleigh wrote: "

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 14% - The Smart Kid. Precociously clever,but just a child. Luke’s kidnapping was clinical.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 22% - shots for dots. My first thought is that what’s going on doesn’t seem so bad, which immediately makes me suspicious there’s a lot we’re not being told and it’s probably terrifying.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 37% - Maureen and Avery. Some unpleasant details of some of the tests being undertaken. Luke is certainly going to need to use everything he has to find out anything.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 50% - Escape. Though you suspect it has to go that way, it’s still a pretty gutsy move from Luke. Do wonder how this will develop.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments 62% - Hell is Waiting. Luke is in danger. So close, and I’ve got my fingers tightly crossed that Tim will do his thing.

Karen Barber | 10592 comments Hell is Here. So, don’t underestimate small-town Southern residents with guns...is there a chance this might work out for Luke?

Karen Barber | 10592 comments Finished. Review on home page. Enough plausibility here to keep the conspiracy theories alive.

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47351 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting November 1st 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Only to chapter 11...... (view spoiler)

message 40: by Wiktoria (new) - added it

Wiktoria (wiktoria6600) | 388 comments Krystal wrote: "Only to chapter 11...... [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Wiktoria (new) - added it

Wiktoria (wiktoria6600) | 388 comments I need to put this read on hold because it got returned to the library. There's quite a lot of holds on it.

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Wiktoria wrote: "I need to put this read on hold because it got returned to the library. There's quite a lot of holds on it."

I'm honestly okay with that. I can't seem to truly get into it. I do want to read it though so let me know when you get it back.

message 43: by Wiktoria (new) - added it

Wiktoria (wiktoria6600) | 388 comments okay will do!

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Wiktoria wrote: "okay will do!"

I have to turn my physical copy in anyway. The ebook says I'm like 4 months out LOL.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84071 comments Mod

Date changed. Restarting March 1st 2020. Happy Reading ☺

message 46: by Cinthia (new) - added it

Cinthia | 5775 comments Joining I hope u guys don't mind :)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments The more the merrier!

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 9% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 20% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 33% (view spoiler)

« previous 1