The Sword and Laser discussion

Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
This topic is about Trail of Lightning
Trail of Lightning > ToL: Sequel?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 207 comments No spoilers, but has anyone read the sequel? Looking for general impressions.

I was really enjoying Trail of Lightning until the ending, which felt a bit muddled. Curious as to whether the sequel gives a greater understanding to the ending and if it's worth picking up. I'm kinda on the fence about whether to continue with the sequel or not currently.

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3863 comments I'm halfway through the sequel and am starting to zone out on the obvious trope plotting. But it doesn't stink and there is some good character growth. If you're like me and read fast, read a lot and can get it easily (library had it available) then give it a try.

To answer the specific question, by the halfway point the ending of the first book isn't really addressed in particular, but as the plot advances parts of it are addressed.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 207 comments I got the first book from the library and read if in three days. A bit unusual for me bc I think I tend to go through digital books much quicker. Not sure if they have the sequel, I’ll have to check.

Trike | 8176 comments I’ve read the sequel and it’s official: Roanhorse is bad at endings. Her writing overall is a bit smoother, but it’s pretty much more of the same.

My review, which has a spoiler tag at the end *for* the end: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 338 comments I read the 2nd book and it was very much along the same line (enjoyed it and will continue the series).

No spoiler here, but Maggie takes a moral stand that seems noble but fairly questionable under the circumstances lol

message 6: by Adelaide (last edited Sep 22, 2019 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adelaide Blair I just finished the sequel. It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but it was enjoyable enough, and I will read further in the series. I don't usually like urban fantasy, so these books have been a nice surprise.

Kelli C (kellimcassell) | 73 comments I had a really hard time getting into this book. The premise was promising but the motivations behind people's decisions (especially Mags) left me scratching my head. I know she was traumatized but her logic about certain things just seemed off to me--or not well enough explained by the author. And the whole Kai/Mags relationship...those two had NO chemistry. Of course that's just my opinion. I don't think I'll be continuing on with the story, but I'm enjoying all the comments about it. I wish I read faster so I'd have time to continue on with books that I just liked but didn't love.