You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

YLTO Member Zone > Jayme's Continually Changing Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayme (last edited Sep 29, 2019 11:24AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments SEPTEMBER 2019

PROGRESSIVE WOMEN"S BOOK CLUB
There There 9/7/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)

LOCAL LIBRARY BOOK CLUB

YLTO GROUP READ
The Girl in Red 9/9/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)

YLTO MONTHLY CHALLENGE

NEWEST LITERARY FICTION GROUP READ
The Nickel Boys 9/2/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)

SERIES KILLING SPREE
The Last Town 9/22/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)

YLTO YEARLY CHALLENGE
The Travelling Cat Chronicles 9/4/19
Unsheltered 9/29/19

JUST BECAUSE

message 2: by Jayme (last edited Oct 31, 2019 06:31AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments OCTOBER 2019

PROGRESSIVE WOMEN'S BOOK CLUB
What the Wind Knows 9/26/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)

LOCAL LIBRARY BOOK CLUB
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (already read)

GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS CHALLENGE
The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers 10/20/19

YLTO GROUP READ

YLTO MONTHLY CHALLENGE
The Haunting of Hill House 10/09/19

NEWEST LITERARY FICTION GROUP READ
The Memory Police 10/31/19

SERIES KILLING SPREE
Throne of Jade 10/4/19 (also worked for yearly challenge)
The Strangers on Montagu Street 10/28/19

YLTO YEARLY CHALLENGE
The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock 10/8/19
Waiting for Eden 10/12/19
Half Blood Blues 10/6/19
The Kurdish Bike 10/2/19

JUST BECAUSE
A Woman Is No Man 10/21/19
Evvie Drake Starts Over 10/10/19
The Man Who Saw Everything 10/28/19
Daisy Jones & The Six 10/24/19

YLTO TOPPLER
One Station Away 10/14/19
Ready Player One 10/16/19
Fahrenheit 451 10/13/19
Here's to Us 10/17/19
The Tenth Island: Finding Joy, Beauty, and Unexpected Love in the Azores 10/18/19

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I just got both of the September group read books yesterday and today. I see you have already read them.

Interested to hear how you like What the Wind Knows. I have seen some of the reviews. Sounds interesting but it did not work for some of those I know.

I have to stop looking at your yearly challenge books. I keep adding them to my list. ;o)

message 4: by Jayme (last edited Sep 22, 2019 06:46PM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Cherie wrote: "I just got both of the September group read books yesterday and today. I see you have already read them.

Interested to hear how you like What the Wind Knows. I have seen some of the reviews. Soun..."

I know. I keep looking at people who have been badged and keep adding, and adding and adding.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Made September's goal. If I hit October's goal I will finish badge 3 of the YLTO yearly challenge. Crossing fingers.

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I'm crossing my fingers for you too!

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments I may not like being immobile for 3 weeks, but I am getting a lot of reading done. Finished the YLTO Yearly Challenge, 5 books for the October Toppler and getting a jump start on my book club reads.

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Jayme wrote: "I may not like being immobile for 3 weeks, but I am getting a lot of reading done. Finished the YLTO Yearly Challenge, 5 books for the October Toppler and getting a jump start on my book club reads."

Awesome!

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Could not finish The Zookeeper's Wife. Movie was definitely better than the book. Should be a fun discussion at book club in November.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Jayme wrote: "Could not finish The Zookeeper's Wife. Movie was definitely better than the book. Should be a fun discussion at book club in November."

We read this book for our real life book club as well. I listened to the audiobook and rather enjoyed it. We were going to watch the movie as a group, but that fell through.

message 11: by Jayme (last edited Oct 24, 2019 03:09AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Janice wrote: "Jayme wrote: "Could not finish The Zookeeper's Wife. Movie was definitely better than the book. Should be a fun discussion at book club in November."

We read this book for our real ..."

I may have to give audiobooks a try. Several friends have said that I would really enjoy them and some books are better listening to - maybe The Zookeepers Wife was one of them. . I have started listening to podcosts when I walk, so maybe audiobooks are the next step. :)

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I really enjoy audiobooks. They're great for long road trips. It's 6 hours to my dad's and they make the time zip by.

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments I agree about audiobooks. Sometimes, they really CAN make a book better. I always have one to listen to on a road trip, but I listen to at least one or two a week, just doing chores and giving my eyes a rest. There are some series that I cannot imagine not listening to, just for the sound of the narrator's voice. The Maisie Dobbs series in narrated by a woman. She gives so much ambiance to the stories. I am not sure you will like this Victorian England detective, but the Charles Lenox Mysteries, written by Charles Finch and narrated by James Langdon are wonderful.
I cannot begin to tell you how many books I have listened to, narrated by Simon Vance. Check this one out, just for a hoot, when you are ready. Jane Steele. You know the author. Simon Vance narrated her book Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson.

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Cherie wrote: "I agree about audiobooks. Sometimes, they really CAN make a book better. I always have one to listen to on a road trip, but I listen to at least one or two a week, just doing chores and giving my e..."

Jane Steele looks good. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for your insight.

message 15: by Jayme (last edited Oct 26, 2019 05:55AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments My flags for the November challenge

message 16: by Jayme (last edited Oct 30, 2019 05:35AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments The only good thing about having surgery and being immobile is that I read 18 books in October and might be able to squeeze one more in. However, I do not recommend it as a continuing course of action. :)

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments If you need a book with a blue cover for your Argentina flag, I was checking Ship of Fools Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter . It was mentioned in a book I am reading.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments Cherie wrote: "If you need a book with a blue cover for your Argentina flag, I was checking Ship of FoolsShip of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter. It was mentioned in a book I am reading."

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if I'll read it for the challenge, but I did add it to my TBR list. It looks good.

message 19: by Jayme (last edited Dec 02, 2019 07:25AM) (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments NOVEMBER 2019

There There (already read)

GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS CHALLENGE
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle 11/19/19

LOCAL LIBRARY BOOK CLUB
The Zookeeper's Wife - DNF

YLTO GROUP READ
The Glass Woman 11/8/19

YLTO MONTHLY CHALLENGE
The Great Passage 11/16/19

SERIES KILLING SPREE
Return to Tradd Street 11/4/19
The Guests on South Battery 11/24/19

YLTO YEARLY CHALLENGE
COMPLETED

CLEAR THE SHELVES
Fourth of July Creek did not get to - this may end up in our local library charity book drive. Can't seem to read it

JUST BECAUSE
The Great Halifax Explosion: A World War I Story of Treachery, Tragedy, and Extraordinary Heroism didn't get to : ( I think I may save for 2020 Yearly Challenge)
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek 11/1/19
Red at the Bone 11/15/19
The Huntress 11/29/19

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments November was productive. I read a total of 9 books. I can definitely tell that I am feeling better. As I've become mobile again my book consumption went down from 18 books in October to 9 books in November.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2290 comments DECEMBER 2019 PLANS

Holiday Social :)

LOCAL LIBRARY BOOK CLUB
The Nest (already read)

GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS 2019 CHALLENGE
Completed

GRCA BUDDY READ Starts Dec 7th
The Fountains of Silence

YLTO GROUP READ
Out of the Easy