Dare to Dream discussion

The Institute
This topic is about The Institute
Seasonal Reading Challenges > FALL 2019 READING CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Rachel | 2831 comments The Fall 2019 Reading Challenge starts September 10th and ends November 30th.

Rules of the challenge:

Read 3 books (or more)
Complete 3 tasks (or more)
All genres okay
Rereads okay

Complete 3 (or more) of the following:

1 Several authors celebrate birthdays in the fall.

So this fall,
READ A BOOK BY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

Laurie R. King (sept. 19th)
Ocean Vuong (oct.14th)
Liane Moriarty (nov.15th)
Han Kang (nov.27th)

2.. Halloween = Candy (and Candy Corn).

So this fall,
READ A BOOK WITH THE LETTERS
C-A-N-D-Y or C-O-R-N IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

3. The Institute by Stephen King will be published September 10th. It’s the group read.

So this fall,
READ THE INSTITUTE AND CHAT ABOUT IT WITH THE GROUP.

4. The Goldfinch will be released in theaters September 13th.

So this fall,
READ A BOOK IN WHICH ART IS IMPORTANT TO THE STORY
or
READ A BOOK BY DONNA TARTT

5. Zombieland 2 will be released in theaters October 18th.

So this fall,
READ A BOOK ABOUT ZOMBIES
or
READ A HORROR NOVELIST ‘S SECOND NOVEL
or
READ A BOOK THAT BLENDS HORROR WITH COMEDY

6. A beautiful day in the neighborhood will be released in theaters November 22nd.

So this fall,
READ A BOOK ABOUT MR. ROGERS
or
READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES CHARACTERS LIVING IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD.

7. Random task- This task counts towards the challenge but is not inspired by the season.

So this fall,
READ A BOOK BY AN AUTHOR WHO WRITES (OR HAS WRITTEN) UNDER MORE THAN ONE NAME.

HAPPY AUTUMN, EVERYONE! :D

message 2: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Thank you for another wonderful challenge!

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Thank you for another wonderful challenge!"

You’re welcome! Glad you like it. :D

Christine | 727 comments Another fantastic book challenge. I’m really looking forward to some fall reading!

Christine | 727 comments Almost forgot to say Thank You! I really appreciate your time and creativity when it comes to the challenges!!!

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "Almost forgot to say Thank You! I really appreciate your time and creativity when it comes to the challenges!!!"

You’re welcome, Christine! I’m glad you guys still want to do the challenges with me. :D

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2478 comments Mod
Hell Yeah! I wanted to read The Institute and The Goldfinch anyway. Another Fantastic Fall Reading Challenge :-)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Hell Yeah! I wanted to read The Institute and The Goldfinch anyway. Another Fantastic Fall Reading Challenge :-)"

Glad you like it! :D

Christine | 727 comments Hey everyone! I've been kind of out of the loop over the summer. I had been training for a hiking trip in Scotland. I just got back. The trip was magical and the training paid off. Anyway, I'm back home and reading is back to being my focus. The Institute arrived while I was gone, so I am ready to read it any time.

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "Hey everyone! I've been kind of out of the loop over the summer. I had been training for a hiking trip in Scotland. I just got back. The trip was magical and the training paid off. Anyway, I'm back..."

Welcome back, Christine! Sounds like an amazing trip. :)

Rachel | 2831 comments I also would love to read The Institute by Stephen King with the group. I’m pretty flexible as to when I can start-if the library wait is too long-I’m just going to buy it. :)

message 12: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Your trip sounds fantastic Christine!

I went to the library on Thursday and the librarian who orders books was out and the librarians there had no clue if it was ordered.

Happy reading!

Christine | 727 comments So in keeping Scotland with me a while longer, I listened to The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan A very sweet book.

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "So in keeping Scotland with me a while longer, I listened to The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan A very sweet book."

Thanks for the update, Christine! :)

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Your trip sounds fantastic Christine!

I went to the library on Thursday and the librarian who orders books was out and the librarians there had no clue if it was ordered.

Happy reading!"

Are you on the library’s waiting list?

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin do you have a copy of the king book or on a waiting list?

Rachel | 2831 comments Hope everyone is well :D

message 18: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Woo hoo! I now am a proud owner of Institute by King. While in a store I pointed out to my hubby that Stephen Kings new book was on the end display, third shelf down. Go grab it. Don’t have to tell me twice.

Am hoping to finish the three books I am currently tackling, but will start whenever it is convenient for everyone.

Happy Fall!

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Woo hoo! I now am a proud owner of Institute by King. While in a store I pointed out to my hubby that Stephen Kings new book was on the end display, third shelf down. Go grab it. Don’t have to tell..."

Awesome! Happy Fall :D

Rachel | 2831 comments How does October 1st work for everyone? Is that a reasonable start date or is November 1st preferable. Either works for me. :)

message 21: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments Listened to Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It was a good book.

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "Listened to Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It was a good book."

Thanks for the update, Danell! :)

Christine | 727 comments I think Oct. 1st works great for a start for The Institute. It will give me time to finish up a couple other books.

Can you believe its almost October! I love the fall. The leaves are just starting to change here yet but snow is forecast for the Cascades. Woohoo!

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "I think Oct. 1st works great for a start for The Institute. It will give me time to finish up a couple other books.

Can you believe its almost October! I love the fall. The leaves..."

September seemed to go by in a blink-then again I say that every month. :)

I think October is the perfect time for the group read too.

Christine wrote: "Hey everyone! I've been kind of out of the loop over the summer. I had been training for a hiking trip in Scotland. I just got back. The trip was magical and the training paid off. Anyway, I'm back..."

Amazing! Congratulations! :-) I have some Scottish ancestry. I do find our homelands intriguing. I am always fascinated by how the present is connected to the past. I like finding magic in our modern world.

Rachel wrote: "Dustin do you have a copy of the king book or on a waiting list?"

I'm currently on the wait list at the library, but I'm willing to buy a copy if I can't borrow one in the near future :-)

Danell wrote: "Listened to Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It was a good book."

I think that's the book the television show was based on. I watched the show on DVD and downloaded the soundtrack :-)

I plan to read What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

What Alice Forgot

I can always catch up if y'all have started The Institute. I have downloaded the audiobook already. I just like to have the printed book to follow along with.

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Danell wrote: "Listened to Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It was a good book."

I think that's the book the television show was based on. I watched the show on DVD and downloaded the soundtrack..."

I loved the book and the tv show. The first season was based on the book but the show was so popular they added a second season. The author also contributed to the storyline for season 2 which was written just for the show which was cool.

Rachel | 2831 comments I haven’t started The Institute yet but was planning on starting soon.

Has anyone started it yet?

:D

Rachel wrote: "The first season was based on the book but the show was so popular they added a second season. The author also contributed to the storyline for season 2 which was written just for the show which was cool."

That is interesting. I guess I should watch Season Two :-)

Christine | 727 comments I started The Institute so far so good but only 30 pages in, lol

message 33: by Rachel (last edited Oct 08, 2019 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "I started The Institute so far so good but only 30 pages in, lol"
I’ll start it tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to chatting about it. :)

message 34: by Rachel (last edited Oct 13, 2019 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel | 2831 comments Finished the audiobook As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride As You Wish Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes for task 2.

Highly recommend it if you’re a fan of the movie.

Christine | 727 comments I am! Thanks for the recommendation

Rachel | 2831 comments How’s everyone liking The Institute by Stephen King ?

Christine | 727 comments I’m still not very far into the book. I’m savoring every word. So far I like a couple of the characters, Tim and Luke.

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "I am! Thanks for the recommendation"

You’re welcome! Hope you like it. :D

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "I’m still not very far into the book. I’m savoring every word. So far I like a couple of the characters, Tim and Luke."

I’m a couple hundred pages in and enjoying it. Looking forward to finding out what happens next. I also like Tim & Luke and a few other characters at the institute.

message 40: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments I am around the 130 mark for pages and am also enjoying it also.

Rachel | 2831 comments Finished the Institute The Institute by Stephen King - 4 stars

Looking forward to chatting about it! :D

Rachel | 2831 comments Hey everyone! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.
Can’t believe it’s almost Thanksgiving.

What’s everyone think of The Institute by Stephen King ?

Hope all is well. :)

message 43: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments I listened to I’ll Be Home In The Dark, which works for the neighborhood task. Several rapes and murders were within a neighborhood. I’m now shuddering.

I just started The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Hopefully I can finish that and The Institute by King before the end of the month. Nothing like last minute.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rachel | 2831 comments Danell wrote: "I listened to I’ll Be Home In The Dark, which works for the neighborhood task. Several rapes and murders were within a neighborhood. I’m now shuddering.

I just started The Zombie Survival Guide by..."

Thanks for the update, Danell! I’ve heard that audiobook is terrifying-one of the many books I need to get to one of these days.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

message 45: by Rachel (last edited Nov 18, 2019 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel | 2831 comments Finished The Year We Fell From Space by A.S. King

for task#7.
Middle grade books-Amy Sarig King
YA books- A.S. King

Christine | 727 comments Hi Everyone! Just checking in and saying Happy Thanksgiving. I've had some issues with my vision so reading has been a challenge. Its improving so hopefully it was one of those weird little blips that happen as we age (fingers crossed).

I think I can finish The Institute by the end of the month. Its definitely unsettling.

Hugs to all!

Rachel | 2831 comments Christine wrote: "Hi Everyone! Just checking in and saying Happy Thanksgiving. I've had some issues with my vision so reading has been a challenge. Its improving so hopefully it was one of those weird little blips t..."

Glad you’re feeling better, Christine. Hugs!

I'm still reading The Institute, but I've got to return it the library so will have to finish in December :-)

Rachel | 2831 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm still reading The Institute, but I've got to return it the library so will have to finish in December :-)"

Thanks for the update, Dustin! :D

message 50: by Danell (new) - added it

Danell (danellbookworm) | 465 comments I read a book that works for #5. Zombies: A-Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It was different.

« previous 1