Start by marking “The Year We Fell From Space” as Want to Read:
The Year We Fell From Space

The Year We Fell From Space

The deeply affecting next book from acclaimed author Amy Sarig King.

Liberty Johansen is going to change the way we look at the night sky. Most people see the old constellations, the things they've been told to see. But Liberty sees new patterns, pictures, and possibilities. She's an exception.

Some other exceptions:

Her dad, who gave her the stars. Who moved out months ago
Published October 15th 2019 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Year We Fell From Space, please sign up.
Elizabeth Mellen No, not for the main character. She does allude to adult activities, but with no more graphic detail than something like "I do know what adults do in …moreNo, not for the main character. She does allude to adult activities, but with no more graphic detail than something like "I do know what adults do in beds other than sleeping" So nothing that would concern me with a younger middle grade reader. (less)

Start your review of The Year We Fell From Space
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Might be more of a 3 or a 3.5 for me personally but it was still a very strong book!
Sue
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-saga
So yep, I’ve just read a Middle Grade book that was so good I’d recommend to adults. A lot can be learnt from this story.

A family that breaks up.

The constellation in the sky seems on track, planned and focused.

But when the parents split, a rock falls to earth. A heavy burden for the kids in that relationship to handle.

Dad has his mental health problem that afflicts him. But did they really break up because of that?

This is a well written well thought out story that I flew through within two even
sarah xoxo
review to come!
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Year We Fell From Space is a well-written, moving middle grade novel about divorce and mental health. Specifically, this is the story of children stuck in the middle of their parents' divorce and how they are affecting by this separation.

Liberty's character is realistic and genuine yet quite infuriating, at times. But it's understandable as she is experiencing a bad thing, which is the divorce of her parents.

She's acting irrational as a way to cope and process all of these things and it's
Garance J. Bonadonna (The Nerdy Artivist)
description

I'm not sure where to start...
This book is absolutely wonderful, and I can't wait for it to come out so I can share it with you guys.

This is the story of Liberty, 12, stars mapmaker. This is the story of her parents divorcing and how it felt like falling from space. This is the story of a meteor. This is the story of how mental health should be seen vs how stigma tarnishes it. This is the story of life.

This is the second book I read by A.S. King and it certainly won't be the last.
It is so utterl
Brandy
I read this in one sitting.

And then I read it again.

Liberty is 12 years old and reeling from her parents' separation. She's outside working on a star map (on which she creates her own constellations, which help her to focus her mind and process things) when a meteorite comes from the sky. Liberty wants her parents to reconcile, and bargains with the night sky, with the meteorite, to make it happen. It doesn't. She can't find the constellations in the maps from the week her dad moved out. She kno
Shaye Miller
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is not getting nearly the attention it deserves, in my opinion. It's primarily about how divorce impacts an entire family. But the main character, Liberty, is so clever and her coping mechanisms are fascinating. Everyone in the family is in pain. There are a lot of tears, but I appreciated that there were no flat characters. The relationships are realistic and everyone makes fairly normal mistakes. The word "space" in the title is a metaphor for belonging. And when a child loses their ...more
orangerful
Another solid addition to King's catalog. Full of heart and humor, all the while tackling the very serious subjects of divorce, depression and dealing with emotions.
Sara
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart and pieced it together at the same time
Melanie  Brinkman
When your world falls apart, it may take some time for the stars to realign.

Liberty wanted to change the way people saw the stars. But now her life is falling out of the sky as her parents announce their divorce and her dad moves out. During the next year, can Liberty figure out how to live her new life, or will the stars forever be out of line?

A story of patterns and exceptions. A tale of what happens when one girl's family falls apart.

Trigger warnings for depression, divorce, sexism, and pare
Ms. Yingling
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Liberty's parents are both interested in hiking, camping and out door pursuits; her mother writes about these things, and her father introduced her to astronomy. Liberty likes to draw star maps and create her own, modern constellations. Her father struggles with depression, and when the parents separate and he moves out, he doesn't follow through on visitations, and it's a long time until the girls see him. In the meantime, Liberty finds what she thinks is a meteo
Ema
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't stress how important I think it is to be talking about mental health at a young age. The stats are so high for middle schoolers and elementary schoolers dealing with mental health issues and it's impossibly hard to know what's supposed to be normal at that age. I think King did a great job here of introducing depression and talking about it in an adult way through a story that speaks to kids. She defined it, talked about different types, showed different manifestations, and found various ...more
Kim
Coming October 2019. At 12 years old, Liberty uses her star maps, which she uses to find new constellations. She really needs this coping mechanism since Dad moved out, but for the first time it's failing her. How can she explore, name, react and fix what is happening without it? Such an important book for everyone--but a way in for those who love preteens to start conversations around emotions, where they come from, what they reveal, and what it means to deal with them in various (helpful and u ...more
Jamie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, j-fiction, own
Great middle school novel dealing with divorce and depression.
Sandy

This is an important novel that addresses divorce and depression for children, that speaks their language. Addressing the promises, the hopes, the disappointments, the stresses, the anger, the blame, and just about every emotion that a child feels as their parents separate and divorce, this book confronts them directly. A.S. King delivers another great book.
The arguing the occurs between Liberty’s parents has reached its limit and now, her dad was moving out. He was making promises to Liberty an
Nicole
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really sweet, quick middle grade read which such an important message.

The main reason I picked this book up was because of the depression representation. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it was handled really well.

It was particularly nice to read a book about mental illness in which the main character does not have the illness but lives with someone that does. It really shows the effect mental illness can have on the rest of the family.

I think this book handled the topics of ment
Ives Phillips
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tale following the despair of divorce and how it damages everyone, The Year We Fell From Space does more than explore the manifestation of mental illness in both children and adults, it it paints it in big, red letters on a banner and waves it; it blares it from the speakers loud and clear, until people can't keep sweeping the existence of mental illness under the rug and politely ignore the large bump in the middle of the room.

Every part of this book was a punch to the gut, which is a rare a
cupofnicole
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave
Absolutely incredible. An amazing book about divorce, depression, and acceptance. Highly recommend this for parents to read with their children or for young readers to enjoy on their own. As a 24 year old reader, I highly recommend this to anyone of any age group- it will pick at your emotions, make you think back on times you’ve felt down/times you’ve felt others have let you down and help you out those moments into perspective.
The added metaphor of relating the stars, planets, and space to al
Jan
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest and insightful middle grade novel that shows us a picture of a family torn apart by depression and divorce.
Barbara
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I read this in one sitting and I really loved it. I felt like crying most of the time and my heart went out to Liberty. It's a book full of heart but with some humor, while discussing important topics like divorce and mental illness. Highly recommend!
Clare Snow
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 10-12 whose parents are divorcing
This is amazing. I have more to say momentarily.

In the meantime, here is my review for the Australian YA Bloggers & Readers 2020 Challenge May book - After Dark

1) What book did you pick for this month’s read?
The Year We Fell From Space by Amy Sarig King

2) Did you enjoy it?
Yes! But it made me cry in between laughing.

3) What rating would you give it out of five?
★★★★

4) Was there anything in your book that touched you /resonated with you in some way?
Liberty's love of the stars and her remapping of t
Laura Gardner
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 for The Year We Fell From Space, a strange, but deeply affecting #mglit novel about the pain of divorce and how it impacts the entire family.

@as_king_ knows how to break your heart with words. Liberty's pain and emotions about her parents' divorce (which is introduced on page 1!) is so hard to watch and of course that's what makes it realistic. She talks to the meteorite she's keeping in her room about the possibility of her parents getting back together even as part of her realizes that wi
Laura U
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5🌟

Liberty is a witty little girl. She has a strange way of coping with her parents' divorce. She draws maps of the stars and instead of connecting the old constellations, she connects the dots in some new way, creating different patterns. It's a piece of what her father taught her, which is helpful now that she doesn't see him anymore.
This book deals with divorce, depression, secrets, and bullying. Every one of these subjects is treated in a wonderful way. I can't even begin to describe, you jus
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Sixth grader Liberty dreams of creating constellations, drawing maps of stars whenever she can. Then her parents announce separation. Her dad moves out, languishing in chronic depression. Her younger sister Jill won’t leave the house. Liberty fights and constantly gets in trouble.

THE YEAR WE FELL FROM SPACE tackles divorce, mental illness, bullying and other serious issues that affect middle grade readers. Amy Sarig King AKA as YA writer AS King (which I thought had to be a pen name not
Theresa
I received an ARC of this book at BEA 2019. It was excellent. A.S. King writes the story of 12-year-old Liberty's experience with the separation/divorce of her parents. Liberty's dad has depression, it has effected their family. He moves out and so begins the year they fell from space. Liberty has problems with bully's in school and fears she has depression like her father. Liberty wants to help everyone in her family (her parents and little sister), but she also has to learn to help herself. Li ...more
Heather H.
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had the words to do this book justice. I think it'll be one of those books that will become exceptionally important in the discussion of not only depression, but mental health overall. It addresses depression in a way that isn't shameful or harmful, but rather brings attention to it in a way that makes it easier to understand. Amy King's writing is beautiful, and I'm certain this one is going to stick with me for a long while. Though it's categorized as a middle grade novel, The Year We ...more
Natasha
Mar 08, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
I wasn't really into this book at all. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. I was just really bored by it. I don't want my review to sway people into not reading as it has raving reviews. I just think it wasn't for me. I also don't want to rate because it wasn't a novel for me. I feel like if I rated it, it would be unfair. I'm just saying not a book for me, won't be rereading in the future, not sure I really want to read from this author again.
Tracey
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heart-tugging book about divorce and mental illness and lies and friendship. Anyone who deals with kids should read this to get a look at how depression can affect young people. And the author's note has possibly life-saving information about where children, teens, parents, and teachers can go to get help.
Nadia King
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Year We Fell From Space is Amy Sarig King’s second middle-grade novel. The world falls apart when Liberty Johansen’s parents sit her and her sister down to tell them her dad is moving out.

But Liberty’s dad is the person who the budding-astronomer shared her star gazing with, he was her “guiding star”. Everything changes the day Liberty’s dad leaves, it was like Liberty fell from space.

What really struck me about this book was the way King (no relation to me) portrayed Liberty’s internal spee
Betty F
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liberty is such a wonderful girl and this story about your emotions, complicated family dynamics that make you question what you know and knew and just figuring out your thoughts as you experience things is so important. Liberty, and her sister Jilly are dealing with the weirdness of their parents divorcing and how being 12 and 10 does mean they still know what the heck is going on. Appreciate the openness about mental health and how their dad's depression played a large role in the break and al ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• When Stars Are Scattered
A.S. King writes middle grade fiction under the name Amy Sarig King.  ...more

News & Interviews

“The sky puts everything in perspective.” 4 likes
“Polaris always points north. It's one of the only things I can count on. Every night it returns to the sky and does its job. If people were more like Polaris, maybe things wouldn't be so complicated.” 2 likes