Play Book Tag discussion

Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring
This topic is about Revolution for Dummies
September 2019: Cultural > Revolution for Dummies - Bassem Youssef (4 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring - Bassem Youssef

4 1/2 stars

Revolution for Dummies is the memoir of Bassem Youssef. Youssef was an Egyptian heart surgeon who changed careers amidst the revolution of the Arab Spring to a political satirist. What started as a small internet show became the most watched television program in the middle east. Youssef, known as the Egyptian Jon Stewart, modeled his show after his idol's Daily Show. He did not hold back from making fun of those in power and exposing their hypocrisy and abuses through satire. Eventually, those in power decided that they could not tolerate the show and Youssef was forced to flee the country. This book is his memoir of the time from the beginnings of his show until its end.

This book really helped me understand what was going on in Egypt at the time. I do have vague memories of the major names in the news, but never really understood what was truly happening. After reading this book, I feel like have enough understanding to follow along with current events in that part of the world. I also appreciate that whenever I found myself feeling incredulous about what the Egyptian people were able to believe/justify about their leaders, Youssef would give me an example from our own country and our own leaders to help me understand how this could happen anywhere, even here.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5315 comments Thanks, this sounds like it is up my alley. I'm struggling with my Egyptian read.

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Oh, this is tempting. My book, of course, referred to the "Arab Spring" plenty of times, but to be honest, I just don't follow international news or politics enough to even have an idea of what it is about!

message 4: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 08, 2019 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I have this one waiting for me on the table. I'm really looking forward to it. The cover makes me smile. I remember being enthralled by the Arab Spring when it happened - by the very IDEA of it, by the power-of-the-people to effect change, by the potential of social media to do good. Of course, it wasn't that easy, and that's about all I remember.

I still have my Syria book handy, because I learned so much from it. Their demonstrations were inspired by Egypt's. We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria

message 5: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Sounds very interesting Cora!