Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Lesser Dead - Christopher Buehlman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Come join Terry and I as we start this buddy read on the 6th of September. Yeah, that's in 2 days! :D

Of course, use spoilers and all the rules apply. Can't wait to read this one!

message 2: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments Oooh, looks good. Might have to try and squeeze it in!🤪😏

message 3: by Ginger (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:13AM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Vickie wrote: "Oooh, looks good. Might have to try and squeeze it in!🤪😏"

I hope you can Vickie! That’s what we are doing. 🤣😂

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments It's a great story - you'll enjoy it.

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Graeme wrote: "It's a great story - you'll enjoy it."

Yay! Looking forward to finally reading this one Graeme. :D

message 6: by Graeme (last edited Sep 04, 2019 03:25PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments Hi Ginger, if you enjoy this book, and I think you will. I believe you'll love The Suicide Motor Club by Christopher Buehlman
It is set in the same universe.

message 7: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Looking forward to this! I hadn't looked at his other books yet, so thanks Graeme.

message 8: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Graeme wrote: "Hi Ginger, if you enjoy this book, and I think you will. I believe you'll love The Suicide Motor Club by Christopher Buehlman
It is set in the same universe."

Fantastic! I’ll add it to my TBR pile. Thanks Graeme!

message 9: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I read about 45 pages in. Very interesting perspective this has.

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
this one was fun, i hope everyone enjoys it!

message 11: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Latasha wrote: "this one was fun, i hope everyone enjoys it!"

Thanks, Latasha!

message 12: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments Have to agree Terry, definitely...interesting. 😉

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Vickie wrote: "Have to agree Terry, definitely...interesting. 😉"

I sense some premonition here...🤔

message 14: by Ginger (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:11PM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments I’m loving this so far! The first person of Joey is addicting to read.

I got to the start of Part 1, Vampire. I don’t have page numbers with this Kindle version.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments If I remember Margaret properly, she's bad ass.

message 16: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Graeme wrote: "If I remember Margaret properly, she's bad ass."

So far she seems to be!

message 17: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Yes, Margaret is badass so far!

I think I'm about 10 pages behind where you are Ginger.

message 18: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I'm up to 'The Sweetest Girl in New York' in apart two. With all of the football over the weekend, plus seeing the movie It ch2, not much reading time. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Ginger (last edited Sep 08, 2019 07:33PM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Terry wrote: "I'm up to 'The Sweetest Girl in New York' in apart two. With all of the football over the weekend, plus seeing the movie It ch2, not much reading time. [spoilers removed]"

I just finished up that chapter. It was last night so I get you. Not any time to read today due to football! I knew this would happen. 🤣😂

How was IT Chapter 2 by the way? I want to see it!

I agree with you on the (view spoiler)

message 20: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I do have a couple of issues with the movie I would complain about, but overall, good horror movie! Definitely worth seeing. Kept me jumping in my seat for sure.

Hey, good wins for the Seahawks and the Chiefs!

message 21: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Terry wrote: "I do have a couple of issues with the movie I would complain about, but overall, good horror movie! Definitely worth seeing. Kept me jumping in my seat for sure.

Hey, good wins for the Seahawks a..."

Well, that's good to know on the movie.
Yay to getting some wins! I do think that the Hawks didn't look as good as they should against Cincy. Cincy looked better then I thought and Andy Dalton did well against the secondary.
Hoping for the best but keeping expectations in check! LMAO!

message 22: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Good idea! With injuries already piling up after week one, I’m tempering my enthusiasm as well. Its all fun anyway.

Speaking of movies, did you see there is another Stephen King book coming out as a movie in November? It’s Dr. Sleep! And the preview looked good!

message 23: by Ginger (last edited Sep 09, 2019 07:26AM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Terry wrote: "Speaking of movies, did you see there is another Stephen King book coming out as a movie in November? It’s Dr. Sleep! And the preview looked good!"

Yes! I saw that and can't wait to see the sequel to The Shining!
Have you read Doctor Sleep? It's good and I really liked it! I hope they do a good job with the movie.

message 24: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I did read it a few years ago and liked it also. I agree on hoping they do good. The preview was promising.

message 25: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Just got to the start of Part 2 - The Hessian.

I have no idea where the plot of this is going but I'm loving the vampire dynamics and politics!

message 26: by Terry (last edited Sep 11, 2019 09:04AM) (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I just got to the same point, Ginger. I agree, not sure where it’s going yet but I sense (view spoiler)

message 27: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Terry wrote: "I just got to the same point, Ginger. I agree, not sure where it’s going yet but I sense [spoilers removed]"

Exactly! I was not expecting the (view spoiler)

message 28: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments Not as far as you guys. Hope to catch up tomorrow. Definitely a different take on a vampire story, but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 29: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments I haven’t been able to read anything today Vickie so you’ll have plenty of time to catch up!

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Me neither. Won’t make much progress tomorrow either.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 455 comments I read this late last year - it was a good one. I'm looking forward to reading what you all think of it :)

message 32: by Ginger (last edited Sep 12, 2019 11:45AM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Lisa wrote: "I read this late last year - it was a good one. I'm looking forward to reading what you all think of it :)"

I remember when you did read this Lisa! I'm glad I'm finally reading it now. I'm enjoying this!

message 33: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments I am at Down the Rabbit Hole. I have to say, for not being a typical vampire storyline, I am really enjoying the writing style. Joey is a very entertaining narrator. And oh my gosh, (view spoiler)

message 34: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Vickie wrote: "I am at Down the Rabbit Hole. I have to say, for not being a typical vampire storyline, I am really enjoying the writing style. Joey is a very entertaining narrator. And oh my gosh, [spoilers removed]"

Hahaha!!

I just got to Part 3 - The Devil’s Dice.
I loved the whole Studio 54 chapter! I agree Vickie, I’m really enjoying this told in first person with Joey!

message 35: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I just got to The Devil’s Dice chapter also. Still cannot see where this is taking us. (view spoiler)

message 36: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Terry wrote: "I just got to The Devil’s Dice chapter also. Still cannot see where this is taking us. [spoilers removed]"

That's a great idea Terry!! Maybe? Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

message 37: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Just got to Part 4 - A Throne Room in Hell.

Seriously, I'm dreading where things are going in this book. The creep factor with (view spoiler)

I love it! hahaha!!

message 38: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments Just finished and, wow... can't talk about it yet... have to process, and it's 11:00 pm. My brain is fried.🤯🤯🤯

message 39: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Nice Vickie! I just got to part 4 myself. I agree with what you said, Ginger (view spoiler)

message 40: by Ginger (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:31AM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Vickie, I feel the same. Mind blown and I stayed up until 11pm last night finishing this book.

That ending! Wow! (view spoiler)

What a great new take on vampires. I really loved this one! Terry and Vickie, thanks for doing a BR with me on this!

message 41: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments Hi Ginger, yeah it's a great book.

It struck me as **whole book spoiler ahead** (view spoiler)

message 42: by Ginger (last edited Sep 15, 2019 02:58PM) (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments Graeme wrote: "It struck me as **whole book spoiler ahead** [spoilers removed]"

Exactly! I got the exact same thing from this book Graeme.
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments Cvetko has aligned himself with (view spoiler)

message 44: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 684 comments Thanks Ginger for the BR suggestion. I thoroughly enjoyed reading with you and Terry, it's always a good time!🥰

Yes, those kids were very creepy, 'shudder'! And likewise, I'm very interested in reading more by Buehlman. 👍

message 45: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I’m hoping I can finish this tomorrow so I can read all of these posts!

message 46: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments I finished! Quite the little twist in the end. Never read a book where (view spoiler)

I agree, it was a fun BR!! Glad we all decided to give this one a shot.

message 47: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments When I first read that ending it (view spoiler)

message 48: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments Terry wrote: "I finished! Quite the little twist in the end."

Foreshadowing? (view spoiler)

message 49: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4842 comments Graeme wrote: "Terry wrote: "I finished! Quite the little twist in the end."

Foreshadowing? ..."

You’re definitely right. The warning was there, but my reaction seems to be much the same as your first reaction, in a mild sense I guess.

message 50: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3239 comments I never thought of that Graeme!! It was there from the very beginning. Fantastic now that I think of it.

Glad you liked this Terry! (view spoiler)I love books like this because I never saw it coming.

« previous 1