GOOD REVIEWS discussion

Book Review, The Anatomy of Story by John Truby

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 15 comments BOOK REVIEW, The Anatomy of Story by John Truby.
If you can invest in only one book on the craft of writing, The Anatomy of Story would cover all your needs, and then some. Truby’s 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller is probably the single most comprehensive manual on writing you’ll ever find. I’ve read dozens of writing books from James Scott Bell, Robert McKee, Ursula Le Guin to Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Dorothea Brande, Brenda Ueland, John Gardner, and more. Truby clarifies the much touted ‘three-act structure’ and brings you deeply into your hero’s emotional and moral growth. I love how he emphasizes where the story needs to go rather than literary mechanical devices. He lays out practical storytelling advice that shows you how a story is ‘organic’ and the writing process that will allow your storytelling to truly convey emotional knowledge to your readers. You will learn about the ‘dramatic code’ and how the story world is fueled by desire. ‘Story world’ contains the ‘story body’ and ‘story movement’ in a web and weave of constructions. This book is a keeper on your shelf for rereads, reference, and a rich foundation for all creative writing. I’d give it 10 stars if I could.

The Anatomy of Story 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller by John Truby
The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller

message 2: by Gene (new)

Gene Masters | 7 comments I bought this book after reading Paula's review and am just getting into it. So far, it's every bit as good as Paula said it was. I can see already how it would have seriously improved my past literary efforts!