The Sword and Laser discussion

Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
This topic is about Trail of Lightning
Trail of Lightning > TOL: The Beginning (no spoilers please)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1977 comments I was really impressed with the start of this book. It manages to do a lot so succinctly. We get introduced to the world, get a real feel for the protagonist and jump right into the plot in just a few pages. I enjoy a slow burn at times, but this is great! Nicely done!

Nils Krebber | 202 comments Yes, the beginning conveys a lot about Mags, what she does and how the world and herself perceive her. Also a great fight Scene with an interesting Monster.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1977 comments Ha, well, I guess I should have been more specific, as I had read only the first chapter. In just a handful of pages I really felt like I knew who I was and what I was about in the book.

I've read a little further now, and, yes, that fight was great, as were the results. I've read longer books in their entirety and not known the protagonist as well. There is such an immediacy to the writing

message 4: by Trike (last edited Sep 05, 2019 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trike | 8960 comments Yeah, Roanhorse’s short story chops shine through at the start of the book, where she packs a lot of info into a small space.

Her unfamiliarity with longer works causes this to break down at the end, as you’ll see in other threads when you get there. It’s entirely possible she rewrote the beginning a number of times but didn’t lavish that same amount of care on the end, likely due to time constraints.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1977 comments Trike wrote: "Her unfamiliarity with longer works causes this to break down at the end."

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind then I don't ruin it for myself with too high expectations.

I see what you mean about short stories. Now that I think about it, the first three chapters would make a pretty decent short story with very little altering. Do you know if they were written with that intention?

Trike | 8960 comments Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth wrote: "Do you know if they were written with that intention?"

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Seth | 444 comments Trike wrote: "Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth wrote: "Do you know if they were written with that intention?"

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised."

Even if they weren't, I'd imagine that a debut author looking for a publisher needs to have their first few chapters really tight and compelling to get their work to stand out. It would hardly be a surprise to hear that this is the section of a book that gets the most attention.

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4277 comments Yeah, the beginning was really tight. All the way down to (view spoiler)

I was modestly amused at how the later data dumps were introduced.

Book: "She didn't know why she was flashing back..."

Readers: WE DO!

Ruth | 1252 comments Seth wrote: I'd imagine that a debut author looking for a publisher needs to have their first few chapters really tight and compelling to get their work to stand out. It would hardly be a surprise to hear that this is the section of a book that gets the most attention.

Also, when you make your initial submission to an agent, you send only the first three chapters so a lot of writers spend time polishing those up.
In this case, I think the later sections of the book needed a bit more polish - the closing chapters simply aren’t up to the same standard as the beginning.

message 10: by Paul (last edited Sep 12, 2019 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments Those first few chapters are stunning. Just on chapter seven but, if it keeps up the pace and quality, I'll fly through.