What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book about John Paul Jones

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Deforest | 18 comments In the 1960s, I checked a children's book about the American Navy hero John Paul Jones multiple times. I loved that book.

I was in elementary school at the time. This would have been before 1969, when we moved to another state.

The book was illustrated and obvioulsy I found it exciting. It was a mostly prose book with spot illustrations throughout.

I've been trying to identify the book again, but don't remember enough specific details to be able to identify it for sure. There is a book first published in 1953 by Armstrong Sperry titled "John Paul Jones: The Fighting Sailor"--later republished at "John Paul Jones: Pirate Patriot." I've found a copy of this online and it MIGHT be the book I read as a kid, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone think of any other possibilities? It would be a children's biography of Jones published before 1969.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Sep 04, 2019 06:17AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1856 comments John Paul Jones, Fighting Sailor is available on the Internet Archive. You need to be a member to "take out" books, but membership is free; you only need to give them an e-mail address.

Do you remember any more details about the book? I mean, there're probably dozens (if not hundreds) of kid's books about John Paul Jones. Is it mostly about his childhood, for example?

Edit: OK, maybe not. Here are some of the others I've found, though:

John Paul Jones: Saltwater Boy
Noah Carr, Yankee Firebrand: A Boy Sailor with John Paul Jones
The Heroic Life of John Paul Jones: The First Captain of the United States Navy by Elbridge Streeter Brooks