The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > And the Winners Are- Oct 2019 Reading Group Challenge - Mysteries / Thrillers / Spy Stories / 1930 - 1939

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 02:44PM) (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Well here we are, another month upon us. I hope those that celebrate are enjoying their Labour Day weekend and those at risk from the hurricane are staying safe.

I see that discussions have already started for the September group reads. That's nice and encouraging. Glad to see you are taking part in the Group Read discussions.

This thread is for nominations for our October Group read. The subject is mysteries, thrillers and / or spy stories written between 1930 and 1939, inclusive.

So many excellent authors to choose from I think. Just checking my own TBR list, here a few possibilities -
- Margery Allingham
- Dashiell Hammett
- Dorothy L. Sayers
- C.S. Forester
- Agatha Christie
- Georges Simenon
- Francis Iles
- Sax Rohmer
- Georgette Heyer
- Ethel Lina White
- Alexander Wilson
- Ngaio Marsh
- Rex Stout
- John P. Marquand
- Josephine Tey
- Graham Greene
- John Buchan
- E.C. Bentley
- Eric Ambler
- Arthur Upfield.... etc

And I'm sure there are many more. Try not to nominate more than one book per author, unless they have stories featuring more than one character and also don't nominate any books we've discussed within the last couple of years.

Looking forward to your nominations.

Also as always, if you nominate a book, and it is selected for a group read, be prepared to be the moderator of that discussion group.

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2019 11:01AM) (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
I'll track the nominations on this thread -

1. Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout, nominated by Suzy (Nero Wolfe #1, 1934)
2. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie nominated by Susan (Miss Marple #1, 1930)
3. A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh nominated by Chris (Inspector Alleyn #1, 1934)
4. The Pursued by C.S. Forester nominated by Bill (1935)
5. Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (nominated by Carolyn) (1938)
6. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler nominated by Aditya (1939) (Philip Marlowe #1 / 1939)

message 3: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 650 comments I'm excited to nominate Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout the first mystery featuring my two all-time favorites, Nero Wolfe and his eyes-and-ears-on the street side-kick Archie Goodwin.

message 4: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "I'm excited to nominate Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout the first mystery featuring my two all-time favorites, Nero Wolfe and his eyes-and-ears-on the street side-kick Archie Goodwin."

Excellent first choice.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan I second Suzy's nomination. I love Nero Wolfe.

How about Agatha's Christie's Murder at the Vicarage, the first Jane Marple book?

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I second Suzy's nomination. I love Nero Wolfe.

How about Agatha's Christie's Murder at the Vicarage, the first Jane Marple book?"

It's an Agatha Christie we've never done as a Group read before, Susan. Great choice.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris | 237 comments I'll nominate Ngaio Marsh's A Man Lay Dead. He's an author that has been on my list to try.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8595 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "I'll nominate Ngaio Marsh's A Man Lay Dead. He's an author that has been on my list to try."

He's actually a she. The book is good, though!!

:)

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris | 237 comments Nancy, it just goes to show some undiscovered bias I might have AND that I had never read anything by HER! LOL.

message 10: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Nancy, it just goes to show some undiscovered bias I might have AND that I had never read anything by HER! LOL."

One of the grand-dames of the Golden age, along with Agatha, Margery and Josephine.. :)

message 11: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Can't you imagine going to tea with Agatha, Margery, Josephine and Ngaio? Wouldn't that have been fun?

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I always thought putting your head in an oven would be a tough way to go. This looks interesting.

message 14: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Oh dear, I'm conflicted here! I think it this would be a great opportunity to read and compare books by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. But I've read both of the books suggested so personally would rather the group voted for something else!
I ve got Fer-de-Lance on my to read list but don't have a copy and nor does my library so I will have to break my rule (again!) and buy a copy if that wins.
So ( because I can get it from the library and haven't read it) I will nominate Brighton Rock - with apologies to Bill for taking so long to get to the point again 😉
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Oh dear, I'm conflicted here! I think it this would be a great opportunity to read and compare books by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. But I've read both of the boo..."

I love Brighton Rock.

message 16: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 970 comments I nominate The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. My last pick was Red Harvest and I had so much fun re-reading it, I thought might as well re-read Chandler too.

message 17: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Can't you imagine going to tea with Agatha, Margery, Josephine and Ngaio? Wouldn't that have been fun?"

I think you're right.

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "Oh dear, I'm conflicted here! I think it this would be a great opportunity to read and compare books by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. But I've read both of the boo..."

I love Brighton Rock as well.

message 19: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Aditya wrote: "I nominate The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. My last pick was Red Harvest and I had so much fun re-reading it, I thought might as well re-read Chandler too."

We did group read this once before but it was over 5 years ago and it'll be good to see fresh comments and views of it if it is chosen. Besides we've so many new members since then.. Good choice, Aditya.

message 20: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod

Also, don't rein in your enthusiasm, Carolyn.. :0)

message 21: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I'm intrigued - that book is on a list of the 'most vile women in literature'!

( and thank you for being so patient with my ramblings 😉)

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I'm intrigued - that book is on a list ..."

As a matter of fact, Carolyn, I was so intrigued by your comment about it being on the list of "most vile women...." that I had to pick up a copy. By the way, is Becky Sharp on that list? :)

message 23: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I'm intrigued - that book is on a list ..."

That is interesting. Thanks for passing it along.

message 24: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Nancy wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I'm intrigued - that bo..."

Doesn't look like it Nancy https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one that was published in 1935, then lost and rediscovered in 1999; The Pursued by C.S. Forester"

I'm intri..."

LOL. So, there's no Vanity Fair on the list, but there is Disney Villains? Okey dokey.

message 26: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Some excellent nominations so far. I'll leave the nomination thread open until the 10th and then set up the poll.. Thanks for your nominations so far

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan I am excited about the choices for next month.

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie | 19 comments So many good choices this month so far.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (way2buzy) | 5 comments I highly recommend Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine.

message 30: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I highly recommend Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine."

It sounds interesting, Michelle but it doesn't fall under the category for the October Group Read.

message 31: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Sorry for the delay. I lost track of time. The poll is now up and can be found at the top of the Poll page. This link should get you there.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

I've left it open through 16 Sep because of the delay in setting it up. Looking forward to seeing which books are chosen.

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Sheila 29 Seconds

message 33: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Sorry I meant Sone Must Watch. 29 Seconds is coming out soon.

message 34: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sheila wrote: "Sorry I meant Sone Must Watch. 29 Seconds is coming out soon."

Rats. I should have thought about nominating Some Must Watch. Its movie equivalent is The Spiral Staircase.

message 35: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Sorry I meant Sone Must Watch. 29 Seconds is coming out soon."

Rats. I should have thought about nominating Some Must Watch. Its movie equivalent is The Spiral Staircase."

That was one I'd considered, Nancy.

message 36: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
The winners are -

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (nominated by Susan)

we have two tied for second place. So if both nominators (Carolyn and Aditya) are prepared to moderate the threads, I'll set up three group discussions

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (Carolyn)

I'll set up the threads 1 October once Susan, Aditya and Carolyn confirm they will moderate. Thanks for your nominations this month and votes.
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (Carolyn)

message 37: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments I'm happy to moderate Brighton Rock although that will be two months in a row, and the third time this year! Someone stop me from nominating in Novemeber please !

message 38: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "I'm happy to moderate Brighton Rock although that will be two months in a row, and the third time this year! Someone stop me from nominating in Novemeber please !"

Thanks, Carolyn. Obviously you nominate great books. :0)

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan Bill, I am happy to moderate. In fact, I will read the book again as it's probably been 30-40 years since I first read it.

message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "I'm happy to moderate Brighton Rock although that will be two months in a row, and the third time this year! Someone stop me from nominating in Novemeber please !"

I'll remind you, Carolyn!
🚫

message 41: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 970 comments Look forward to The Big Sleep discussion, it's already a group read this month in one of my GR groups, had asome interesting discussion there specially about the movie, hopefully will get some more perspective here

@Carolyn my choice second month running too : )

message 42: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5413 comments Mod
So there you go folks, there will be three books to choose from for the October group reads. Thank you to Aditya, Carolyn and Susan for nominating and moderating. The threads will be set up 1 Oct.