Beyond Reality discussion

Daniel Abraham
This topic is about Daniel Abraham
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Reading the rest of the Long Price Quartet

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
Book 2 is called A Betrayal in Winter.

8/10
Political intrigue dominates this second book in the Long Price Quartet, which takes place 10-15 years after the events in book 1, A Shadow in Summer. Author Daniel Abraham continues to explore the cost of loyalty, of love, of trust, of power, and the toll it takes on the characters as they bear that price.

This book seemed more focused and the continuity seemed smoother, perhaps because I wasn’t distracted by the constant assuming of poses or because I understood more about the poets & andats and the politics of the city-states. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 545 comments Mod
I continued on with the remainder of the series, and I liked each book better than the one before. Each subsequent book deals with the consequences of the previous solution. Andats are like TNT; there are plenty of peacetime applications, but there's nothing to prevent the unscrupulous from exploiting their power. A thought-provoking and interesting series.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Chris wrote: "I continued on with the remainder of the series, and I liked each book better than the one before. Each subsequent book deals with the consequences of the previous solution."

I have 2 left and will comment here as I finish them over the next few weeks. I am interspersing them with other things.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Sep 18, 2019 06:42PM) (new)

I finished the 3rd book in this series, An Autumn War, and was so impressed with it—the characters are complex, the political and military maneuvering are intriguing, and the decisions and their consequences (both small and great) are difficult and heartbreaking. I cannot imagine the final book being better than this one and I’m looking forward to reading it sometime in the next month.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Oct 04, 2019 10:20PM) (new)

Oh, my! I just finished The Price of Spring and it exceeded my already high expectations! Good intentions with unintended or unimagined consequences, and all the prices paid—for old hurts, for words said and unsaid, for betrayals, for misunderstandings and misplaced affection, and for love. Always the price of love.

The characters in this book, and the whole series, were perfectly imperfect. And many of them drove the story and played vital roles, but the heart of it always seemed to come back to Otah and Maati. Love, trust, jealousy, betrayal—all played out between them and in their world.