Start by marking “A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)

A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  5,649 Ratings  ·  263 Reviews
Daniel Abraham delighted fantasy readers with his brilliant, original, and engaging first novel, A Shadow in Summer. Now he has produced an even more powerful sequel, a tragedy as darkly personal and violent as Shakespeare's Macbeth.

As a boy, Otah Machi was exiled from his family, Machi's ruling house. Decades later, he has witnessed and been part of world-changing events
Published August 21st 2007 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Betrayal in Winter, please sign up.
Tim There are some overlapping characters, but the majority of characters and the location are different, and the second book is set 15 years after the…moreThere are some overlapping characters, but the majority of characters and the location are different, and the second book is set 15 years after the first.(less)

Petrik
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Scott Hitchcock
This is, without a doubt, a sequel that surpassed its predecessor.

A Betrayal in Winter is the second book in The Long Price Quartet series by Daniel Abraham; I have to admit, this is a great book and also a wonderful installment for the series.

When I started this book, I was surprised by the huge time-gap in the storyline; it’s not often that I read a series that have its storyline fast forward by fourteen years right from the second book of the series. However, Abraham’s decision to fast forwar
Emma
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4.5 stars . Now THIS is more like it! To me, the first in the series was ok, but the characters didn't draw me in, despite the excellent world building. This one had it all! Betrayal and treachery, backstabbing and plotting, politicking. The world building is a cornerstone of Abraham's work; he gets the details right, right down to the linguistic tics. Excellent read. Skipped through this, as opposed to trudging through the first.
Mayim de Vries
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
”Constant struggle is the price of power.”

A novel definitely worth your time and attention. A Betrayal in Winter turned out to be even more intelligent and interesting book than its predecessor. I must say that it really aggravates me how under-read and under-rated the whole series is (thanks Scott for advertising it!).

Mr Abraham created a truly fascinating world that really sets his novel stars apart from other books in the genre. The caste and gender division, khaien who have to kill in order
Bradley
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a sequel it did improve upon the first, including a fairly complicated plot for a kingdom's succession. Otah and his sister Idaan are easily the two main players here, and love plays the largest role as thememaster, which is rather surprising since neither character shows themselves to be particularly loving in general even if they are in particular.

This is far from a departure from the first novel in the series, carrying through as seamlessly as silk.

The magic again proves rather elusive, ev
Choko
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

This is turning out to be a fantastic series! The writing has actually improved since the first book, while the plot and intricacies have stayed just as rich and intriguing. I am absolutely spellbound by the way body language is described here, always giving that extra layer of expression and understanding, making the players and the reader catch all the nuances intended by the creator.

"... “Never assume you can survive the future because you've survived the past. Everyone thinks t
Rob
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: Another solid entry in this series, though maybe not quite as enjoyable as the first book.

Audio book: Much as the first book, the narration is fine, but not spectacular. Fewer annoying voices than the first book at least.

Full Review
This books starts with a time jump, which I always find tricky. The passage of time can have an important impact on a story. Characters mature, events are put in perspective, plans put into motion. In short: things change.

I'm not always a fan of
Scott  Hitchcock
A lot of people seem to find this series slow but much like book one that wasn't the case for me. DA's characters are so multifaceted, flawed and intriguing, IE real people. Again like book one I thought I had it all figured out and was pleasantly surprised that I was completely wrong.

If you like a series with a strong Eastern influence, strong world and character development, scheming and intrigue this is a series for you. If you want fast paces battle scenes and lightening bolts flying back a
David Sven
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's light on world building. No magic system to speak of. Violence is sparse. But Daniel Abraham's solid story telling and even pacing kept me engaged with the book. It helps that it's not so long as well. There's not a lot of meat, but there's no fluff either.

The story picks up from the first book some 12 years later - I think, it's not explicitly stated unless I missed it. We pick up with two of the main characters from book one ie Otah/Itani and Maati - both failed poets in there own way.

The
Veronica
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I finally finished this last night. I hadn't picked up the book in about a week and I had to make myself power read the last 50% of it. The writing is good so no problems there and it's not a question of pacing for me. I'm just finding that I don't really care about these characters. In the first book I felt for poor Heshai and I really liked Amat and was invested in her story. In this book absolutely everyone could've died and I wouldn't have cared. Otah and Maati from the first book are back b ...more
Eh?Eh!
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babble-added
...and the real show begins.

This book starts about 10 years later. The character who turned out to be the main guy in the first book is now a courier, wavering towards leaving his trade. For a woman, of course. But his past ruins that plan and he ends up having to return to his first home that he hadn't seen since he was a child.

Each of the Summer Cities has a ruler who holds the throne on the blood of his brothers. Each ruler is expected to take many wives and have many babies. The females beco
Althea Ann
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Long Price Quartet #2)

A sequel to ‘A Shadow in Summer,’ set in the same location and a few years after the events of the previous book, but it also works as a contained story.

The Khai of Sarakheyt is ailing. Tradition demands that the next ruler of the city will be the last son of the current Khai left alive – it is the duty of brothers to kill each other to ensure an uncomplicated succession. However, one of the Khai’s sons has never had any interest in ruling. He’s left the city and has been
Kylie
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham is the second book in the Long Price Quartet. It takes place about 14 or 15 years after the events in the first book, a Shadow in Summer. 2 of the perspectives are from characters that appear in the first book: Maati, the almost-poet and Otah Machi. Otah is the youngest son of the Khai Machi, the ruler of a city in the north. Even though Otah hasn't been in the city in years, the bloody battle for succession has begun and he is the primary suspect.

We follo
Chris
4.5 stars.

And I rounded down? Well, it was closer to 4 than 5, but still more than a run of the mill 4. So there we are.

Despite a similar rating, I found this book to be much more enjoyable than the first in the series. Where Abraham was getting his footing in A Shadow in Summer, his voice was firmly established and comfortable here. His unique portrayal of body language had characters using poses to substitute for excessive words (like I wish I could have done with that sentence). In the first
Silvana
Notable improvement from the first book. The plot is tighter, the characters are more intriguing, and court politics is always a fun read.

Highlights:
- The relationship between Chemai the poet and his andat.
- Tunnels beneath the city
- The grumpy librarian

Can't wait to see which characters I will meet in the next book.
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Excellent second volume of the Long Price Quartet. This is above average fantasy series that, like the first book in the series, focuses more on political intrigue than on traditional fantasy elements. In fact, there is only one fantasy element used in the story, that of the andat. However, the magic of the andat and how they are created is amazingly well done and highly original and forms a central part of the story.

Good writing, excellent characters and terrific world-buildi
Steve Feuerborn
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I'm torn by this series. It seems as if Abraham is vaguely aware of the power of some of the ideas in his books. The concept(s) of the Andat have tremendous potential. Unfortunately Abraham doesn't seem able to draw out that potential. Instead the books are filled with largely mundane and uninteresting minutia of the world...

Frankly, I'm interested in the concept of an idea made into a flawed and oblivion-seeking semi-mortals who seek to undermine their keepers. I'm not as interested in the minu
Lema
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lema by: Kylie
Shelves: fantasy
Ok, this series has my full attention now..
It started out pretty similar to the first book A Shadow of Summer, a hefty dose of political intrigue with a dash of succession war and a couple of new interesting characters (not as interesting as Seedless though mind you!). I wasn't very happy to be honest, I was still looking for a decent female character to root for, the supposed mystery was revealed in like chapter 2 and the villain introduced seemed just your run-of-the-mill let's-dominate-the-wo
Scott
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Another wonderful story from this imaginative world. An excellent installment to what feels like will become a favorite series of mine
Campbell
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This was good. This was really good. Continues in the same vein (albeit with a 15-year gap) from where the first book left off: Intrigue. Plots. Machinations and very, very little in the way of what you would consider your traditional fantasy fare (especially action and violence). If you liked the first in the series, you'll like this.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Sequel to A Shadow in Summer, this fantasy novel has an original oriental setting (a pseudo Chinese world) and an emphasis on magic based economics rather than the usual military power struggle. If you prefer royal murders, court conspiracy, political intrigue and Machiavellian characters rather than bearded magi, magic swords and epic battles this series is for you.
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I liked this book much more than the first! It has a very good strong plot, treachery, politics and magic and even a few love stories as well as a totally unexpected end. But above all, it has vivid unforgettable characters that practically leap of the pages, perfectly humanly flawed characters with feelings and emotions so real that you cannot help but feel with them.
If you like slower paced books in which you get to see characters growing wise and learning from their mistakes on the background
Robyn
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Solid second-instalment in the series - better than the first, as I feel that the characters have matured appropriately and the plot is more to my liking. I think what I like best about this series is the world building - it is extremely vivid!
Nelson
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It leaves our characters in very interesting places and I'm really intrigued about where this series is going.

Read this books! they are short and sweet.
Michael
Opening fifteen years after the events of "A Shadow in Summer," the second installment in the Long Price Quartet opens with the death of one of the Khai's sons, a signal that the battle for succession among his sons has begun. In Daniel Abraham's political system, the Khai's sons all fight and kill each other for the right to take over the throne when their father dies (similar to rising in rank in the classic "Star Trek" episode, 'Mirror, Mirror') while the women are either dismissed back to th ...more
Tom
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The sequel to 'A Shadow In Summer'. Which you should absolutely read first. This takes place in the same world and follows some of the same characters. It picks up about twenty years after the first book. This time the action takes place primarily in the city of Machi, a northern city of high towers and underground tunnels.

Author Daniel Abraham does a good job investing the cities of his novels with color. In fact Machi in this novel and Saraykeht in the previous feel as much like characters as
Christopher
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rob
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
...A Betrayal in Winter is not quite as action-packed as the third volume, An Autumn War, nor does it contain the youthful passion of A Shadow in Summer. The main characters have matured, they are more aware of consequences of their actions, but the stakes are not so high yet that their actions influence events beyond the city they are in. Abraham is working towards the climax of his quartet in this book. It is a satisfying read in itself, but I can't shake the impression it still falls a little ...more
Emily
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was more of a 3.5 for me. I liked it, but the plot was too obvious. I also find it disappointingly lacking in magic. I was hoping that the series would end up being about Otah or Maati getting their own andant or finding a way to free all of them - something. Instead, book 2 was more political. I guess I'll stick it out and see how the last 2 books shake out.

EDIT: PS - I miss Seedless - the andant in this book was dull.
Liviu
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was ok

Another so-so fast read in the Long Price Quartet. Still did not connect with me, but intrigued me enough to check out the next book and see where it goes.
Paige (Enchantology)
3.5 stars.
The execution of this was much better than book one!
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • The Other Lands (Acacia, #2)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • The Escapement (Engineer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • Bloodheir (The Godless World, #2)
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Novels of the Malazan Empire #4)
  • The Skein of Lament (Braided Path, #2)
  • Legacy of Kings (The Magister Trilogy, #3)
Daniel James Abraham, pen names M.L.N. Hanover and James S.A. Corey, is an American novelist, comic book writer, screenwriter, and television producer. He is best known as the author of The Long Price Quartet and The Dagger and the Coin fantasy series, and with Ty Franck, as the co-author of The Expanse series of science fiction novels, written under the joint pseudonym James S.A. Corey.
More about Daniel Abraham

Long Price Quartet (4 books)
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Never assume you can survive the future because you've survived the past. Everyone thinks that, and they've all been wrong eventually.” 5 likes
“It doesn’t matter what you’ve done or seen. Every man’s a child until he’s a father. It’s the way the world’s made.” 3 likes