Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Nominations Open - Group Read for October 2019

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in October 2019?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 98 comments I will nominate The Spanish Queen A Novel of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon by Carolly Erickson and The Queen's Fool (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #12) by Philippa Gregory .

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Hartweg | 36 comments I'd like to nominate Amy Robsart A Life and Its End by Christine Hartweg and The Spanish Armada by Robert Hutchinson

message 4: by Claire (last edited Sep 01, 2019 06:56PM) (new)

Claire (clpeucker) I would like to nominate A Song of Sixpence The Story of Elizabeth of York and Perkin Warbeck by Judith Arnopp please.

message 6: by Haley (new)

Haley | 7 comments I'll nominate The Men Who Would Be King by Josephine Ross

message 7: by William (new)

William Whalen | 61 comments Hello,

I will nominate Bosworth 1485 The Battle that Transformed England by Michael K. Jones by Michael K. Jones (no photo). I will also nominate The House of Medici Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert by Christopher Hibbert Christopher Hibbert . This book exams the full history of the Medici Family. This is relevant since, Pope Clement VII who caused so much heartache for poor Henry VIII is a Medici.

message 8: by Dean (last edited Sep 02, 2019 09:57AM) (new)

Dean Hamilton | 16 comments I'm going to selfishly nominate my new historical fiction release Thieves' Castle, if that is permitted!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments I've read The House of Medici and it has nothing to do with the Tudors. So you have another nomination, William.

Dean, I see that is the second in the series. Is it readable as a standalone?

message 10: by William (new)

William Whalen | 61 comments I will make my 2nd nomination Four Princes Henry VIII, Francis I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Obsessions that Forged Modern Europe by John Julius Norwich by John Julius Norwich John Julius Norwich .

message 11: by William (new)

William Whalen | 61 comments Hello Susanna,

I have not read "The House of Medici." Was it any good?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments It's been a while since I read it; I believe I would say it answered my questions, but I wasn't enthralled.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Now would be a good time to make any last minute nominations, as I'll probably be opening the poll later today.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments Alright, I will nominate Liza Picard's Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London, and Murder by Misrule, by Anna Castle.

And with that I close nominations.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The poll is now open. You'll find it at the top of the group's polls page, at the bottom of its Home page, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

message 16: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 40 comments Natalie wrote: "I will nominate The Spanish Queen A Novel of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon by Carolly Erickson and The Queen's Fool (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #12) by Philippa Gregory."

I LOVED "The Queen's Fool!"

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1913 comments The winner was The Turbulent Crown: The Story of the Tudor Queens by Roland Hui, and we'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .