The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Short Stories > "The Macrobe Conservation Project" - Sep2019

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 3966 comments Mod
"The Macrobe Conservation Project" by Carlos Hernandez was published in the August 2019 issue of Lightspeed Magazine. You can find it here:
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fic...

I haven't read it yet, so I hope it's a good one. Lightspeed publishes some wonderful stories, though.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Huh. I just read this & I'm not sure what to make of it. I liked it & it definitely has a creepy quality.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1826 comments Mod
My asiMom was okay. She was like a pillow, a walking talking pillow. But she gave good hugs and smelled right....

I like that word, "asiMom". It seems to allude to Apple "iProducts" as well as Asimov's robots.

I enjoyed the story and may try to read the rest of the book that it is in: The Assimilated Cuban's Guide to Quantum Santeria.

The end of the story left me wondering about many things that are only hinted at, such as the "brain trees".

Lightspeed does often publish good stories for free on the net, and they often provide an audio version of their stories, but not for this one.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Tillman | 508 comments "The Assimilated Cuban's Guide to Quantum Santeria." I tried this one AWB & it didn't work for me, at all. Did I post anything? [looks]
OK, " Skimmed ebook from library. Didn't look like my sort of thing. "
Unrated by me, my usual practice if I'm uncomfortable trashing a new-to-me writer ;-]

message 5: by Jim (new)

The purpose of the asiMom & asibrother were to provide socialization for the narrator & they failed in a way that I found intriguing. I thought that was well done. The lie was also really well done. I liked the way the father is portrayed. There's a lot more than the narrator knows & yet it becomes obvious.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Peter wrote: "... I tried this one AWB ..."

What's an AWB?

message 7: by Jim (new)

AWB = A While Back

message 8: by Peter (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:50AM) (new)

Peter Tillman | 508 comments Just read it. OK but meh; 2.6 stars. Reads like a novel WIP extract? Hernandez has a middle-grade SF novel out now.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Peter wrote: "Just read it. OK but meh; 2.6 stars. Reads like a novel WIP extract? Hernandez has a middle-grade SF novel out now."

What's a WIP extract?

I'd give it a better grade than that, but I thought the end could have used a bit more kick than a question. He did a marvelous job of developing the kid & then kind of let it trickle away.

message 10: by Ed (new)

WIP = work in progress

message 11: by Jim (new)

Ed wrote: "WIP = work in progress"

It's a good thing we can translate for each other.
;)

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Tillman | 508 comments Hee hee. A lot of this stuff is from USENET days, & before fill-out macros became common on the primitive computers of the day. My God, our first Mac came with (ims) 20 MB of RAM, and a HUGE 1 MB hard drive!

message 13: by Jim (new)

I can only keep a dozen or two computer chat acronyms in my head since the rest of the limited space is taken up by working computer ones. There are far too many & they've changed over time. In the time of your first MAC, the boards used to use < g > (without spaces) for grin, but I haven't seen that in ages. Smiley took over.

message 14: by Ed (new)

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what Cheryl means when she says "Ty".

Anyway, funny in this story that the robots don't have butt cracks. What a strange little detail.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Tillman | 508 comments Ed: "funny in this story that the robots don't have butt cracks. What a strange little detail."

Heh. A nice touch.
It does seem odd that they didn't call Dad in the climactic (view spoiler) Since Asimom did call in a similar incident, earlier.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) " if Malloy or Grisget or any of those other pieces of skrat thought they were going to hone in on his dream, they had another thing coming"

think not thing
parallel to what the skrat *thought* you see

Gad I hate being shoved out of a story by poor editing.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok, that's at the beginning. The rest of the story is great.
Leaves me speechless.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Very much Asimovian, so yeah asi must be for the classic author.
Will def. look for more by Hernandez.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Peter, it seems to take a bit of time for Dad to respond to the call and we just didn't watch that long this time; I think the ending was open-ended about that detail.

I wonder where "here" is. That poor kid; they're probably blaming him just because Dad lied to his sons.