YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
This topic is about Into the Drowning Deep
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep #1) by Mira Grant - Restarting May 5th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Seven years ago, the Atargatis set off on a voyage to the Mariana Trench to film a “mockumentary” bringing to life ancient sea creatures of legend. It was lost at sea with all hands. Some have called it a hoax; others have called it a maritime tragedy.

Now, a new crew has been assembled. But this time they’re not out to entertain. Some seek to validate their life’s work. Some seek the greatest hunt of all. Some seek the truth. But for the ambitious young scientist Victoria Stewart this is a voyage to uncover the fate of the sister she lost.

Whatever the truth may be, it will only be found below the waves. But the secrets of the deep come with a price.

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments 22% (view spoiler)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments Same, I could never go! I'm listening to this on audio and got to I think 28%. I'm enjoying the way the story is told and already liking it loads more than her Wayward Children series, but not a lot has happened yet. The narrator is great, but it is quite easy to get confused with all of the perspective shifts on audio.

(view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments 46% (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Farren wrote: "Same, I could never go! I'm listening to this on audio and got to I think 28%. I'm enjoying the way the story is told and already liking it loads more than her Wayward Children series, but not a lo..."

Yeah the first quarter was definitely more filler and introduction. But damn if the story didn’t pick up immediately once they are on the water.
Ugh I have to put this down to finish something else and I keep telling myself one more chapter lol. So worried, scared but also so damn curious..... (view spoiler)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments I had to pause this one for another book and totally agree, it was almost painful to do so (especially since I'm not even enjoying the other book!)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Well in that case know you’re not alone lol I honestly was not expecting to get into this one so much. Now that the action has started I’m all in....

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments 67% (view spoiler)
73%(view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments 89% (view spoiler)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments 47%

(view spoiler)

message 11: by ❀ Crystal ✿ - (last edited Sep 24, 2019 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Finished(view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Farren wrote: "47%

It is a lot of people to keep up with, especially on audio. As soon as Heather said she was going in the water I'm thinking noooo don't do it! because I found her character the most interesti..."

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 45793 comments Mod
I have just changed the title as the BR is still ongoing :)

message 14: by Farren (last edited Sep 25, 2019 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments 74%

(view spoiler)

I should be finishing up the audiobook tomorrow, and I'm excited to see which characters (if any) survive and make it home. And if they have been making sure all of their evidence is backed up this time!

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Farren wrote: "74%

These people keep going out on the deck knowing that those things can easily climb up the ship, like don't you have any sense of self-preservation?!
I did really enjoy the autopsy scene, I w..."

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Farren (last edited Sep 26, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "89% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Finished[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

I have her book Feed checked out from the library right now too, which I'm pretty excited for since I definitely prefer her horror titles over her general fantasy. And I like how she does them all almost documentary style.

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Farren wrote: "❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "89% [spoilers removed]"

I don't know how I missed your reply Farren, sorry about that...

(view spoiler)

Feel free to let me know how you enjoy the prequel and Feed. I have that on my TBR and now that I know this author wrote it I really do want to read it eventually.

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments Seanan McGuire tends to continue series after they were supposed to end so maybe one day she will get around to writing a sequel. I started Feed on audio and it was pretty fun but nowhere near as interesting and gripping as this one. I had to put it on pause because I had other library books expiring soon though.

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 7423 comments Well that stinks, that you’re not liking it that much. Maybe this was her masterpiece and everything else won’t measure up.

message 20: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Starting now!

message 21: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather | 10189 comments So will I Aly!

message 22: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Zone 1 (view spoiler)

message 23: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Okay really? Ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 24: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Zone 2 (view spoiler)

message 25: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Zone 3 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments ch 19 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Zone 4 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Zone 5 (view spoiler)

message 29: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9101 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 24th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Part 1
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Part 2
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments End of Part 4
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2075 comments Claire wrote: "End of Part 1
This is a really nice change of pace from the usual scifi I read which is either focused on space/futuristic tech or ideas like paradoxes/time travel/multiverse theory etc.

I'm a lit..."

Part one
(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2075 comments Claire wrote: "End of Part 2
(view spoiler)

Part 2
(view spoiler)

Did you read the prequel novella before this? I own it but did not yet but apparently it's the story of the original crew that went out and was killed.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2075 comments Claire wrote: "End of Part 4
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2075 comments finished!
(view spoiler)

Claire Chibi | 1833 comments HeatherH wrote: "finished!
[spoiler removed]."

(view spoiler)

I have not read the original novella but I would like to, I enjoyed this book overall and want to see where it all started :D

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2075 comments @Claire
So I kinda listened to the novella real quick tonight haha! It was only a couple hours long and I owned it so figured why not.. In case you get to it soon:
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10001 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting May 5th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 42: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay (that_thing) hey, so the plan for this buddy read to is read two "zones" every two weeks (except this week since we're already half way through) and we'll discuss them on Saturday. so here's the gameplan:
Zone 1: 9th
Zone 2 + 3: 16th
Zone 4+ 5: 23rd
Zone 6: 30th (which is also the live show on paperbackdreams youtube channel where they'll be discussing the book, if you wanna watch that too!)
can't wait to hear ya'll thoughts

Karen Barber | 10001 comments Sorry to be a bit late starting this one. How are you finding it so far?

Karen Barber | 10001 comments Have got a bit behind, but am chipping away with this. Opening immediately got me curious - but it seems like a read to really have to focus on.

message 45: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay (that_thing) totally, I found the opening super intriguing, got me hooked (ha fish puns, mermaids...) right away.

(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Zone 1
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Jen wrote: "totally, I found the opening super intriguing, got me hooked (ha fish puns, mermaids...) right away.

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah! (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10001 comments Up to p93 - zone 1. Fairly quickly establishes what I assume will be our key players and their motivation for being part of this experience. Intriguing start, though it’s rather slow in terms of plot.

Karen Barber | 10001 comments Zone two focuses on the water/initial stages of the journey. Horrible sense of inevitability to this, and by the end I’m admitting to worrying about what is going to happen when the sun goes down!

Karen Barber | 10001 comments Zone three...talk about cranking up the pace! I don’t think I could make myself pause here - it’s a lot more engaging than I thought it would be. The events/discussion forces us to confront some rather unpalatable truths about mankind.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Feed (other topics)