Reading the Detectives discussion

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19)
This topic is about Appointment with Death
Poirot Buddy Reads > Poirot Buddy read 21: Appointment with death

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica | 351 comments It's September and we have a new book ahead of us!

First published in 1938, it is another one of her books set in the Middle East, so I'm looking forward to it!

Roman Clodia | 722 comments I've just started this and feel it's very dark in comparison with some Christies - she's created a monster in Mrs Boynton.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2316 comments Roman Clodia wrote: "I've just started this and feel it's very dark in comparison with some Christies - she's created a monster in Mrs Boynton."

She really has - the first chapters gave me an almost Gothic vibe! I’m not really interested in the psychology of the criminal, usually, but here I enjoyed the discussions between the doctors, and later, Poirot’s insights.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2316 comments I’m almost done, alternating between reading my copy Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19) by Agatha Christie and listening to the audiobook while I knit (trying to finish a project), and this book was perfect, as always! As a reread, I have seen the David Suchet program at least once and can picture the gorgeous, exotic settings, and I love Captain Hastings as my narrator!

I’m almost to the end - I mean to slow down but Christie draws me in so thoroughly, even on a reread, and I’ve had to rip out a few stitches and redo them, I’m so enjoying this book! But I honestly can’t remember who the murderer was...

Jessica | 351 comments Susan in NC wrote: "But I honestly can’t remember who the murderer was.."

Glad you're enjoying it so much Susan! I also always seem to forget who the murderer was or get so thrown off track again that I get very unsure of the memory.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2316 comments So true! I finished this afternoon and was astonished at the ending- did not see that coming! So much fun! I love these Poirot rereads, always enjoyable and satisfying reads for this die-hard Christie fan.

Tania | 371 comments I enjoyed this one too. I felt Mrs Boynton was almost a cartoon villain, which I agree gave it a darker vibe.

Tara  | 740 comments I agree this was an entertaining read, and an interesting family that we really get to know as the story develops. I did have some serious issues with the deeper themes of the book, but off to the spoiler thread I go for more on that!

Tara  | 740 comments I was listening to the audiobook version narrated by Hugh Fraser, and noted several anti-Zionist rants by the dragoman, which I did not recall from my book reading. I went back and checked, and confirmed those references were not in my edition. My paperback was first published in 1978, so some time in the intervening 40 years, those bits were edited out. It makes you wonder how the text you're reading differs from one edition to another (especially between the US and UK versions).

Jessica | 351 comments That's interesting Tania!

I just started the audiobook with Hugh Fraser and it starts off with a bang allright! "You see don't you that she got to be killed!" oh my...

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Huang (christopher_huang) | 49 comments I started reading Anthony Trollope's Barchester series because of that opening!

Tracey | 236 comments Mrs Boynton is such a beast! The poor family having to put up with her.

Tara - interesting about the edited bits. My edition (1990) refers to 'anti-Zionist lamentation of the dragoman' during the car journey to Petra. But the emphasis is on Lady Westholme's endless opinions sullying the journey.

Tania | 371 comments Jessica wrote: "That's interesting Tania!

I just started the audiobook with Hugh Fraser and it starts off with a bang allright! "You see don't you that she got to be killed!" oh my..."

I listened to that version too. I do like his narration. I struggle sometimes with audio, and my mind starts to wander, Christie I find easier though.

Bicky | 332 comments I reread this several years ago and have already forgotten the murderer. After all, who would not want to kill Mrs. Boynton? She might be a cartoonish villain, but who can ever forget her? A great hatchet job by Christie and I cannot help but feel that this was based on a personal encounter.

A very enjoyable Christie.