The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Spreadsheet

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Hey,
For those of you who make a spreadsheet for the tasks in order to keep them organized, I was wondering if any of your might make it available to me that I might use??? If not, that is fine! Thanks!!!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hutchinson (solargalaxy6) Here's a link to my spreadsheet, as saved on Googledocs. I do have two tabs - one showing the listing of the tasks (and the books I'm thinking of reading for each), and one tab that shows the books, including ones I haven't assigned to a test yet. I'm still working on my plan, so don't mind the blanks!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?ke...

Hope that helps!
Michelle

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Solargalaxy_6 wrote: "Here's a link to my spreadsheet, as saved on Googledocs. I do have two tabs - one showing the listing of the tasks (and the books I'm thinking of reading for each), and one tab that shows the book..."

oooh I so borrowing this, thanks for sharing

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera Thanks, Solar. I'm using your spreadsheet as my template as well.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 52 comments Kathryn wrote: "Hey,
For those of you who make a spreadsheet for the tasks in order to keep them organized, I was wondering if any of your might make it available to me that I might use??? If not, that is fine! T..."

Hi Kathryn - I tried to post my spreadsheet, but Goodreads accepts Excel's commands funk-ily. What I did was set up three columns: 1. Name of book and author 2. # of pages (left blank if I'm reading the audiobook) and 3. Date Posted to Goodreads. What's nice about Excel is that I can tally up my total pages read if my A-type personality decides to rear its ugly head.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I do similar to Amy in Excel - except I have a few more columns ... I have the task (shortened version of it), book and author, points, date read, rating out 5 and number of pages ... and this time I've added in a column for whether I own the book already, will do a swap for it, mooch it, borrow it from the library or buy it! I'll just use either an O, S, M, L or B (I'm not sure why really lol) ... so I get Excel to add up my points and number of pages for me.

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I've got one. It's... a bit complicated... I've been tweaking it since last Christmas-ish. But I really like it because it's condensed enough to print out and take to the library with you... ;) If you'd like a copy, I'm willing to share, though—just PM me.

There are other things I want to do with it (like have it automatically change the formatting when you check off a task), but I would need to re-learn how to use Visual Basic in Excel... and that's a bit much...

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke...

Feel free to copy mine. I loved using the spreadsheet from the Summer Challenge. This time around, I altered it slightly.

message 9: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Kathryn wrote: "Hey,
For those of you who make a spreadsheet for the tasks in order to keep them organized, I was wondering if any of your might make it available to me that I might use??? If not, that is fine! T..."

Hey Katheryn, I'm happy to send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet if you like. Contact me with your email info and I'll get it to you.

I have multiple columns, color-coding (multiple book tasks are color coded with the same shading, etc) and auto totals for pages read, books read, and point totals for completed tasks. It might be a bit confusing, but I find the colors help me identify stuff quickly.

I know, I'm a bit of a wonk, but I'm a business analyst. What can I say?

I'm happy to share if you'd like it.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Krista wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Hey,
For those of you who make a spreadsheet for the tasks in order to keep them organized, I was wondering if any of your might make it available to me that I might use??? If not,..."

What is a wonk? That's the second time someone in this group has used that word (the other time may have been you, too). Is that a regionalism?

message 11: by Donna Jo (last edited Sep 01, 2009 11:00AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sara wrote: "I've got one. It's... a bit complicated... I've been tweaking it since last Christmas-ish. But I really like it because it's condensed enough to print out and take to the library with you... ;) ..."

I've color coded mine--I make the shade darker as the book comes in from the library and then darker again when I finish the book. Because I am so absent-minded I also have a column to put the date that I posted the task to Cynthia.
It adds my pages and my points and calculates how many points I have left to earn (just because I can).

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 52 comments SuzieR wrote: "I do similar to Amy in Excel - except I have a few more columns ... I have the task (shortened version of it), book and author, points, date read, rating out 5 and number of pages ... and this time..."

I never thought to have it tally my points - off to amend my spreadsheet. Thanks, Suzie !!

message 13: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Hi there.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet I made using Google Docs: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?ke...

If it works for you, please feel free to use it. I have to go in and code which books are library, owned, mooched or bought, although I am trying to use what I have or the library.

Jennifer

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Tanja wrote: "http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke...

Feel free to copy mine. I loved using the spreadsheet from the Summer Challenge. This time around, I altered it slightly."

I really like your spreadsheet, but I can't figure out how to copy it.

message 15: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Sara wrote: "I've got one. It's... a bit complicated... I've been tweaking it since last Christmas-ish. But I really like it because it's condensed enough to print out and take to the library with you... ;) If you'd like a copy, I'm willing to share, though—just PM me.

There are other things I want to do with it (like have it automatically change the formatting when you check off a task), but I would need to re-learn how to use Visual Basic in Excel... and that's a bit much..."

Okay, it's official. I'm the hugest nerd in the universe. Apparently VB in Excel is NOT too much for me to spend 2.5 hours doing for my spreadsheet.

So, my spreadsheet now has really crazy features... It detects (either by check mark or by inputting the number of pages read) which tasks have been completed and changes partially completed tasks to pink and fully completed tasks to purple. It's pretty sweet...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Cait wrote: "Tanja wrote: "http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke...

Feel free to copy mine. I loved using the spreadsheet from the Summer Challenge. This time around, I altere..."

If you go to file, then click on export, then click on .xls you will be able to open the document, edit it and save it. :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Sara - I sent you a PM with my e-mail. I would love a copy if you are willing to share.

message 18: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I also have a spreadsheet that anyone is welcome to. PM me if you would like a copy. I was going to post it as a google doc but it doesn't save my formatting.

message 19: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Lyn wrote: "Sara - I sent you a PM with my e-mail. I would love a copy if you are willing to share. "

I just sent it. Apparently goodreads doesn't e-mail me when I get a message! How rude!

message 20: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Sara, your spreadsheet sounds totally sweet...I don't think you are the biggest nerd in the universe at all! Just thorough! LOL! Does the fact that I am excited about the description of your spreadsheet make me a nerd too? Actually, I accepted my geekiness a long time ago. Being a nerd rocks! :P

message 21: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sara, your spreadsheet sounds totally sweet...I don't think you are the biggest nerd in the universe at all! Just thorough! LOL! Does the fact that I am excited about the description of your spreadsheet make me a nerd too? Actually, I accepted my geekiness a long time ago. Being a nerd rocks! :P "

Yes, it probably makes you a nerd, too... ;) I had LOTS of fun making it...

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Cait => I'll make a copied version that'll let anyone be an editor. This way it can be copied-pasted into any spreadsheet!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke...

OR

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?ke...

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Yeah Rachel - that's the one downside to Google Docs, it doesn't have the same formatting as an excel spreadsheet. But I make due. This way I can update no matter what PC I am on ^.^

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Wow, you guys are all so talented!!! Thank you all so much! I like using excel, but the template I made for the Spring Challenge took me forever to make and put together!

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Ooo...Your spreadsheets make my mine look like a sad, gray, Soviet era spreadsheet. I'm off to add columns and color code things, er...I mean, read my challenge books like I am supposed to be doing. Why do I love spreadsheets so much?

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Spreadsheets are a wonderful thing for those of us who love order! I taught a girl how to use excel last night and it was so exciting! I think I might have confused her more, but I just got so excited about everything that excel can do!

message 27: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Spreadsheets are also for disorganized people like me who can't add or subtract. It's so nice to type in my numbers and tell it what to do--no adding the same column three times and getting three different answers. And then changing one of the numbers so I have to re-add. Yay, spreadsheets.

message 28: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2009 05:03PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Katie wrote: "Krista wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Hey,
What is a wonk? That's the second time someone in this group has used that word (the other time may have been you, too). Is that a regionalism?
..."

From Webster's Dictionary -
Wonk: a person preoccupied with arcane details or procedures in a specialized field; broadly : nerd

I'm a political 'wonk' so the word has found it's way into my vocabulary.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Krista wrote: "Katie wrote: "Krista wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Hey,
..."

What a great word! That's so funny that the dictionary actually says "broadly: nerd." :)

message 30: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2009 05:10PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Katie wrote: What is a wonk? That's the second time someone in this group has used that word (the other time may have been you, too). Is that a regionalism?
..."

What a great word! That's so funny that the dictionary actually says "broadly: nerd." :)
..."

Yes, I have used it somewhere else on this site recently. (So nice to know you read my posts so closely.) :-) And YES, I do fit the broad sense of the word 'nerd' too. But I wear that label much more proudly now than I did a seventeen.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Krista wrote: "Katie wrote: What is a wonk? That's the second time someone in this group has used that word (the other time may have been you, too). Is that a regionalism?
..."

What a great word! That's so f..."

Esh, yeah. I read everyone's posts closely. I'm stalking this board a little too much. I need to go read...

message 32: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Katie wrote: "Krista wrote: "Katie wrote: What is a wonk? That's the second time someone in this group has used that word (the other time may have been you, too). Is that a regionalism?
..."

What a great word!

Esh, yeah. I read everyone's posts closely. I'm stalking this board a little too much. I need to go read..."

LOL! I told myself to 'Go Read' ... about an hour ago. I just can't seem to pull myself away from these boards.

message 33: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Krista, you can go read your book now. I will watch the boards for you.

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Donna Jo wrote: "Krista, you can go read your book now. I will watch the boards for you."

Okay, whew that's a relief!

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Krista wrote: "From Webster's Dictionary -
Wonk: a person preoccupied with arcane details or procedures in a specialized field; broadly : nerd

I'm a political 'wonk' so the word has found it's way into my vocabulary. "

That's a cool word! I use the word "wonky"... which is a great alternate to "askew" or "lop-sided" (although I use it for more applications than that... ;)

message 36: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Tanja wrote: "Cait => I'll make a copied version that'll let anyone be an editor. This way it can be copied-pasted into any spreadsheet!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke......"

Thank you so much!

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments NP Cait!

And yeah if I didn't have a spreadsheet, I may lose my place or flip-flop my numbers. Happens if I'm rushing around. Hee!

message 38: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) Kathryn wrote: "Hey,

This is wonderful! Thank you! :)