The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GROUP READS > The Shadow Of The Wind Discussion

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Aug 30, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments If you choose to read The Shadow of the Wind for the Group Reads task (or another task for that matter) please feel free to discuss it here.

message 2: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Does anyone know a task that this would fit into (aside from the Group Reads task?) I'm trying to work all 3 of these into my plan and I've found spots for the other two. Just need a home for this one now! It sounds REALLY good though!!

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Candace wrote: "Does anyone know a task that this would fit into (aside from the Group Reads task?) I'm trying to work all 3 of these into my plan and I've found spots for the other two. Just need a home for this..."

It looks like it was written originally in Spanish so it might fit as one of the books under 15.5.

message 4: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I am using it with the preposition task using the word OF.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Donna Jo is correct, it is a translation from Spanish, and I am using it for task 15.5.

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Hmm... I might have to do some shifting... thanks!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  | 117 comments If you want to use it for the translation task, his other one, The Angel's Game, is also great.

message 8: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments It also has two things in the title "Shadow" and "wind", but I would think that the translation would be one of the harder slots to fill...plus you can add Angel's Game.

message 9: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Yeah, I think I may switch what I've got for my translation task so that I can use this instead. Thanks everybody!! :D

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera A great reason to tap into Angel's Game - thanks for the information!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 52 comments Well...if Cynthia didn't choose to sleep, eat and feed her dogs, we would know the additional twenty point tasks by now... I mean, really, Cyn - it's 8:58 a.m. Eastern Standard Time already ;)

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Amy wrote: "Well...if Cynthia didn't choose to sleep, eat and feed her dogs, we would know the additional twenty point tasks by now... I mean, really, Cyn - it's 8:58 a.m. Eastern Standard Time already ;)"Lol...I'm still waiting to get them from the winner's I'll post as soon as I do.

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Should The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game be read in a certain order?

I own Shadow of the Wind, but just got The Angel's Game in audio book format from the library.

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera I don't think so, Krista. I believe that they are two separate and distinct books.

message 15: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sera wrote: "I don't think so, Krista. I believe that they are two separate and distinct books."

Okay thanks -- I thought I'd read somehwere on one of the threads recently that The Angel's Game was a prequel.

Goodness knows, I've been reading WAY too many of the posts for this challenge recently. If I'd spent as much time reading BOOKS as I've spent reading posts, I'd have about 6 books done now. -sheepish grin-

message 16: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments I just bought Shadow of the Wind today! I can't wait to read and discuss with everyone ;-)

message 17: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I just started reading this last night. I'm only about 40 pages it, but I'm really liking it so far!!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim  | 0 comments I will be interested to see what everyone thinks of the book. I just finished it 10 minutes ago. It's not typically the type of book I usually read, so I was afraid it would drag, but I totally got into the story.

message 19: by Alyona (new)

Alyona | 8 comments I'm still reading it - about a half left. It sure is written beautifully, and I was drawn into the narrative pretty fast, although I do have some trouble following the plot...so many hanging links and implied connections

message 20: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I finished this one a couple of days ago - it wasn't quite what I was expecting and I thought the beginning was kind of slow (which is why it took me so long to finish it), but once the story devleoped more it really started moving for me. Overall I liked it.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I bought the audiobook from iTunes and am listening to it atm. Seems pretty good thus far. The accent doesn't seem forced during the dialogue portions.

message 22: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1837 comments I really enjoyed this book. I started with the audio book from the library but when I could not renew it and I still had about 2/3 of it left I returned it and read the rest. I thought that it was beautifully written and I liked that all the loose ends were resolved. I think I will see if I can fit The Angel's Game into this challenge.

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Work is getting busier with distractions so need to listen to the rest of the book on the weekend. Might have to while cooking-shopping.

message 24: by El (new)

El I'm only 114 pages in, but I have to say I'm struggling to really get interested in it. Did anyone else have this trouble? I like the concepts in the story but feel pretty lukewarm about the execution. I'm hoping it will pick up soon as I was looking forward to this one.

message 25: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments El wrote: "I'm only 114 pages in, but I have to say I'm struggling to really get interested in it. Did anyone else have this trouble? I like the concepts in the story but feel pretty lukewarm about the exec..."

I had to try several times before I could get all the way through the book. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who wasn't enamored of this book.

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'm struggling mainly b/c I decided to do this task by audiobook. So my attention tears away too many times. I honestly have to say I wish I got the book. Not sure if I'll finish MAINLY b/c I have 2 500pg books to finish - Firefight and Angel's Game. AG being the other book SotW's author wrote.

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Although I have to say the accents in the audiobook get me into the story.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Shadow of the Wind is my all-time favorite book.

I even went to Barcelona to find all the places mentioned in the book. :)

message 29: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 23 comments El wrote: "I'm only 114 pages in, but I have to say I'm struggling to really get interested in it. Did anyone else have this trouble? I like the concepts in the story but feel pretty lukewarm about the exec..."

El and Donna Jo, I completely agree with you that it was hard to get into and hard to stick with. It took me until around 300 pages in to get hooked on this story and want to know how it ended, not good. That said, I did like the ending. The story just dragged for me so much I only gave it a 2 star rating.

That said, I would probably reread it again some day b/c I wonder if I might like it more now that I know what happens and why all the small interwoven stories are so important. (Not that I didn't think so the first time through, they were just overwhelming b/c there were so many.)

message 30: by El (new)

El Jaclyn wrote: "El and Donna Jo, I completely agree with you that it was hard to get into and hard to stick with. It took me until around 300 pages in to get hooked on this story and want to know how it ended, not good. That said, I did like the ending. The story just dragged for me so much I only gave it a 2 star rating."

I went back and forth between a 2 and a 3 on this one, though ultimately ended on a 3-star rating. There were points that picked up a little for me, but for the most part I found it to be rather histrionic and unnecessary. I can't say I wish I hadn't read it, and I will check out The Angel's Game, but I'm certainly in no rush right now.

message 31: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 23 comments I went back and forth as well, but went with the "it was ok" label b/c I can't say I "liked it". I agree with the histrionic and unnecessary thoughts, but I am glad I read it so that I know. No regrets.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Shadow of the Wind is my all-time favorite book...my son's too.

My son and I traveled to Barcelona this summer and had our own scavenger hunt to find all the places named in the book and in the map at the back of the book.

What fun that trip was...Barcelona is also a very beautiful city.

message 33: by Tanya (new)

Tanya D (mtlbookworm) | 161 comments I loved this book! I only learned recently that this book had been translated from Spanish, and I was very impressed with the translation.

I was worried that the ending wouldn't be satisfying- there were so many characters and so many loose ends to tie up. But I was very happy with the way everything turned out.

Definitely a 5 star for me.

Now lets see how long it'll take them to turn this into a movie :P