What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: Older Book About Adult Population Dieing and Children Left on Own [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara In the third grade....or perhaps a tad bit later(so about 13 years ago), a teacher of mine read to the class a story about the adult population dieing off by some kind of disease. Children are immune to it. Children then became the sole humans on earth and had to fend for themselves. I recall a scene where they used an old school(or was it factory?) as a fortress. They also stole food/supplies from old warehouses. There were fights amoungst other groups of children too.

It was really good.
I'd like to reread it but can't recall the title for the life of me.

Thanks for your help,
Sara

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments I think you're looking for The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I think you're looking for The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson."

That is it! Thank you!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments Funny, that is also the exact plot line of the Showtime series (loosely based on a comic) Jeremiah.

message 5: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Not to mention a Star Trek episode. ;)

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 06, 2009 07:07AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
lol, AND an Andre Norton short story, which she then turned into a novel, which, unfortunately, I could not find listed in GR. The title of the novel is Outside. I don't remember which of the series of short stories she published had the short story in it, but that was called, I believe The Rhyming Man.

(Excerpt from the back of the novel)
Sealed into a huge domed city, Kristie and her brother Lew are among the few survivors of a polluted earth. Kristie has seen pictures of the grass, trees and animals of old earth in the learning center, and when the mysterious Rhyming Man comes by, she trusts him and cannot resist following him to see what Outside is really like.

Not a great description, and the short story is more from the brother's p.o.v. In the short story, the brother (aged about 14 or so) is one of the oldest of the children left alive.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica And also Empty World by John Christopher! And Gone by Michael Grant... I suppose it's not the most original plot but it is a goody.