Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous BOTM Threads > [BOTM] - October Nomination Thread

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Sep 22, 2014 04:35PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (AnnaErishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

It's that time of the month where we start thinking about what great Space Opera books we will read as a group in October. Up for nomination this month we have the following categories:

READER PICK: This category is for a traditionally published mass-market book that most people can walk into most any bookstore or library and be able to get it in both paperback and ebook. The book must also be available on at least three (3) digital platforms. KU and KDP-exclusive books are not eligible because we are a global community and that would exclude a lot of people.

INDIE PICK: This category is for an independently or micro-press published book that does not have a marketing budget behind it. This is for the newer, edgier books and ones who have gotten their rights back and are striving like a maverick where no man has gone before. This is for the little guy going it alone.

Also coming up in October:

SERIES PICK: We will continue with Book 5 of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi, The Human Division. Put that puppy on hold at your local library!

The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5) by John Scalzi John Scalzi

MOD PICK: This will be a book that catches your Borg Queen's eye, usually picked to balance out the other selections to provide variety.

Drop you nomination in the thread below. Each community member can nominate ONE book in EACH category (i.e., one Reader Pick and one Indie Pick). If somebody else nominated a book and you really want to read it, go ahead and nominate it again ... it will increase that book's chances of winning but is no guarantee. On the 1st of October we'll use Random.org to pick winners in each category. Because we choose randomly, authors are allowed to nominate their own books.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by James Bisceglia (last edited Sep 22, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

James Bisceglia | 19 comments I would like to nominate Ancient Treasure. It is my book and it's a self nomination as I'm one of the little guys. Thanks!!

Jim

Ancient Treasure

message 4: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments I nominate Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

message 5: by Philby (new)

Philby (Coldwall) | 16 comments I would like to nominate the the following trilogy by James S. A. Corey:

Leviathan wakes : Book one of the Expanse
Caliban's war : book two of the Expanse
Abbedons Gate - Book 3 of the Expanse

message 6: by M. (new)

M. Garnet | 12 comments I nominate my book an INDIE catagory called FILE A PROPER CLAIMFILE A PROPER CLAIM

message 7: by Ken (last edited Sep 23, 2014 07:22AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) | 53 comments My book for INDIE category is primarily a character study that has been called a space opera, and it does have elements of it: Ship of Storms Ship of Storms by Ken Doggett

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Indie book: The Star Thief by Jamie Grey

The Star Thief (Star Thief Chronicles, #1) by Jamie Grey

message 9: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Fisch (EJFisch) | 117 comments I'll nominate Dakiti Dakiti (Ziva Payvan, #1) by E.J. Fisch for the Indie pick!

message 10: by Conal (new)

Conal (ConalO) | 143 comments I will also nominate The Star Thief (Star Thief Chronicles, #1) by Jamie Grey for Indie pick
and Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) by David Brin for Readers pick.

message 11: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments I wonder if you need to read Sundiver first (which seems to be not that great, for all I've read), or can you read Startide Rising as a stand alone?

message 12: by Conal (last edited Sep 24, 2014 04:19PM) (new)

Conal (ConalO) | 143 comments Though Startide Rising is listed as book two of the Uplift Trilogy, each of the books (Sundiver, Startide Rising and Uplift War) are standalone in terms of story. They are only tied together in terms of the shared universe. Sundiver (at least to me) was actually interesting but more of a detective in space story rather than space opera.

message 13: by Betsy (last edited Sep 24, 2014 05:22PM) (new)

Betsy | 749 comments Mod
Beneath the Sky for Indie pick. I haven't read this one, but I've read Thompson's other book, which is also a space adventure, and enjoyed it.

Mutineer for Readers pick. This is the first of the Kris Longknife series, which I've been wanting to try.

message 14: by Bogusław (last edited Sep 25, 2014 03:04AM) (new)

Bogusław Muraszko (muraszko) | 1 comments I would like to nominate the the following 5-logy "Star Carrier" by Ian Douglas

message 15: by Les (new)

Les (thelearnedturtle) | 53 comments James wrote: "I would like to nominate Ancient Treasure. It is my book and it's a self nomination as I'm one of the little guys. Thanks!!

Jim

Sounds fascinating. All the best with this.

message 16: by Joshua (last edited Sep 25, 2014 09:10AM) (new)

Joshua Done (joshua_done) | 24 comments Gateway by Christopher Dorsey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Glasskeys | 1 comments I would like to nominate "Gateway" by Brian Dorsey. It rocks -- I wholeheartedly second Joshua's comment.

message 18: by James Bisceglia (new)

James Bisceglia | 19 comments Les wrote: "James wrote: "I would like to nominate Ancient Treasure. It is my book and it's a self nomination as I'm one of the little guys. Thanks!!

Jim

Sounds fascinating. All the best with this."

Thank you Les. So far so good. Just gotta get it out there!

message 19: by Matt (new)

Matt Cash (XCRAZY) | 1 comments I would like to nominate Mr. Dorsey and his novel Gateway!

Brian Dorsey (Christopher Brian Dorsey)

message 20: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 295 comments For the reader pick, I still haven't got round to reading Iain M Bank's The Hydrogen Sonata, which is sitting on my shelf waiting for me, so I'll nominate that. I'll leave the indie picks for this month.

message 21: by Les (last edited Sep 27, 2014 02:25AM) (new)

Les (thelearnedturtle) | 53 comments I nominate for Reader Pick The Adventures of Deacon Coombs: The Case of the Vanishing Vesper by Ambit Welder.

I saw it advertised on the back of Analog magazine recently, and it does sound interesting.

message 22: by Anna (last edited Sep 30, 2014 06:29AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (AnnaErishkigal) Okay ... here's what I've got so far! Been tied up at work lately (that boring stuff that pays the bills ... yes ... I do have a day job) so I've been lax about re-posting the pretty roll-call of book covers I like so much.

FIRST: Community member Frank PM'd me and asked me to add Deepsix by Jack McDevitt so I've added it to the spreadsheet and cover-call below. However, PLEASE list your nominations HERE (instead of PM'ing me) as I tend to lose your nominations if it isn't put in the thread. Thanks.

Okay ... the pretty colorful cover rollcall:

READER PICK:

A Tale of Two Clocks by James H. Schmitz Use of Weapons (Culture, #3) by Iain M. Banks Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) by David Brin Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1) by Mike Shepherd Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1) by Ian Douglas The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture, #10) by Iain M. Banks The Adventures of Deacon Coombs The Case of the Vanishing Vesper by Ambit Welder Deepsix (The Academy, #2) by Jack McDevitt

INDIE PICK:

Ancient Treasure (Lost Sols #1) by James Kirk Bisceglia Scavenger Hunt (Laser Books 25) by Stephen Goldin FILE A PROPER CLAIM by M. Garnet Ship of Storms by Ken Doggett The Star Thief (Star Thief Chronicles, #1) by Jamie Grey Dakiti (Ziva Payvan, #1) by E.J. Fisch The Star Thief (Star Thief Chronicles, #1) by Jamie Grey Beneath the Sky by Dan Thompson Gateway (Gateway Series, #1) by Brian Dorsey (Christopher Brian Dorsey) Gateway (Gateway Series, #1) by Brian Dorsey (Christopher Brian Dorsey) Gateway (Gateway Series, #1) by Brian Dorsey (Christopher Brian Dorsey)

Okay ... that's what I've got so far. Keep 'em coming!

message 24: by Reg (new)

Reg Davey (regdavey) | 4 comments Reader Pick: Rendezvous with Rama

Indie Pick: Zero

message 25: by Zac (last edited Sep 30, 2014 01:13PM) (new)

Zac | 1 comments Indie Pick: Gateway by Brian Dorsey.

message 26: by Cody (new)

Cody Sigel | 1 comments Indie pick: Gateway by Brian Dorsey

message 27: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Strange | 1 comments Indie Pick: Gateway by Brian Dorsey

message 28: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments Man Mr. Dorsey has a lot of friends...

message 29: by Brian (new)

Brian Dorsey (Brian_Dorsey) | 23 comments Packi ...even as small as it is, I'm really appreciating my fan base right now :)

message 30: by John (new)

John Inman | 1 comments Indie Pick: Gateway By Brian Dorsey!!!!!!!!

message 31: by Lan (new)

Lan LLP Exile Empire by Joshua Done

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Mccord | 1 comments Gateway by Brian Dorsey is an amazing scifi thriller and I can't wait for the sequel!

Kirsten "Ghost Deserved Better" (kmcripn) | 462 comments Do we know what we're up for in October?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah They have to do the random.org thing. It usually goes up later in the day I think.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.