Start by marking “Zero (The Orbit Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Zero (The Orbit Series #1)

Zero

(The Orbit Series #1)

Kaleb Hugo is every­thing an offi­cer of the Ser­vice should be: loyal, expertly trained, unques­tion­ing. He has done every­thing ever ordered of him and has done so with a pride that comes from know­ing you are fight­ing for the good of humankind… until the day that he made a decision to go against orders to obtain victory and save lives.

The bat­tle was won, but Hugo was
Paperback, 1, 372 pages
Published August 16th 2014 by Dagda Publishing Ltd (first published August 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zero

Start your review of Zero (The Orbit Series #1)
EJ Fisch
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, sci-fi
I picked this book up without really knowing much about it; it was relatively new and therefore had very few reviews, but the blurb drew me in and struck me as being Firefly-meets-Star-Wars with a little extra military sci fi thrown in. I finally got around to reading it this past week and discovered that was exactly the case!

Love the premise. No-nonsense military officer gets thrown in with a rag-tag crew of contractors with their own set of rules and methods of operation. It's a perfect setup
Michael Hicks
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After disobeying multiple commands to retreat, in the opening pages of JS Collyer’s sci-fi debut, Commander Kaleb Hugo finds himself publicly disgraced but secretly promoted to captain the Zero. A cobbled-together ship, the Zero is the covert pride of the Service, its motley crew a band of rogue pirates.

I’ll be honest – I’m not terribly well-read in the arena of military science fiction, despite it being a genre I enjoy quite a lot, especially on film. Like so many others, I was a huge fan of Fi
Marie
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rarely have I read a novel that integrated plot and character development so well. The story of Captain Hugo and his assignment to the spaceship Zero builds slowly at first, giving the reader time to meet the large cast of characters. Before too long, you're taken on a series of adventures, each one more dangerous than the last. The pace is fast, leaving the reader almost breathless, but Collyer balances action with those in-between times perfect for dwelling on character and relationships. Befo ...more
Sheri
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
**I recieved an ARC of this in return for a fair review.**

This book is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The only reason I don't give it a 5☆ is because it is not something I would go looking for. Miles away from my normal interests.

However, that didn't matter. The author took something that would normally be very boring for me and hooked me almost from the first instant.

The story is amazingly intricate and so very well done. The world building is fantastic. I would definitely read a second and
John Abbott
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Goodreads First Reads winner: I really enjoyed reading this book. It didn't have many slow points, and had some twists in it that you don't see from the beginning. The world is well framed and you can see yourself in it.
Helena Hann-Basquiat
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My earliest memories of science fiction all revolve around Wookies and green-skinned aliens, and having to learn different languages or else read sub-titles. As a child, I enjoyed the space-battles and futuristic technology, but for some reason, never got into reading this genre. For me, it was always more visual, perhaps because a lot of those stories were created to showcase new techniques in special effects.

So, how does a writer carry a story full of action without the benefit of CGI and a Jo
Rowena Hoseason
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an ambitious first novel, one which creates a sprawling and credible near-future, a tense and turbulent political situation, and then throws a rogue crew of space pirates into the mix. We’re a long way from old-school ‘hard’ sci-fi which tried as hard to be technically accurate as it did to tell a good story. Nope, think instead of Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Farscape and all. Zero certainly aims high.

Although Zero is set in space and in the future, it’s not really space-ope
Phillip McCollum
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this novel directly from the author.

Zero is the debut novel from author J.S. Collyer and the first in a series of what promises to be a restless, back-of-your-skull-pinned-to-the-seat ride for classical science fiction aficionados. If you're looking for hard sci-fi, look elsewhere. Zero is more Star Wars than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When an introductory quote is pulled from Tennyson's The Charge of the Light Brigade, the hint is there: expect
Kevin Brennan
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I admit it. Sci-fi isn’t my usual cup o’ tea, so I approached this novel with a little skepticism. Within a few pages, though, I knew I was reading a writer in full command of her craft (no pun intended).

Collyer introduces a large cast of characters with perfect clarity and finesse. It doesn’t take long to know who’s who on the crew of the Zero, but knowing who to trust is another matter. It’s a big theme in the book, because many things are not as they seem, and moral boundaries are often ambig
Gayle Pace
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
REVIEW

From page one I thought this would be a new series that would be a definite winner. The author used a different approach to sci fi. Commander Kaleb Hugo is disgraced after not adhering to several commands ordering retreat. Even though, he was disgraced he was promoted to be the captain of the ZERO. The ZERO was a ship shod stuck together with whatever was available. The crew was a bunch of pirates that had gone rogue.

The Serviceman and the True Believer are forced to work alongside a cre
Stacie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Zero: An Orbit Novel takes readers on a fast paced exciting ride through outer space on a quest to protect the Orbit from devastation.

The world has changed and many people have left Earth to live in the new colonies created in outer space, known as Orbit. Keeping order is difficult in this new world and The Service has been assigned to undertake this challenging mission. The Zero, a ship commanded by Ezekiel Webb, travels the Orbit building relationships through the exchange of goods. Their "poi
Stuart Aken
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Wow! This book moves at a great pace, and rarely lets up. This is a space adventure, a fast-moving action piece with little time to spend on explanation of the setting. However, the author cleverly integrates plenty of clues within the action so that the reader is able to envisage the world she has created here. And it is a world of undesirables, military types, skilled and able technicians, heroes and villains in many guises.

This is a story that gamers in particular will love. The reader experi
M.C. Dulac
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Intelligent Sci-Fi. Kaleb Hugo is the perfect officer for the Service, an organisation that keeps order in a not so distant future. But after disobeying his superiors in a spacefight with rebels, he is demoted and becomes Captain of the ramshackle spacecraft Zero and its ragtag crew. Officially the Zero is a privateer vessel. Unofficially, it does covert missions for the Service, sailing unnoticed into the darker ports of the universe.
The adventures begin with a spine-tingling raid on a data fac
Anneque Malchien
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the not-so-distant future, humanity has colonised the Moon. But spaceflight for the everyman is not without its drawbacks: space pirates, mega cities and interplanetary webs of lies – did I say drawbacks? Sorry, I meant AWESOME BENEFITS.

The Good: Zero is an interplanetary tale of intrigue. When Kaleb Hugo is booted out of the space military for doing the morally right thing (and the technically wrong thing), he thinks that’s the end of his career. Instead, he’s silently shuffled into the crew
Trey
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't amazing but it was definitely extremely enjoyable. I wish we could rate things on a 10 point scale because this would be at about 7.75/10. I would recommend this to someone trying to bust a reading slump or if they were going to be traveling all day.

First off. This is not hard sci fi. One of the few things I didn't like about the book was things didn't really seem to scale. At one point they spend a few hours flying from one Lunar colony to the next (which seems l
Kelly Smith Reviews
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The debut novel by JS Collyer, (published by Dagda Publishing) is a sci-fi epic that is actually longer than 200 pages! While these types of stories are further down on my "favorite genres" list, this book really appealed to me, with its amazing descriptive text, making me feel like I was there, on the Zero, on the colonized moon.
The story is visual, and I could actually see every unique place Collyer took the characters. It would make and excellent movie, and an even better anime!
The characte
Dominic O'Reilly
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever felt overwhelmed on a new job? Like you don’t quite fit in, people are talking behind your back and, when it comes down to it, you really don’t have the slightest idea what you’re doing? It could be worse. Kaleb Hugo is tasked by the shadowy Academy to captain the legally dubious Zero space ship on a series of desperate (and frequently very violent) missions.

Offering his unique brand of assistance is the de facto leader of the ship, Ezekiel Webb who gives all the help you’d expect from som
J. Guay
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I got an e-copy in exchange for an honest review. Usually when I make such a deal I plan on only giving 4 stars because, it is typically breakout and indie author books I'm reading. J.S. Collyer's ZERO might be both of those, but you wouldn't know it going through the pages. This is an expertly crafted story with incredible character depth, and a compelling plot with twists I didn't see coming even at the very end. The scifi elements were evident and important to the st ...more
Jd Atkin
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
There are some books you read that you instantly want to see made into a film, to have the images you create in your mind brought alive on the big screen. I have had this with a number of books over the years but Zero went in another direction. I want Zero: The Game.

From the first Zero has you wanting to grab a pistol and run alongside Hugo and Webb as they battle Splinters in the Lunar Strip or escape AI enforcers in daring motorbike chases through the forests of Old Europe.

Channelling Joss Whe
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
ZERO by J. S. Collyer is an interesting debut Sci-Fi novel. An interesting take on sci-fi. While, Sci-Fi is not my favorite genre, I found ZERO to be interesting as well as intriguing. The characters where engaging and entertaining. Well written, with danger, adventure and excitement. A well thought out plot and characters. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, you will probably enjoy ZERO as well. I look forward to more from this author. Received for an honest review.

Rating: 4

Heat Rating: mild

Reviewed by: April
Joshua Southern
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Toby Stainton
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The characters are well written and the pace bounces along nicely, going up another gear in the final third. I was disappointed to finish it because I know we have to wait a few months till the next instalment! My only criticism is the overuse of 'mumbling' and 'muttering' in the first half of the book in particular. I found that to be slightly distracting, although arguably it's better than writing 'he said' at the end of every speech. It's a minor quibble though and o ...more
Laura Enright
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I was younger I enjoyed reading space dramas. One of my favorite authors was C.J. Cherryh. I haven’t had the chance to read a good space novel for some time so when I got the chance, it was a pleasure to dive into Zero, by Jex Collyer. It’s a tautly written thrill ride in which all the elements are there: A ruling, interplanetary force (The Service) trying to retain control, liberation factions wanting to establish self-rule on colonized planets, commando raids on satellites, and a climacti ...more
Andrea Hinchey
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being a bona fide fantasy nut sci-fi isn't usually something I seek out but I'm so glad I did with Zero :) The author very successfully creates such an immersive World of technology, subterfuge, tested loyalty and friendship that you find yourself sucked into the novel with no hope of escape until you have finished. Oh and need I say it has space pirates and lasers, who doesn't like those? :)

Caleb Hugo is publically demoted for ignoring orders from his superiors during an intense battle, putting
R.J. Southworth
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
There was a lot to like in this book. I enjoyed the diverse and complex sci-fi setting, with its different colonies and characters, which brought to mind other things like Firefly and Mass Effect. The two main characters, Kaleb Hugo and Ezekiel Webb, are well-rounded and develop interestingly: the more emotional moments on their journeys are particularly well written.

However, there were some elements that could have been improved upon. Some of it felt rushed, like there was a bit too much actio
Ingelin
Spaceships, lunar colonies and undercover ops.
I enjoyed it, but will most likely forget it.
Rachel
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good first book, needs a bit of a proof read as there were a few errors. Story flowed well, good characters and satisfying ending. My only complaint is that I finished it too quickly.
Reg Davey
Aug 07, 2014
Stephanie Embry
Feb 02, 2015
Sally Sedgemore
Jul 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • The Body in the Dales (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Limitless (Out of the Box, #1)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat
  • Survive (The Atlantis Grail, #4)
  • The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries, #1)
  • Trailblazer (Verdant String, #3)
  • The Body on the Train (Kate Shackleton, #11)
  • LE-JOG-ed
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 2 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 1 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 3
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Tarareba Girls, #1)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol. 4
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
J. S. Collyer is a Science Fiction writer from Lancaster, England.

She lives with her partner and two cats and enjoys every second of building up her catalogue of published Science Fiction.

Her debut novel 'Zero', book one in the Orbit Series, was published by Dagda Publishing Aug 2014 and was listed in the Top Reads of 2014 by Northern Soul Magazine.

It's sequel 'Haven' came out Oct 2015 and the thi

The Orbit Series (3 books)
  • Haven (The Orbit Series #2)
  • Silence (The Orbit Series #3)