The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Do you take books with you when you travel?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments When you go on a trip do you brings books to read with you? I always used to bring a couple books to read with me during car rides and plane rides and just to have when I get bored. When ever I'd pack I'd end up trying to cram like 5-6 books in my bags. =P

Now I've got my Kindle though so that makes things so much easier. I don't have to choose which books I want to bring and I don't have to worry about taking too many or not enough.

So, what about you guys?

message 2: by Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (last edited Aug 29, 2009 06:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Yes...helps when sitting in the airport....usually only take one.

One bad thing is to not forget the book if you put it under the seat...I was so excited to be at my destination one time that I left the book on the plane.

Never got it back.

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Yes...helps when sitting in the airport....usually only take one.

One bad thing is to not forget the book if you put it under the seat...I was so excited to be at my destination one time that I le..."

EEP! I hope it wasn't a valuable book. =[

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Luckily it wasn't valuable.

I even had my ticket inside..you would have thought they would have returned it to me...oh well.

message 5: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I'm a college student, so I don't often travel, and when I do, it's in the car. I always take a book when we go for a drive someplace. Typically my boyfriend drives and I sit in the passenger seat with a pile of books. When we drove down to Florida from NY I only brought four books since our itinerary was packed, plus I wanted to talk to my friends during the ride, and also I had a six hour driving shift.

message 6: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Fiona wrote: "I take a book with me even when I'm popping around to the co-op shop. I mean you never know. I might get locked in or trapped somewhere I might need a book.

But yes - always. Although sometimes I ..."

I do that tooo! There is always a book in my purse, it definately comes in handy while waiting in a line. Or waiting at the laundromat.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (scete) | 31 comments Wherever I travel I always take a book with me, as Fiona even when I go to the shops. I have also left books in various places and parts of the world. I sometimes wonder what happened to them and whether they found a good home. My wife has just reminded me she left a copy of 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' in a toilet at Istanbul airport!!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I normally always carry a book, no matter where I am going. If I don't have something to read, I think I'd probably lose my mind!

JG (Introverted Reader) I pretty much always have at least one with me. When I travel, which is fairly often, I take at least two, probably three, and that's just for a long weekend! What if I finish one, or what if one sucks? I don't want to get caught without a book!

message 10: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I bring a book to my girl friend's when I am spending the night there. That is only 2 miles away, and I very seldom get a chance to read it. I take a book everywhere, usually more.

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta A good book to read is essential for travelling. I do a fair bit of work travel, and MUST have something for airports and planes, even when I know I won't have time to read once I'm at the destination and busy.

And one of my favourite things about holidays is the extended time available for reading. It makes packing a little more complicated (I can see the appeal of the kindle for that, I must say), because I can read a lot of books when I've got the time. But they're heavy in a suitcase.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 37 comments I enjoy taking books that relate to the area I am traveling. I read Pompeii while in S. Italy, Timeline in Paris, and P. Gregory's Henry VII books while in England. If I run out of reading, I enjoy visiting bookshops along the way.

message 13: by Viki (new)

Viki | 42 comments I always take books when I travel. They are my security blanket.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Definitely. In fact, I have what I call a "car book" that I leave in the car for times when I am waiting for something. This was very useful when my son was still in school and I was carpooling. I would read while waiting for the kids. As for long travel... when we went to Hawaii, my mom, sister, and I coordinated our books so that we didn't have too many in any one suitcase, but had plenty to read between the three of us! I own three different book bags that I pack for different types of travel. And yes - I always have at least two or three books in my carry on for flights. Just in case my luggage gets lost.

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments Most weekends of the month I'm usually out of state and I always bring at least one book that I'm currently reading. Though, I think I should invest in some audiobooks and actually give them a try because I do quite a lot of driving on these particular weekends.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) I am like a few of you. I always have a book in my purse. I take one everywhere I go. You never know when you'll have idle time. I even have the new B&N software on my Blackberry, so I can read on that too.

As for actual travel....I usually pack 5 to 6 books in my bag for a week's time. I never want to run out of things to read and have to find a bookstore. Bookstores are dangerous places for me. I can never walk out with just 1 or 2 books.

message 17: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments "I even have the new B&N software on my Blackberry"

Oh what a convenient piece of info! I was planning on getting a Blackberry tomorrow lol

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:48AM) (new)

Melissa (macyboston) "Oh what a convenient piece of info! I was planning on getting a Blackberry tomorrow lol"

It's a free download on the B&N website. You end up with some free books when you download to your Blackberry or PC. They make it for the iPhone as well.
It's not the greatest way to read a book, but its a nice resource when you have idle time.

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara Lu, I like to do that too, and read books about the places I'm traveling! Although, I usually bring a few extras as well, just to add some diversity. I also always keep a book in my purse. Not to mention, the city library is conveniently located between my school/work and home, so it's never difficult to pop in when I need something new. Plus the University's library is right on campus, if I need a new read immediately while working/between classes. And when traveling long distances, I always bring enough to keep me busy during down times.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I always have at least one book on hand. And lately I also often have my kindle in my bag. It's kind of amusing to think about how I have over a hundred books in my bag. X) I used to always have books when I traveled before too. One summer I was reading The Earth's Children series and I ended up packing 3 of them, one in hard cover. but I've always been a real economical packer when it comes to clothes. So it wasn't too bad. I just about finished all of them on the trip too.

message 21: by Leora (new)

Leora I always have a book with me and several in my carry on when I travel plus a few in my checked bags 'just in case'!

message 22: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I usually bring a book or two with me whenever I'm travelling; you never know when you'll end up waiting somewhere for a long period of time and in need of something to pass the time with =) Also, I dunno, I just feel much more secure whenever there's a book in my bag for some reason, lol xD

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments I usually take three or four books with me when I go on vacation. Sadly I cannot read in the car (I get carsick when I try), but I'll read on trains, planes, and boats. I managed to read all of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when I was on vacation a few years back. The main purpose of that vacation was so I could see the ocean for the first time. ;)

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz Fiona wrote: "I take a book with me even when I'm popping around to the co-op shop. I mean you never know. I might get locked in or trapped somewhere I might need a book.

But yes - always. Although sometimes I ..."

I'm like that too, Fiona! I never go anywhere without a book. You never know when a free moment will pop up. My parents have been making bi to tri annual trips between Ohio and Wisconsin/Minnesota (at least 10 hours) for about 12 years now. I'd always read on those car rides. Now they mostly fly me back and forth (school and home), and I tend to bring at least one leisure book in my carry-on at all times. If I'm vacationing for a week, I'll have 4 or 5 checked books in my luggage.

message 25: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Ken wrote: "Wherever I travel I always take a book with me, as Fiona even when I go to the shops. I have also left books in various places and parts of the world. I sometimes wonder what happened to them and w..."

I usally take two books with me when I travel. If I know I will have to do some driving I make sure I have an audio book with me. I have a book in my van at all times. I belong to BookCrossing.com, so I leave books behind on purpose.

message 26: by Dree (new)

Dree I always take books--usually library books, it's not like I am ever gone very long. If we are camping I take an extra to read my lantern at night :)

I can read in the car, but usually the kids will not allow it. I sometimes read to THEM though! I hate flying, partly because in order to read on the plane I have to hold the book up in front of my face. If I look down to read (like I do in the car), I lose my balance and only my seat belt keeps me in my seat.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I always bring two to three books with me when I go to the office. My work is about an hour away from my home and I usually take a bus or a train (depending on my mood) when I go there everyday. During that spare time, I try to read as much as I can or listen to some Audio Books I have. Reading books while traveling actually makes me feel comfortable and saves me the trouble of procrastinating for an hour and looking into every passenger that enters the bus or train. ^_^

Petra wonders how life without books would be? (petra-x) I have been going back and forth to the UK from the island most of this year (my Mum, who died four weeks ago tonight, had lung cancer) which is, each way, two long flights with an hour's sail to start with, so I take at least three books for the boat/plane and for the first day home. Then I buy books for the rest of the time and the journey home. I feel guilty buying books as I have a bookshop but I can't resist going into them anyway. I have one more trip to do in a few weeks and I will be staying in a house with no television and no internet and no car, so I guess I will have to take a lot of books with me.

message 29: by El (new)

El Petra X wrote: "I have been going back and forth to the UK from the island most of this year (my Mum, who died four weeks ago tonight, had lung cancer) which is, each way, two long flights with an hour's sail to s..."

I'm sorry to hear that, Petra.

message 30: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) I always take books with me where ever I go. Whatever I'm reading at the time goes along with me everyday, just in case I have time to read. When I travel I try to take enough that will get me through the trip, but sometimes it's nice to go to a bookstore in a new place and pick some up for the return trip! I do have a Sony E-reader and now use that mostly for traveling.

message 31: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 30, 2009 12:16AM) (new)

Vanessa Paey | 53 comments Ralph wrote: "When you go on a trip do you brings books to read with you? I always used to bring a couple books to read with me during car rides and plane rides and just to have when I get bored. When ever I'd p..."

I've been thinking about getting a Kindle...anyone out there who has one want to throw out any input? Thanks :) Just figured I would ask because I always fall into the camp of packing too many books for my luggage when I go places

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes definitely, I only started reading again this year but every time of gone somewhere (even only for business) i have taken at least 2.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Vanessa wrote: "Ralph wrote: "When you go on a trip do you brings books to read with you? I always used to bring a couple books to read with me during car rides and plane rides and just to have when I get bored. W..."

Don't have a Kindle, but I am so afraid it is going to "ruin" our libraries and having real books available...our libraries have already cut down on hours because of lack of funding. :(

Petra wonders how life without books would be? (petra-x) Elizabeth wrote: "Don't have a Kindle, but I am so afraid it is going to "ruin" our libraries and having real books available...our libraries have already cut down on hours because of lack of funding. :(..."

I think inevitably that libraries will soon start to offer books to download on Kindle or other devices (with some sort of expiry date where it either disappears or you get annoying messages, I would imagine)> You won't even need to visit the library any more either, you'll be able to do it through their website. Kindle rips people off. The portion that goes to the author still does, but the portion that went to the printer doesn't. It is discounted, but not a whole lot and that part, together with the distributor's margin now goes to Amazon. I expect that either libraries will make special deals with Amazon or that there will be other formats that gain popularity and other distributors.

There will always be picture books though. That's something.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments Yes. I do bring books when I travel & then I buy some more. I write my name, date I bought the book & the place I bought it. The book then holds a little memory from my vacation.

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Absolutely bring books for travel. I love reading on the plane. And must always bring 2-3 to choose from for the return trip home. When I lived in Boston, I was ablet to read on the subway to and from work, but now that I drive to work, can't do that anymore!

message 37: by Tracey (last edited Aug 30, 2009 11:04AM) (new)

Tracey (tracey1970) Yes, I like to pack a book when travelling. I usually end up buying more wherever I go though!

message 38: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 64 comments Jennifer wrote: "Yes. I do bring books when I travel & then I buy some more. I write my name, date I bought the book & the place I bought it. The book then holds a little memory from my vacation."

Ohh! I like the idea of writing the date and where you bought it in the books. I'm going to start doing that when I buy books while on vacation.

message 39: by Queen (new)

Queen | 74 comments I am truly among the likes of me. I carry a book with me whenever I leave the house. I have been fortunate not to have left any of them someplace. I am so bad, sometimes I carry the book I am reading from room to room in my own house. Just like the lady from Golden Girls that carried her purse with her all the time as if someone would steal it from her. I also cry thief when I cannot find a book I want to read knowing no one in the house reads the type of books I do. I am plum silly!!! :D

message 40: by Queen (new)

Queen | 74 comments Jennifer wrote: "Yes. I do bring books when I travel & then I buy some more. I write my name, date I bought the book & the place I bought it. The book then holds a little memory from my vacation."

I write my name, date and place I bought my books too. See when I thought I was the only one. This made my day :D.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I always have a book with me. You never know.

I like the idea of Kindle except that I like physical books. Usually I keep and refer to the books I buy. I have lost far too many electronic files to corruption, device failure, or medium obsolescence. I have the first book I ever bought (The Hobbit, purchased in 1970), whereas I do not still have the first 45, LP, 8-track, cassette, downloaded album, or downloaded book. I like that a book needs no batteries or peripherals. I like that the only player a book needs is my eyes.

Recently I've been using a new strategy for long travel since I've been flying to places with low baggage weight allowances. I put a few books on the iPod as a back up and pack inexpensive, easily replaceable books that I intend to trade or leave behind. I think of the cost as a book rental fee. The weight that's freed up in my luggage as I finish each book can be used for new books or purchases that still fall under the weight allowance.

I was just on a cruise and will say that having books on iPod was great for the times when I was queasy and couldn't read.

message 42: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 193 comments I go nowhere without one or more books, even when running errands. I can always read while waiting in line or whatever.

I used to travel with many books but weight restrictions have changed things. I spend a lot of time in the U.S. (I live in Hong Kong) so I have a small library in the U.S. I also buy books as I travel, usually used, and give them away when I'm finished. I tried Book Crossings for a while but it was too much hassle so now I pass a book on to a friend or a stranger or a seatmate on a plane or dump in the Book Return receptacle at a nearby library. If the library doesn't want it they can sell it at their next book sale.

This is, obviously, all done with paperbacks. HCs are just too much trouble to travel with.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments Queen...you're def. not the only one. I picked up this habit from my mom!!!

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) I have a Sony Reader, so I have 70+ books with me whenever I travel.

message 45: by Queen (new)

Queen | 74 comments Jennifer wrote: "Queen...you're def. not the only one. I picked up this habit from my mom!!!"
def?

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I to always have a book with me no matter where I am at. I even go as far as to make sure that whatever purses I buy have plenty of room for at least one book. When I go on trips I usually pack at least four books from my TBR list so that if my mood changes I have a selection to choose from. My parents and friends think I'm crazy.

Now after reading all these posts I definately think I'm going to get an ipod so that I can listen to them in the car or plane and won't get queasy.

message 47: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments I come from a family that reads. We all pack books for vacation that will work out to about a book to 2 days. If the weather is bad or really good(reading on the beach)I'll need to visit a bookstore.

When we were younger we would go on vacation with other family. Inveritably we would end up with a table, chair, corner that was full of all the books we brought and we shared them with each other. More than once we left behind paperbacks for the next renters.

It is a rare day when I don't have a book with me!

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments Stephanie wrote: "I to always have a book with me no matter where I am at. I even go as far as to make sure that whatever purses I buy have plenty of room for at least one book. When I go on trips I usually pack at..."

Steph...all my purses are big b/c I have to HAVE to keep a book in it. My family laughs at me b/c my bag ends up being heavy. So we have this joke that if anyone tries to mug me...I can wack them with my purse.

Queen wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Queen...you're def. not the only one. I picked up this habit from my mom!!!"
def?

"

definitely...sorry (it's a habit)

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Lol yeah my family says my purse is a deadly weapon...especially when I'm reading a hardback book...lol.

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz I totally know what you guys mean! Plus if I'm with my bf, I often end up sticking one or two of his in my purse, so it can get heavy...

« previous 1