American Historical Fiction discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 872 (872 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 607 comments Mod
If you're new to the group, welcome, and please take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm Jenny, I read a little bit of everything but my favorite books are historical novels, particularly those with a good dose of romance. I have a history degree and I go through phases of special interest. Right now I'm really into the colonial/Revolutionary period of American history.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Hi I'm interested in reading, history and talking about both

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison (anmileto) | 1 comments Hi! My name is Alison and I read a little bit of everything. I love historical romance with a bit of suspense. Nothing like a beautiful character being rescued by a dashing man on a big horse!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Hi Vikz, welcome to the group! What kind of books do you like to read? Do you have any favorites you'd like to add to the bookshelf?

message 5: by Lyn Rae (new)

Lyn Rae (lrblizz) | 1 comments Hello! My name is Lyn Rae. I love historical fiction, Southern literature, mysteries, and the classics.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Our little group has really grown in the last few weeks! New members, please feel free to say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself!

message 7: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Hi there. I'm Toni. I found your group after I saw someone else at the Historical Fictionistas group was a member. I read a lot of HF of all different kinds, but I especially like stories of American women's experiences. I'm currently reading Calico Palace.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit We are growing. Glad to see Tara found us, I'm very ashamed I didn't think to invite her :)

Tony, I love Calico Palace it's one of my favorite "comfort read" books.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Toni wrote: "Hi there. I'm Toni. I found your group after I saw someone else at the Historical Fictionistas group was a member. I read a lot of HF of all different kinds, but I especially like stories of Americ..."

Welcome to the group. What sparked your interest in the storoes of women?

message 10: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Misfit, I think I found it on your 5-star list. I went through your bookshelf months ago and added a bunch to my TBR. I'm just working my way through them.

Vikz, I haven't really analyzed the interest. When I was in college, I took a lot of women's studies classes. I think I was one class short of a minor. Some of those were women's history classes. It's amazing how much is left out of history textbooks. History classes tend to be all about dates and elections and battles, not about what life was really like in different time periods and how those eras shaped ours and so on. I find even when books I read are totally fiction, not based on a real person or event, you can get a lot about how people lived.

Plus, I read all the Little House on the Prairie books when I was a kid. That probably planted the seed early.

message 11: by Allie (new)

Allie | 11 comments Hi, I'm Allie! I am new to my historical fiction obsession and I have only read one American HF but I look forward to reading many more! I have 31 Bond Street waiting for me after I finish my current read! And I HAVE to read GWTW by the end of the year because it has sat on my bookshelf for almost a year now untouched and I feel ashamed.

Thanks for the invite Misfit!

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Hi Allie!

Lots to explore in American HF. Gwen Bristow, Anya Seton and more. Don't let the size of GWTW scare you there's tons of dialogue so it reads quicker than you think.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Hi Allie, and welcome! My historical fiction obsession was renewed about two years ago. So many books, so little time!

I put off reading GWTW for a long time. I'm a southern girl and I know more than a few people who are devoted to the book and the movie, and I don't know, I just felt like being contrary I guess. Plus I'd seen the movie a dozen times. But I read it last year and it was so good I kicked myself for not having read it sooner.

But, I'm also a fan of long books. I saw a t-shirt I have to get, it said: I Like Big Books and I Cannot Lie!

message 14: by Allie (new)

Allie | 11 comments Thanks Misfit & Jenny!! haha I enjoy big books too or series of books!!

That is hilarious! I might have to find that tshirt!!

message 15: by Shomeret (last edited Apr 12, 2010 06:16PM) (new)

Shomeret | 48 comments I love historical fiction. In fact, it's the largest category on my GR shelves. I found out about this group from a post on Historical Fictionistas.

Last year the best American historical fiction I read was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

And as I mentioned on another thread, I just love the Sara Donati series. Its' connection to the James Fennimore Cooper Leatherstocking Tales is what drew me to that series. Has anyone here read that classic American historical series? It begins with The Deerslayer.

I also read historical mysteries and thrillers. David Liss's American historical thriller,The Whiskey Rebels was another standout from last year.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

I've been wanting to read Bitter and Sweet. I haven't read it yet, but I have Last of the Mohicans on my shelf. I read Whiskey Rebels last year and I liked it, but it didn't thrill me. Although I thought that was a fascinating time in history to learn about. Standouts for me last year were Lonesome Dove, Gone With the Wind and Enemy Women.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I just could not get into Whiskey Rebels. Tried off and on for three months and finally bailed. I hated the MC's as well as the switching POV's. Everyone else loves it though :)

message 18: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi, I'm Hayes. Misfit suggested I join because we are both reading The Wives of Henry Oades. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but this is a good opportunity to start! I live in Rome, Italy, but am originally from New York City.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Marjorie wrote: "Actually I don't think "everybody" loved Whiskey Rebels. I didn't. I couldn't finish it, or even get very far into it.
I like Liss' other writing much better: The Coffee Trader and the Benjamin We..."

I do want to try another Liss book in the future. Glad I'm not alone.

Glad you joined us Hayes.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Hello Hayes, welcome! I'm waiting for my turn at the library for Wives of Henry Oades. Living in Rome?? How jealous am I!!!

message 21: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Yeah, we've threatened to all come over and invade her sometime. Please join us when you get your hands on it Jenny.

message 22: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Misfit wrote: "Yeah, we've threatened to all come over and invade her sometime. Please join us when you get your hands on it Jenny."

I'll have to set up a toll free number for reservations!
1-800-YayRome!

message 23: by Mary (new)

Theobald Mary | 14 comments Hello Hayes. I recently finished THE WIVE OF HENRY OADES. Did you know that its author, Johanna Moran, is a Goodreads member? I'm sure she'd love to hear your thoughts when you've finished.

message 24: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Mary, no I didn't know that. Thanks!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineblevins) | 27 comments Hi all - My name is Chris.

I think my love of historical fiction began as a girl when I first read the LITTLE HOUSE series.

So, for a long time, historical novels (especially stories with American settings) have been my favorite genre to read, and no wonder that was where I headed when I began writing. I'm happy to find a group of like minds

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Hi Chris! Welcome to our group!

message 27: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 17 comments Hello!
I'm a reader and a writer of American HF. I really like the stories that tell about the small pieces of history that often get overlooked or neglected, i.e.
The Last Renegade, by Mike Kearby, about a young Comanche youth who was held captive as an "exhibit" by a traveling circus in 1877 Texas, or Brothers Blue and Gray by Ellen Gray Massey that tells of the struggles of a woman holding together a Missouri farm while her two brothers fight on opposing sides in the Civil War. I think these unique stories give great insight into American History.

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Hello, Kae, and welcome! Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to look up them up right now, but The Last Renegade in particular appeals to me. That sounds like it could be a great story!

message 29: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 48 comments The Last Renegade also sounded good to me. I put it on my cart at Amazon for later.

message 30: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 56 comments Kae wrote: "Hello!
I'm a reader and a writer of American HF. I really like the stories that tell about the small pieces of history that often get overlooked or neglected, i.e.
The Last Renegade..."

Both of these books sound wonderful and I have added them to my to-read shelf. Thank you so much!

message 31: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Hi- glad to have found this group. I read all kinds of hist-fic and hist-myst covering most eras & locations. I guess somewhat less than half of what I have on my historical fiction shelf at GR is American in setting.

A personal "initiative" I have had for the past several years is to read at least one book set in the French & Indian War every summer. Often I get in more than one a year.

I also enjoy colonial period & early 1800s, westward expansion, 'gilded age' and WWI era but will dabble in any period. Particularly enjoy themes of women overcoming social barriers.

message 32: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 17 comments I'd like to extend my Introduction by mentioning that I have written several AHF titles in the eras Joan, Jenny, Sandra and others have mentioned.
Fury in Sumner County is in Kindle, print and audio); Spotted Flower and the Ponokomita - in print for young readers.

More are listed at my Amazon page. For some reason, I can't get them attached to my GR Author page.

message 33: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 48 comments Kae, if there are titles that you have written that aren't on your author page, you should bring this to the attention of the GR Librarians group. I believe that a Super Librarian can correct this.

message 34: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 17 comments Shomeret wrote: "Kae, if there are titles that you have written that aren't on your author page, you should bring this to the attention of the GR Librarians group. I believe that a Super Librarian can correct this."

Thanks, Shomeret. I'll contact them.

message 35: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 56 comments Thanks Kae - I will check your books out!

message 36: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 17 comments Shomeret, I've touched base with GR Librarians, and they're working on getting all the titles together. Thanks again for the information.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) hey i'm lizz

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Hi Lizz, welcome to our group!

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) | 13 comments hi I am gökçe

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) Pandora wrote: "hi I am gökçe"

Hi

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyreece) | 11 comments Hi, I'm Lulu!

I like to read all different kinds of books, but find myself often stuck on what's popular. (And I really HATE vampires!)I like HF, but didn't know many titles and authors - that's why I joined. My TBR list is NEVER going to get any smaller. I'm off to the bookshelf.

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Welcome gökçe and Lulu! This group is definitely bad for your TBR list! Fortunately we have some very savvy readers in this group so at least you can count on all of the recommendations being good ones!

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Hey everybody! I see we've got a lot of new members! Welcome to our group! Don't be shy, drop us a line, introduce yourself, and feel free to join in our discussions!

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 6 comments I my name is Katie and I joined last night. I do love historical fiction and am in need of some good suggestions. I look forward to looking through your ideas.

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Katie wrote: "I my name is Katie and I joined last night. I do love historical fiction and am in need of some good suggestions. I look forward to looking through your ideas."

Welcome Katie! We've got tons of good book suggestions and we add new ones every week!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 105 comments I'm Susanna, and Historical Fiction is one of my largest shelves.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments Hello! I'm Megan and I love all books. I am 17 and I just finished reading 1984 which made me realize how boring all these modern books are getting. I really liked how smart the book was and how much it got me thinking. I have to admit I'm new to the historical genre, but I'm really eager to try it out. I don't know if Seabiscuit counts as historical, but it is my all time favorite so if anyone would like to make any suggestions feel free! I'm all ears!

message 49: by Jenny (new)

Welcome Susanna and Megan! I think everyone has their own idea of what is considered historical fiction. I personally tend to think that anything that takes place at least 30 years ago qualifies, although technically, yesterday is history!

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol (ladywriter) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Carol. I'm a writer, editor, and yes, reader, and I haven't read much historical fiction - yet. Looking for some good reads. I'd also love to try my hand at writing in this genre in the future. It'll be fun to chat with others in here.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18