Start by marking “Black City Demon” as Want to Read:
Black City Demon

Black City Demon

(Black City Saint #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Since he became the guardian of the Gate between our world and Feirie sixteen hundred years ago, Nick Medea, once Saint George, has battled to keep the darkest Feirie--the Wyld--from invading the mortal plane. With the dragon an unwilling part of him, Nick maintains balance between realms, often at great cost to him and those nearest to him.
Nick and his ragtag confederate
Published March 14th 2017 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about Black City Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black City Demon

Assaph Mehr
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Seems like I just can't stay away from these noir-historical-fantasy-detective blends... This is the second book in the Black City series; I've already read, loved, and reviewed Black City Saint.

What to Expect

This book, while a separate adventure, continues straight from the previous one and builds up on the events therein. You can expect to learn more about Nick Medea's past, the world of Feirie, and Chicago's history.

Without spoilers, this novel expounds on a dark episode in Chicago's history
Rebecca
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had high hopes for Black City Demon and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it lived up to my expectations. Once again, the art deco cover was gorgeous and Knaak’s skillful incorporation of historical events really enhanced the appeal of the story for me. I had a good bit of fun researching The Beast of Chicago and his reign of terror. There’s nothing more chilling than realizing what creeped you out in a work of fiction actually happened!

The story picks up not long after the events of Bla
Jeff Bryant
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Black City Demon is the follow up to Richard Knaak ‘s fanciful urban fantasy Black City Saint, continuing the tale of Nick Medea, the reincarnated spirit of St George and the reluctant guardian of the Fae. After his defeat of Oberon and securing the safety of 1920s Chicago (and the human world) , Nick is tasked finding and defeating another enemy of both worlds, this time something not of either world.
Again, Knaak’s snappy dialogue and noir narrative take the reader along on a journey well suite
Mitchell
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ever have the experience where a topic or word you've never heard of before gets brought up once and then you keep hearing it? Yeah, that was me and the "Murder Hotel". I heard a podcast all about it right before reading this book, of which it is a big feature.

I'm a big fan of Knaak and so I've been willing to overlook my usual reluctance to pick up fantasy novels set in post-industrial revolution times and he's repaid that trust with a couple really fun books. This continues the story of Nick
Ashley Blodgett
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I was hoping for the sequel to Black City Saint! It was riveting from the beginning, and I truly fell in love with Mr. Medea's ever returning love. She is so strong, and takes everything she goes through without cracking. Nick is smart and as loyal to her as a true saint would be. These characters have a special place in my heart, and I can't wait to read more about them.

to see what else I thought, you can head to
J. Else
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to be posted in the spring newsletter of the Historical Novel Society at www.historicalnovelsociety.org with Goodreads to follow.
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
I feel like my review is going to be somewhat repetitive since I liked all the same things that I did about the first book, except I liked this one even more.

I once again really liked the combination of the Prohibition Era, Catholicism, Feirie, and dragons (Nick is Saint George, forced to be something close to immortal and guard the Gate to Feirie after slaying the dragon that was guarding it before, as well as forced to share his body with the dragon). It’s just so interesting and
Tony DiMatteo
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's baaaaack!!!

A ghost hunting saint, a dragon, a dame, a lycanthrope channeling his inner Jimmy Cagney, and ghosts, lots and lots of ghosts, join forces to rid the prohibition era windy city of a demon serial killer. Say what??? Put it all together in a good old fashioned noir and you get one freakishly fun read!
There is absolutely nothing better than an accomplished author like Richard Knaak stepping outside the norm and putting a truly unique series together. Black City Demon and its predece
Jeff
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Minor Spoiler

I say minor because the secret villain's identity is telegraphed very heavily throughout... but still its a spoiler.

For some reason, Chicago seems to be the go-to city for urban fantasy - starting with Butcher and going forward. Yet, this is the first series that actually makes Chicago a character in the novels.

Taking place during prohibition, this the second novel in the series sees the protagonist, Nick Medea aka St. George (of Dragon fame) battling an infamous serial killer (base
Clay Kallam
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
“Black City Demon” (Pyr, $18, 365 pages) is a reset of Kevin Hearne’s popular Iron Druid Chronicles, and volume two of this series pretty much lives up to its progenitor.

Richard Knaak is a veteran writer, and the pages turn in Prohibition-era Chicago, where a long-lived Nick Medea, who hosts a dragon in his brain that constantly wants to take over the body they share, battles an assortment of ghosts, demons and other urban fantasy stalwarts.

And in yet another homage to the Iron Druid Chronicles,
Brian Palmer
This continues the adventures of Nick Medea, sometimes known as St. George, acting as guardian to the gate between the human world and Fairy, in Prohibition-era Chicago. The second book is often the proving ground of a series, because the world is no longer so novel but large arcs aren't ready to be concluded; it all comes down to the characters and the "case of the week," so to speak.

I liked the book, but not quite as much as I liked the first one. I have developed somewhat of a limited tolera
G.R. Matthews
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, the sequel to Black City Saint. Prohibition fantasy where St George and the Dragon continue to fight to protect the gate. This time the danger comes from a different direction and there is much mythos building - inc the history of St George and his reincarnating love interest.

If you like Dresden it is for certain you'll love this!
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Nick’s darkest adversity to date rises straight from the past, will he be able to stop him this time?

Opening Sentence: I’d failed her.

Excerpt: No

The Review:

Nick is back again, this time while visiting the grave of Clarissa (Claryce in a past life). He is attacked and he sees a ghost. When he rushes over to where the ghost had been the grave reads Claudette and Nick knows that she is another past life, but he didn’t meet her while she was ali
Jennifer Wadsworth
This review is for the print version. Originally posted on 3/7/2017 at One Book Two. I received a review copy of this book from the author/publisher. All opinions are my own.

What can happen when a bad person gets control of a lot of power? Isn't that what many Americans are asking themselves these days? Black City Demon tackles that question as well when an old enemy of Chicago gets his hands on the power of Feirie.

This is a great follow-up to Black City Saint . Nick, Fetch, Kravayik, Claryce,
Amanda
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won the advance copy of this from Goodreads and was immediately drawn in! When I realized it was a series I got the first book right away! The story pulls you in and keeps you guessing about not only what will happen next but what happened in the characters' past!
Ross Bishop
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A worthy second book to what I hope is a long running series. A brilliantly crafted tale that weaves people and events from the distant past into a cohesive story in the not too distant past.

This awesome book has my highest recommendation.
Joy
Nice take on Urban Fantasy even if it is last century's urban
Joshua Logsdon
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting setting and characters, but lacking in execution.
Tonya Mathis
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I may have to read a little more on some of Chicago's Bloody history. Interesting to say the least. Looks like there may be another book. Can't wait.
Rosemary
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nick's trying to get back to what passes for normal after the events of Black City Saint, but a serious evil is on the rise again, and both Nick and the Dragon are in its sights. With his shapeshifting buddy Fletch, the reincarnation of his eternal love, Claryce, and the ghost of the roman emperor that ordered his death, Nick finds himself taking on the Devil in the White City himself.

I love this series. Knaak brilliantly evokes Chicago's Jazz Age; Prohibition and gangs rule the day, and the cop
Frank King
Feb 04, 2018
Selena Yustman
Sep 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, the Dragonrealm and Black City Saint series (his own creations), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written several non-series fantasy books.

Black City Saint (3 books)
  • Black City Saint
  • Black City Dragon

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49