What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Wonderful Voyage
This topic is about The Wonderful Voyage
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids/YA 2 Children accompany father on sailing ship to catch whales [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy | 3 comments This book was read to me in elementary school which would be the late 1960's. A whaling ship captain takes his wife and kids with him and his crew on a year-long expedition to the far corners of the globe to hunt sperm whales. I remember the descriptions of killing the whales and rendering out the blubber into whale oil to be particularly graphic, considering the book was written for a young audience. The book very much romantisized whaling. (So non-PC!)

message 2: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 18 comments Could it be The Wonderful Voyage by Ruth Holberg? This is the only description I could find: "Eight-year old Randy and her older brother Jay go on the most exciting trip that could happen in the 1850's - a whaling voyage on their father's ship, from Gloucester, around Cape Horn and up through the Pacific Ocean

Looks like it was published in 1945

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy | 3 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "Could it be The Wonderful Voyage by Ruth Holberg? This is the only description I could find: "Eight-year old Randy and her older brother Jay go on the most exciting trip that could happen in the ..."

That sounds very promising! I'll see if I can find a copy. I don't quite know why I want to re-read it, but it made such an impression on me as a child.

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments I don't know this one, but if no one comes up with it you might message author Michele Torrey (she's on Goodreads) as she wrote some YA novels on whaling and may be familiar with this one.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy | 3 comments I bought a copy of The Wonderful Voyage on eBay and it is the right book. Thanks for your help!