The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Good books with writers as the main character?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am sure there are tons, but between reading frantically to finish the Summer challenge, working and trying to plan the next challenge my brain is on the fritz!

I am trying to find a good fiction book for Roseann's task- dream job= writer. I have read a lot of non-fiction books about writing, so would like fiction. Although come to think of it...Bird by Bird might be a good choice?

Ideas? Thoughts?

THANKS!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Writer was my childhood dream job as well (before I realized I actually hate writing, haha). I've penciled in Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon for this one. I enjoyed the movie, and I like Chabon!

message 3: by Katie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 10:03PM) (new)

Katie Wonder Boys was a great movie! Also in the world of Chabon, in The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay Sam Clay writes pulp novels and comic book scripts.

My other suggestions are:

Erasure - I guarantee it's like nothing you've ever read before. It is a bit esoteric, though, so skip it if you're not into that. [Edit: AHH! The goodreads synopsis has mad crazy spoiler! Don't read it! Anyone know how to report that?:]

Travesties - A play by the guy that wrote Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Very funny, with great characterizations of Joyce and Stalin.

Dear Mr. Henshaw - a favorite of young Katie

Little Women - of course

Any number of Kurt Vonnegut books featuring Kilgore Trout, fictional science fiction author. I think the first was God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. Some books just mention him, others feature him. I couldn't tell you which are which, but I'm sure there's some Vonnegut aficionado around here that could.

Happy writer reading!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Then there are the Murder She Wrote books, where Jessica Fletcher is a mystery writer that --Wait for it-- solves mysteries. They are really quick and fast if you don't mind mysteries. (They are some of my favorite beach reads)

message 5: by Katie (last edited Aug 27, 2009 11:08PM) (new)

Katie Wow. That synopsis of Erasure was really freaking me out! We're not talking a small little spoiler, but 3 or 4 major plot twists. Don't check Amazon either--it's the same Publisher's Weekly review. Grumble, grumble. Here's a good review.

[Edit (again): I have devoted way too much energy to this, but the spoilers have been removed by the powers that be. It is once again safe to visit the Erasure page. I feel a little like a superhero, saving innocent readers from spoilers, one entry at a time. The above linked review is still a really good one. I'm sure you could care less and never planned on reading Erasure anyway. LOL!]

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments I mentioned these to someone else looking for books about authors - but the main character in Chris Ewan's books - The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam&The Good Thief's Guide to Paris is a mystery writer who also happens to be a thief - they are both really good and I can't wait for the next one in the series.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Katie wrote: "Wow. That synopsis of Erasure was really freaking me out! We're not talking a small little spoiler, but 3 or 4 major plot twists. Don't check Amazon either--it's the same Publisher's Weekly revi..."

Katie, I added it to my TBR. :o) I also really appreciate the effort you put in to getting the synopsis fixed. I LOATHE spoilers!

message 9: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Dude. You guys just totally solved my problem. Thanks :-)

I have been trying to fit The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society into the challenge and couldn't figure it out. I had not even considered the job challenge yet because I did not want to try to figure out what would relate to my "current job".

But my dream job is writing, so it will fit right in, won't it?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Cait wrote: "I'm not sure what you've already read, but maybe this list could help others too.

The Thirteenth Tale
The World According to Garp
[book:The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pe..."

The Book of Joe looks like it was the screenplay/idea behind the short lived ABC series October Road. I loved that show, sorry it didn't last. I added this book to my TBR, sounds interesting.

Being a mystery buff, I also added the two Good Thief books.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Manday wrote: "Dude. You guys just totally solved my problem. Thanks :-)

I have been trying to fit The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society into the challenge and couldn't figure it out...."

Yes it will! Yay!

message 12: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1837 comments If you like Dean Koontz Mr. Murder is about a man who writes mystery novels.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments First, The Thirteenth Tale is one of my favorites of the last few years -- but you have to like gothic novels to truly love it.

Second, *TONS* of chick-lit books involve writers as the main characters, too. If you're looking for something in that vein, Jane Green and Jennifer Weiner have writers for sure that come to mind (Jemima J, Good in Bed -- both very enjoyable and not overly cloying or simplistic IMO).

Third, some memoirs and a ton of essay collections work -- including stuff by Dave Eggers.

Last but not least, I absolutely love L.M. Montgomery, and both Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon become writers of some sort... although you might have to read one of the later books in those series to qualify.

message 14: by Jeni (new)

Jeni | 41 comments Manday wrote: "Dude. You guys just totally solved my problem. Thanks :-)

I have been trying to fit The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society into the challenge and couldn't figure it out...."

It will fit under the requirement of 2 authors as well, which is where I have it.