Start by marking “Certain Girls (Cannie Shapiro #2)” as Want to Read:
Certain Girls (Cannie Shapiro #2)

Certain Girls

(Cannie Shapiro #2)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  44,839 ratings  ·  2,831 reviews
Readers fell in love with Cannie Shapiro, the smart, sharp-tongued, bighearted heroine of Good in Bed who found her happy ending after her mother came out of the closet, her father fell out of her life, and her ex-boyfriend started chronicling their ex-sex life in the pages of a national magazine.

Now Cannie's back. After her debut novel - a fictionalized (and h
Published May 1st 2008 by Atria Books (first published April 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Certain Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Certain Girls

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
2,146 books — 4,641 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,659 books — 6,940 voters

More lists with this book...

·  44,839 ratings  ·  2,831 reviews

Alisha Marie
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
First off, let me start off by saying I'm a big Jennifer Weiner fan. Her books are the perfect in-between books. You know, those books that are light and fluffy reads and that are perfect to read in-between serious books? That's what describes Jennifer Weiner's books.

Now, "Certain Girls" is a sequel to Weiner's hit novel "Good in Bed". In my opinion, there are three types of sequels. The first type are those certain sequels that are great. They are even better than the original novel
Tammy
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was very excited to finally read the sequel to Jennifer Weiner's best-selling novel Good in Bed. Weiner writes fantastic stories that are both funny and heart-wrenching. (Not sure you've heard of her? In Her Shoes is another highly popular Weiner novel.) Good in Bed is the story of feisty Cannie Shapiro and her journey through weight issues, boyfriend problems, father/daughter issues, dealing with her lesbian mother and single parenting.

Certain Girls is the story of Cannie Shapiro, more than a dozen years lat
Naomi
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I procured an advanced reader copy of this title in a couple of days, being so excited for the sequel to one of my favorite books ever. Cannie is a great heroine and I couldn't wait to revisit her 13 years after the birth of her daughter, Joy.

While initially I was a bit disappointed, "Certain Girls" is a fast read, and anyone looking for a continuing story of Cannie, Joy, Peter and the rest won't be sorry. While I don't want to give up any spoilers, I sobbed like crazy through my las
Rebecca
Dec 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters everywhere, anyone with a heart
Linda
Mar 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
I actually did not finish this book. I have been reading it for 5 days now and should be finished with it by now but am only on page 71. It is so slow, that I cant even get excited about reading it.
I will read the last couple of chapters to see how it ends. Even if it is a book that I like, I can read the end and then go back and finish it.

I have read other Jennifer Weiner books and really liked them, but I cant recommend this one.

Okay I tried to read the last few
Eva Mitnick
Aug 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
"Good in Bed" was such a toothsome piece of chick lit that I was very much looking forward to reading more about Cannie. However, Certain Girls is quite pallid by comparison. Much of the earthy energy of the first book is missing, and instead this is an almost mediocre mom-and-teenage-daughter story. I say "almost" because Weiner is an entertaining writer who often throws a surprising insight or a fabulous one-liner into the mix just as things are getting tiresome.

Actually, the fabul
Aoibhínn
The novel Certain Girls continues the story of Cannie Shapiro, who we first met a decade ago in Good In Bed. Cannie is now married to Peter and is the over-protective mother of thirteen-year-old Joy.

The novel is alternatively narrated by Cannie and Joy. I found this confusing because it isn't clear who is narrating the chapter until you get a few paragraphs into it. The plot was predictable but the story was still enjoyable. Although, this book isn't as good as Good In Bed.

I hated the ending. It was extre
Wade WDM
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well...what's to say about this book; it's no different than any other book Jennifer Weiner has written. Fat chick whining about being fat.

The first Jennifer book I read was "In Her Shoes". I read it because I saw the movie adaption because I love the actress who plays the older sister. Being an only child I was totally enthralled by the relationship between the sisters in the book and the grandmother they didn't know. I loved watching how both sisters transformed and became different women. An
Angel
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dear Ms. Weiner,
Actually can I call you Jennifer? How about Jen? See Jen here's the thing... I was really enjoying this book. My daughter just turned 12 and every day I see the increase of the eye roll huff "nothing's wrong. I'm fine." So I was really quite delighted with the first part of the book. Dee-lighted! And well I could identify with so much of it. Which was great.
Then you hit a *bit* of a mid book slump. I don't want to lie- I was a little worried. But sure enough you picke
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Our book club featured this book and when it was selected, I didn't care one way or the other, so went along with it. After reading it though, I HATED it. If you DO read it, don't read the ending. It's lazy and a terrible shame that the author did what she did, the conclusion adds nothing to the story and drags the events out for "dramatic effect." If it were a movie, the audience would say a collective, "oh come on." What I felt was a C- book used an F ending.

To be sure: skip the en
Barbara
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, chick-lit
“Good in Bed” is one of my Top Ten Favorite Books of All Time. It’s funny, it’s all about various relationships and there are even lesbians in it. Over the years, I’ve wondered whatever happened to Cannie Shapiro and Joy?

Well, Cannie turned into a scaredy cat housewife/closet writer and Joy turned into a typical teenager.

“Certain Girls” takes place 13 years after the end of “Good in Bed.” Cannie is married to Dr. K and Joy is in middle school, preparing for her bat mitzvah. We find out in flas
Min
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was excited about this book since it was a return to Cannie Shapiro's world. We met Cannie in Good In Bed, where Cannie (like author Weiner) lives in Philadelphia. This book picked up twelve years after where GiB left off.

Joy is preparing for her bat mitzvah, and Cannie is figuring out how to navigate being a wife, a mother of an adolescent, and a good Jewish mother all at once. The last she needs is for Joy to read the semi-autobiographical book Cannie wrote right after Joy's birth d
Whitney
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I, of course, loved this book because I think I would love anything Jennifer Weiner writes. I am a little surprised that people disliked the book because of the overwhelmingly sad occurance at the end of the book. Did you all think Good in Bed was light hearted and breezy? Because, compared to this, I would say it was much less fantasy. The reason her books touch so many of us profoundly is because she writes about things that many of us endure, but aren't necessarily socially acceptable to disc ...more
Ellenjsmellen
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Got this from the library and really enjoyed it. It's where Cannie Shapiro from Good in Bed left off plus another 12 years later. Mother/daughter story told from each point of view in alternating chapters. Break out your tissues towards the end.
Carol Brill
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite Jennifer Weiner book so far. So many likable, well-rounded characters. Jennifer Weiner has a gift for using wit in a way that deepens and reveals a character's sensitive side. The bittersweet ending caught me by surprise. Keep the tissues handy.
Li
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish I could have given this book a higher rating but I found myself extremely frustrated with both Cannie and Joy.
Joy should have been slapped and grounded somewhere around page 25.
Cannie needed someone (Samantha!) to grab her by the shoulders and shake her into reality.
What happened to my strong heroine of "Good in Bed"?
Where did the neurotic, coddling-her-child-too-much, insecure woman of "Certain Girls" come from? We get some answers toward the middle of t
Katherine
Apr 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I have this feeling that I like Jennifer Weiner. Not necessarily her books, but her. And so I keep reading her books, and sort of enjoy them, and am always sort of disappointed. She has promise on which she doesn't completely deliver. Her plots are fairly conventional. I nearly gave up reading this, as I began to find the format (switching chapter between and mother and a really annoying daughter) to be tedious. For some reason I persevered and found that it improved. And yet... still, I apparen ...more
Heather Fineisen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as strong as Good in Bed. Weiner' s strength is creating characters the reader relates to and this book is no different. Told in alternating chapters, the voices are strong and the characters likable.
Melanie Fields
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read Good in Bed and Certain Girls back to back. I loved them both! Cannie’s story made me laugh....ripped my heart out....and then made me laugh again. 💗 I loved everything about it!
Kayla Bowdre
May 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
liz
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-slash-junk
Okay, so Jennifer Weiner's oeuvre is not one that I'm a huge huge fan of, although I do appreciate how she gave lots of women a voice (while also regretting how some people assume her characters speak for all women). So I figured this would be pretty run-of-the-mill chick-lit, and turned out to be oddly disappointed, at least at first, by its emphasis on mother-daughter relationships. But I found myself extremely interested in the characters, especially the mother, so the book turned out to be dece ...more
Grace
May 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009, fiction
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Keris
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I couldn't decide whether to re-read Jennifer Weiner's debut novel, Good in Bed, before reading the long-awaited follow-up, Certain Girls, but in the end I chose not to. I thought I could remember enough about Good in Bed that it wouldn't be necessary and, at the same time, I wanted to see if Certain Girls could stand on its own.

Well, it turns out that I didn't remember Good In Bed as well as I thought, but Certain Girls certainly stands on its own. I think (but, you know, I can't be
bookczuk
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I picked this up for bumma to read while taking her radiation therapy, but even light reading became too much for her. While sorting through her books for her, I found this again and decided to give it a go. It continues the story of full woman sized Cannie, whom I met in Good in Bed. Interesting examination of women on the cusp of milestones: motherhood, bat mitzpha, job changes etc. It had some moments that were very hard to me to read in my current situation with my own mom (who is dying from can ...more
Erika
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Carrie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
ok this was going to be a three until the last section made it a four...i wish the first 2/3 had been dramatically shorter and the last dramatically longer!

chick lit crossed with a YA novel. you get the mothers perspective and the teenage daughters perspective. the unending descriptions of ridiculous bar mitzvahs was super annoying along with the CONSTANT self deprecation from the mother...we get it...youre fat and you think youre ugly...dont tell us about it again!
Marie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The twist at the end ruined it entirely for me. This wasn't what I signed up for, and now I am just deeply sad.
The Belle
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that you just know are going to be difficult to read, and Certain Girls was one of those books for me.

I flew through Jennifer Weiner’s Good In Bed two months before I picked this one up, laughing and crying in equal parts along with the main character, Cannie Shapiro; an overweight writer who has to deal with picking up the pieces of her life after her ex-boyfriend decides to go on the record with a major magazine about “how it is to be in a sexual relationship w
Susie Stock hulen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Started with Good in Bed and Finished the second book yesterday, Certain Girls. Both books were funny, entertaining and emotional. Easy reads, light hearted and couldn’t stop listening. Highly recommend!!
Another good one! 2 37 Jan 10, 2017 07:44AM
Should I read this? 2 8 Feb 10, 2016 08:47AM
Win a Free Signed Copy of Certain Girls! 1 19 Apr 12, 2009 12:24PM

• Dirty Girls on Top (Dirty Girls, #2)
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Promises to Keep
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • The Opposite of Me
  • Sweet Love
  • Make Him Look Good
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (Heather Wells, #2)
  • The Opposite of Love
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Hit Reply
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • Conversations With the Fat Girl
  • Pretty in Plaid
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of sixteen books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and, most recently, Mrs. Everything. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.

Cannie Shapiro (2 books)
  • Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)
“The truth is, what I learned this year is that life is hard...Good people die for no reason. Little kids get sick. The people that are supposed to love you end up leaving.” 38 likes
“Maybe it was inertia -or worse, fear- that was keeping me in the same place.” 22 likes