Historical Fictionistas discussion

Historical Fiction Discussions > HELP!! What's That Book Again??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 213 (213 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3687 comments Mod
Post here if you can't remember the name of a book and want help... Can't guarantee it, but it's a start!

You can also try the "What's the Name of that Book???" group on Goodreads or www.Abesbooks.com/booksleuths.

Good luck!!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks Becky - I'll be first. About 5 or so years ago I was on vacation and a lady at the pool was reading this book. Like an idiot, I didn't write the name or author down. Anyway, it was a book about the first Europeans to go to Asia/China. The main character was the captain of a trading ship, and was supposedly based on some actual historical person. The only other thing I know about it was that it had a square rigger ship in the middle of the sea on the cover.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have, and thanks Becky for the suggestions above. I didn't know that Goodreads had a What's the name of the book group.

message 3: by Frances (new)

Frances | 9 comments James Clavell maybe? I think Shogun had a ship on the cover, don't remember Taipan's cover--does either ring a bell?

message 4: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:55PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks Frances, but no - I read Shogun and plan on reading Tai Pan for the challenge. But I think the book was about the guy that Shogun was patterned after. William someone? But the main character in this one was not fictional, although the book was.

message 5: by Danielle (last edited Jul 05, 2010 05:43PM) (new)

Danielle | 172 comments Lyn M wrote: "Thanks Frances, but no - I read Shogun and plan on reading Tai Pan for the challenge. But I think the book was about the guy that Shogun was patterned after. William someone? But the main charac..."

Not sure if you are still searching for the book or not. The person you are speaking of is William Adams and he was believed to be the first European explorer to enter Japan. The book you are thinking of (at least I think) is Samurai William.Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened Japan

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Ok, here's a book I've been trying to remember for ages after reading it once. It's a sort of HF/fantasy: two boys and a girl in ancient Egypt, trained as some sort of sorcerers. They find out they have special gifts when they pool their powers. Both boys are in love with the girl, and there is this power struggle that goes down through the various ages all the way to the modern day, where one of the men is telling his story to a psychologist named Anne. And you learn at the end that he has a reason for telling her.

Help, this is driving me nuts.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Gee, Kate, that's a tough one. Can't help you I'm afraid.
How old do you think this book is?

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments No clue. I can remember absolutely nothing useful about this book, only details.

message 9: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (amerigo) | 179 comments Kate wrote: "Ok, here's a book I've been trying to remember for ages after reading it once. It's a sort of HF/fantasy: two boys and a girl in ancient Egypt, trained as some sort of sorcerers. They find out th..."

Kate, is this it? The Alchemist by Donna Boyd.

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri I'd bet my left leg that that is the book Kate is looking for.
Mystery solved I'd say. :-)

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Yep thats pretty much it.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Yes! That's it. Thank you; that's been bugging me for literally months. Interesting book - I didn't entirely like it, but it had some interesting ideas.

message 13: by Sam (last edited Jul 08, 2010 02:39PM) (new)

Sam toer (samtoer) | 14 comments Just started Julian by Gore Vidal, a historical novel about Julian the Apostate, one of the brightest lights in the history of the Roman Empire. He was a military genious and a philosopher who became embroiled in a fierce intellectual war with Christianity that provoked his murder at the age of thirty two. The novel captures the religous and political ferment of the time.

message 14: by Sam (new)

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments I love "Julian." There aren't many books about late Imperial Rome, but that is one and it's a showstopper. I love the book's frame - two Roman philosophers sniping back and forth as they read Julian's autobiography.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -37 comments I read a book from the library years ago before I started keeping track of my reading. This is one of a few that I've not been able to track down. It's a set of short stories that track eventually to South Africa in Apartheid times. Starts with a brief bit about an old lady and then the first story is about a child in S Africa. Each story has a character a little older than the last. Until at the end you find that all of the characters are the SAME person. This was such a surprise to me as the stories didn't seem at all connected taking place in S African prison and Oxford University in England etc. I have looked at Nadine Gordimer's works because I'm certain (at least of 1 thing!) that the author is a female. Can anyone help? If this one gets solved I'll come up with one more book that haunts me.

message 17: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Lori- do any of these look familiar to you>
http://www.bibliotravel.com/locale.ph...

message 18: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I have a book I've been dying to remember for years. I've had a thread up for it in the What's the Name of that Book group for awhile now, but maybe I'll get some help here.

Ok, I read this book back between 1997-2000, but I'm pretty sure it was published way before that, my guess would be in the 70's or 80's, but I could be wrong. It was a library book, a big thick hardback, 600pgs or more, and I think it had an ivory or white cover with purple and gold letters, maybe with a medieval-art style illustration of a person or people. But again, my memory is awful, so not 100% sure of that. I know it took place in the medieval times, probably pre-1600, maybe even in the 12-1300's. It took place maybe in England or France, Normandy maybe. The main character was a young girl, possibly named Elizabeth, and she was being betrothed to a prince, it had been arranged by the families. She was really young, only a child. I remember she had an uncle who was pervy, I sort of recall a scene where he was doing something to her, but I don't remember enough details. Anyway, so she goes off to marry the prince, who I think had dark hair, and he's kind of young too, only a teenager. I don't think they get along very well at first. I also think his mother and maybe some siblings live in the castle with him. I do recall a scene where the girl went to the prince's chambers and found him in the midst of an orgy, specifically with another guy. I'm pretty sure they eventually consummated their marriage, and maybe even had a child, but not sure. I think the title may have had the word prince in it, for the longest time I was thinking it was called The November Prince or something similar to that, but tons of searching turns up nothing, and my library doesn't have records going back that far so they were no help to me. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, it's much appreciated :)

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri Sorry, Kit, I can honestly say I have never read a book that sounds anything like that. :-)

message 20: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Sounds interesting, but I have no idea

message 21: by Maya (new)

Maya | 4 comments I was just thinking today about how it's making me nuts that I can't remember the titles or author of two books I liked!

By the same author:

Book #1 was set, I think, in late 19th century or early 20th century in California, two sisters have arrived and one marries a landowner and the other acts sort of like a companion, not expecting to marry herself due to misshapen spine. The married sister has a son who grows up to be an entitled, obnoxious oaf, the single sister begins a relationship with the Chinese servant who works for them in some capacity I don't remember, more babies ensue, can't remember the end. I was a big family saga thing.

Book #2 was set in San Francisco in the early 20th century with a heroine called Hallie who is an early female reporter. A recurring theme in the book is the mother's premature drowning death (followed by father's suicide) and how this affected the surviving family. There is all kinds of interesting stuff about prohibition, police corruption, the art scene, abortion debate, a real life boxer, and social class division.

Any ideas, fictionistas?

message 22: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 57 comments I've never heard or don't remember either one. But the second one sounds great if you do find out the what book it is. :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2968 comments Okay, I am looking for a Fantasy genre book. It's called Garden of the Moon. I don't know the author. I got the recommendation from someone to read it. It is a chunky read over in the 700+ pages range almost like 1000. I checked Goodreads for the title and there was one by that title in the Fantasy genre but it was only like 130 pages so that couldn't be right. The book is also part of a series. Anyone has any ideas?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Okay, I am looking for a Fantasy genre book. It's called Garden of the Moon. I don't know the author. I got the recommendation from someone to read it. It is a chunky read over in the 700+ pages ra..."

I think you're looking for Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Editions are from 600-700 pages and it's the first in his Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Really really great work.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2968 comments thanks, I thought maybe I wasn't spelling it right.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2968 comments The most popular version has 666 pages. Hmmm, I wonder what that means for the fate of the characters.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "The most popular version has 666 pages. Hmmm, I wonder what that means for the fate of the characters."

Hah, that's awesome. And doesn't bode well for them lol

message 28: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 537 comments I had 666 books on my TBR shelf a while ago and had to quickly add one so it wouldn't be that number....

message 29: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
LOL!

message 30: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 57 comments JenC, you are funny, but I would have done it too. :)

message 31: by April (new)

April | 191 comments Anyone know the name??? Still no reply on "What's the name of the Book" group

What I remember of the story; the daughter gets ready to wed her father and really wants to produse a child so she wont be sent to the "farm" where the old and unfavored wives live.

One scene that has stuck with me is when Moses' family returns then 8 yr old Moses to the pharoh's daughter and the daughter feeling guilt over taking the child from his mother but needing that child to keep and love because she is no longer in Ramses' favor.

message 32: by April (last edited Jul 27, 2011 01:04PM) (new)

April | 191 comments JenC. wrote: "I had 666 books on my TBR shelf a while ago and had to quickly add one so it wouldn't be that number...."

I had 666 books in all so I added some to read, but I really should not have tried as hard as I did because now I have 206 to read books.

message 33: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Doherty | 14 comments What's that book, hist fic, telling of Hannibal's life and hatred of Rome. There were really harrowing scenes at the start when the aristocracy of Carthage are lined up in front of the walls of the city and executed by unpaid mercenaries...?

Cheers!

message 34: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 57 comments April, are you talking about the book The Handmaid's Tale ?

message 35: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 53 comments Maya wrote: "I was just thinking today about how it's making me nuts that I can't remember the titles or author of two books I liked!

By the same author:

Book #1 was set, I think, in late 19th century or earl..."

Book #1 is definitely Hers the Kingdom by Shirley Streshinsky by Shirley Streshinsky - one of my favorites.

message 36: by April (new)

April | 191 comments Karendenice wrote: "April, are you talking about the book The Handmaid's Tale ?"

No, but thank you. Handmaid's Tale is scary future where they recreate Abraham fathering children from slaves of Sarah.

The book I'm looking for was HF in the voice of Ramses' daughter (don't remember her name but feel it would really help find the book). She finds Moses in the basket after a few weeks as Ramses' wife. Then fosters Moses to his mother until his 8th bday. All that happens to Moses is told through her, Ramses' daughter/wife as as old woman who is ready to tell the whole story.

message 37: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 57 comments April, when you do find out the name of it please let us know. It's sounds like something that I'd really enjoy.

message 38: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitcris2) About a year and a half ago I read a book about a mining town. Some of the characters in the book were a Marilyn Monroe type who had come from a small town and was now a movie star and a big-time boxer who started out small. The two had an on again off again relationship. The narrator was one of the friends of the Marilyn Monroe woman. I can't remember the name of the book and it's driving me nuts!

message 39: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 10 comments Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I believe she sold tapestries. I really liked that book and it's evocation of life in the Middle Ages. But I can't remember the title or author--it's been driving me crazy for years! Can anyone help?

message 40: by Joel (last edited Sep 06, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

Joel | 3 comments Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I believe she so..."

Was it The First Vial by Linnea Heinrichs?

message 41: by Joel (last edited Sep 06, 2011 03:24PM) (new)

Joel | 3 comments April wrote: "Anyone know the name??? Still no reply on "What's the name of the Book" group

What I remember of the story; the daughter gets ready to wed her father and really wants to produse a child so she w..."

Just an idea but what about Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank?

Or, not as likely,

Uarda : a Romance of Ancient Egypt Complete by Georg Ebers?

message 42: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 10 comments Joel wrote: "Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I be..."

No, that 's not it--but it's sounds like something I might enjoy reading. Thanks!

message 43: by April (last edited Sep 07, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

April | 191 comments Joel wrote: "April wrote: "Anyone know the name??? Still no reply on "What's the name of the Book" group

What I remember of the story; the daughter gets ready to wed her father and really wants to produse a ..."

No they are not it, but thank you.

I'm beginning to think I made it up, but I've never created something like this before.

message 44: by BookWoman (new)

BookWoman | 1 comments Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I believe she so..."

Could it have been A Vision of Light: A Margaret of Ashbury Novel (Margaret of Ashbury Trilogy) by Judith Merkle Riley?

A Vision of Light

message 45: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 10 comments BookWoman wrote: "Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I be..."
BookWoman--thanks, but it's not this book. The book I'm thinking of was definitely set in Flanders or Belgium. This Margaret of Ashbury trilogy sounds interesting, though.

message 46: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 53 comments Trying to locate title of a paperback I read probably in the late 70s or 80s. Historical fiction about a young woman buttonmaker - think it was 18thc. She does piecework buttons made with thread or wire over a form IIRC. She is either transported to or emigrates to Canada where she becomes successful. It was fascinating in the detail about the button-makers trade and I always wanted to read it again.

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda G. BookWoman wrote: "Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position in her town--I be..."

The closest I can come up with is Figures in Silk, by Vanora Bennett, a novel set in medieval London. It's based on the true story of a woman who became very prominent in the silk trade during the time of Edward IV. I believe she had dealings with Belgium or Flanders. She was also the sister of Jane Shore, mistress of Edward IV. An excellent book!

message 48: by Linda (new)

Linda G. I hope someone can help me....the other day a book on display in the New Books section at the library caught my eye, and I referenced it for future reading and THOUGHT I'd remember the title. Silly me. Now I can't remember the title, but it has the word Sin or Sins in it. It is set in 17th-century Mexico and the cover picture is of a woman in a red dress. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!

message 49: by Joe (new)

Joe Whitney | 10 comments Linda wrote: "BookWoman wrote: "Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prominent position..."

Thanks. Linda, but that is still not the book. I sometimes think I must have dreamed it!

message 50: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments Joe wrote: "Linda wrote: "BookWoman wrote: "Joe wrote: "Several years ago a read a historical novel set in The Middle Ages, about a Belgian or Flemish woman who became a successful merchant and rose to a prom..."

Could it be one of Dorothy Dunnett's The House of Niccolo books? The House of Niccolo is an 8 novel series about a 15th century Flemish merchant and banking dynasty.

Niccolo Rising

« previous 1 3 4 5