Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

What are you sewing right now? > Quilting Update

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
Whew! It's been a while since anyone said anything about quilting and reading.

I have to tell you I love my quilting studio. I spend hours and hours down here, not all of them sewing, but it is just so peaceful!

I finished all of the pieces I started at camp/retreat. So, that means I finished the Oriental that's not Oriental piece, the Jungle Fever, and the star one. I took the Oriental one to the LQS so have it professionally quilted since I'm pretty sure it needs some sweeping curves and I don't do sweeping curves. I also too a John Flynn Wheel of Mystery, or is it Mystery Wheel, since it, too, needs curves.

I made a baby quilt for the new daughter of the gal who did her student teaching with me. It's all ready to give to her, and Charlie is only 5 months old! LOL! I called Val last week to see if we could meet for lunch only to learn that their shop had burned down the night before. They didn't lose anything like clothes or furniture, but they did lose 2 cars and one of those one-man jack things that you use to get you high in the air when you're painting walls or building buildings. It had just been delivered that day.

Lately I've been working on a Wheels in Motion quilt for a former colleague. It's a wedding present. The wedding was 2 years ago. Oops! I know better than to just follow directions, but that's exactly what I did. I made the half-square triangles the way it said to in the book. About a third of them too small, so I'm frogging the seams and I'll re-sew them. I was thinking this morning, though, that I have enough fabric - maybe I'll just re-make them with Thangles. I have a CD that you can choose any size HST you need and print it out. I think it might take less time than what I'm doing now. I guess it will depend on how many of the 216 I have to rip apart!

As for books, I want to thank whoever recommended Bread Alone! What a wonderful story! I'm not finished with it, but last night I couldn't sleep, so I got up to read. Unfortunately, the book didn't make me sleepy. I finally went back to bed around 2. Had a tough time getting up this morning!

Now I'm going to frog for a while. :-)

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I've completed the top of a single Irish chain lap quilt in Kaufman Asian prints , but still need to put the layers together and quilt it. Meanwhile I've finally decided to use some gorgeous blue fabric with a tiny white figure on it that I've been hoarding for years, with a pale cream-colored fabric of tone-on-tone roses. My plan is to do a simple Shoo-Fly repeating block, but reverse the colors in every other block, no sashing.

My goal is to make several quick (Hahaha!)-and-easy lap quilts so my stepsons will quit dragging blankets out of the linen closet to snuggle under when they watch TV. I actually already have several but they are folded up along the tops of the sofas and the cats are always sleeping on them. One doesn't like to disturb a sleeping cat.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got my sewing room put back together after the new carpet was installed. I started working on my postage stamp trip around the world again. Its great and coming together so nice. I am doing it one piece at a time in an assembly line. I can not wait for it to be done. I have been working on it since last October. Only 14 more rows to go and its finished 70 X 70. I told my daughter that when she gets into college she can take it with her for her bed. That was to be insentive for her to get into a school of higher learning (like she has a choice). I am pretty sure I can quit that one myself. I got the backing anf batting for a throw that I made my mother and I need to baste it and put it on the machine. It turned out really great with the pattern for the quilt it looks like flames are coming right at you. I know she will love it. I need to get it done for her soon but an so close to finishing the trip that I can not stop that right now if I wanted to. I have a lone star throw that I started at a retreat that I want to finish too. And there is always the timeless treasures quilt with 168 blocks of 4 patches in 4 patches in 4 patches that I am making from clearance fabric I found at Connecting Threads.

As far as books I am reading Jade Island by Elizabeth Lowell its number 2 in a series. And listening to Playing Dirty by Samdra Brown while in the sewing room. Ah the joys of books on audio.

Thanks
Jennifer

message 4: by Judy (new)

I wonder if there is any way to share pictures on this site. I would love to see your Shoo-Fly, Mary, and your Trip Around the World, Jennifer! Well, I'd like to see the Irish Chain, too, but the colors of the Shoo-Fly intrigue me. As for the Trip, I cannot imagine working on one of those. Are the pieces 1" square?

As for me, I'm still trying to square up the half-square triangles. I have a whole bunch that I have to remake if I have enough fabric, or take out the stitching and re-stitch if I don't. I told Jaci that this will teach me to read all the way through the directions before I start cutting. I could have done the HST so much faster and easier if I'd known that's what the squares were being used for! LOL! Oh, well, live and learn, I guess!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy,
The postage stamp is 1-1/2 cut and 1" finished. I did a three inch one from Traditions with a trist and won an award for it for Best Use Of Color at a local quilt show this past spring. I never thought I would win anything. Was just hoping for honorable mention but there is was the first day of the show with the award pined to it.

I am sorry to hear about the HST I have learned that one the hard way too, trying to make a Birds in the Air quilt that I ended up chucking in the round file. SO one day when all these are done I will try again. Let me know how you make out with that. I have fudged enough seams in my day to understand. My favorite ruller is a strip cuter that you can cut every 1/2" by June Taylor. Found at Joanne Fabrics and Eleanor Burns has one on the Quilt in a Day sight with her name. Its great for continuous accuracy.

Jennifer

message 6: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 19, 2010 05:48PM) (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) I make lots of samples for the quilt store where I work parttime. Right now I am in an apple phase. I live in Wenatchee WA and we say we are the apple capital of the world, so if a pattern has an apple on it I scoop it up. I just finished an apple wall quilt that was made from a Debbie Mumm pattern in 1986! When I get it back from the quilter I thought I'd send her a picture of her old pattern made out of new fabrics.

I'm also making Kim Schaefer's Calendar Quilts. I've got October and November done and want to get December done in the next couple of weeks.

We do the Thimbleberries club at our quilt store and I make the sample. So, in the next couple of weeks I'll be making the 2011 club sample. Fun, fun, fun!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Jennifer, I'm so sorry I didn't reply to your message before now. Gee, I'm only over a year behind! At any rate, the quilt I made with the HST turned out nice. I gave it to my friend as a wedding gift and she really liked it. I have learned to read all the way through the directions, now though!

How did your Trip Around the World turn out?

Kathryn, you have way too much energy for me! LOL!

message 8: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 15, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) I just finished making the store sample of the 2011 Thimbleberries Border Blast Quilt in the Southern Skies version. It turned out beautiful. It's 112" x 96". I'll get to keep it once it's done hanging up in the shop.
http://www.theatticwindowquiltshoppe....

Today I am going to make a book bag to carry my book to book club in. The pattern is Bible/Book Tote published by QuiltWoman.com. http://quiltwoman.com/search.aspx?fin...

I even have the exact same fabric as the picute on the front of the pattern! Scary....

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I finished A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn this morning on audiobook while finishing my table topper. This goes in depth of the racial tensions in South Africa. This book was the Edgar Award winner in 2010 for best novel. I am now listening to The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier while I hand sew down the binding on the table topper.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Guess what I just found - a place to show off pictures of our projects. At the top of the page on the right had side select photos. There are some wonderful pictures from Becky and I've added my Thimbleberries quilt. This is great, now we can actually see what we are working on!

message 11: by Judy (new)

Cool! I'll post a picture of the quilt I made for Glenn for Christmas.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I posted of the quilt I helped make for Stephenie Meyer that I talked about in my intro.

I'd love to post more pics because that will mean more finishes.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Shannon, is that the quilt that has black and white in the center block? Now it makes sense to me. Nice!

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Shannon and Judy great quitls. Judy is yours flannel? Shannon, having the imagination to envision a story is a quilt is awesome. I am the traditional quilter, I love to look at patterns until one speaks to me and then the fun process of finding the fabric.

Keep posting pictures!

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynncycle) | 27 comments Kathryn the Thinbleberries Border blast is beautiful. If it is a store sample, do you get to keep it when they are finished?

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Lynn wrote: "Kathryn the Thinbleberries Border blast is beautiful. If it is a store sample, do you get to keep it when they are finished?"

I do. She pays for the kit, I make the quilt and have it quilted, which I pay for and after she is done showing it in the shop, I get to keep it. It's a wonderful opportunity for me....I was priviledged enough to have the same opportunity last year.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Kathryn wrote: " Judy is yours flannel?"

No, it's not. The center with the silhouettes of the animals is a panel, though. It was really easy and fast to make.