Start by marking “The Virgin Blue” as Want to Read:
The Virgin Blue

The Virgin Blue

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  27,375 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews
Meet Ella Turner and Isabelle du Moulin—two women born centuries apart, yet bound by a fateful family legacy. When Ella and her husband move to a small town in France, Ella hopes to brush up on her French, qualify to practice as a midwife, and start a family of her own. Village life turns out to be less idyllic than she expected, however, and a peculiar dream of the color ...more
Published June 24th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin Blue, please sign up.
Maria McArdle No. It is a lovely, well written story of great emotional depth ideally suited for readers with some life experience from their mid to late teens…moreNo. It is a lovely, well written story of great emotional depth ideally suited for readers with some life experience from their mid to late teens upwards. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  27,375 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews

Antof9
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2005-read
So this book started off strong -- very strong. The story of the 1500 Isabelle was very interesting, although could have been developed a little more, I think. I actually had a hard time putting the book down in the first three quarters or more. However, by the end, I was pretty much tired of it. Tired, because it was so odd and unbelievable, and I'd really stopped caring for Ella, the modern-day main character.

I loved the idea of what was happening -- the same land, same family, a modern day ve
Michelle Smith
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was incredibly disappointed in this book. I had read Girl With a Pearl Earring and been very impressed, so I picked up this one expecting something as good. Well, maybe not AS good, since The Virgin Blue was her first book and I was prepared to give her some wriggle room for growth and learning and so on.

Let me say that I think the book's premise is very strong, and I really loved the 'flashbacks' to Isabella. In my opinion, these segments were strong and interesting and well-written.

Where the
Xeyra
Apr 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Apparently, this was Tracy Chevalier's first novel, quite different from most of her other ones. I have read two other novels by this author, "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and "The Lady and the Unicorn", and have enjoyed both very much. This author has a style that appeals to me, simple and straightfoward but with a beauty of its own in the way she captures the characters that compose her stories.

Although I liked "The Virgin Blue", reading it in two days, I ended up fairly confused as to what had
Anne
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in historical stories centering around women
Recommended to Anne by: My mother
Shelves: heart-wrenching
I picked it up and a day and a half later, I set it down. At first, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but 20 pages in and I was completely hooked.

Since I haven't read anything else by Tracy Chevallier, I wasn't sure I would enjoy her writing. I was happy to discover she has a natural knack for character development, I found her to be a very honest author, unafraid to describe what "we" are really feeling inside. Exposing the vulnerability of human nature with her intertwining storie
Cat Tutt
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This book gets a pretty easy 4.5 stars from me. I'm a sucker for a good historical fiction with a female character researching her connection to her family's past, which is the basic sum of the plot. That said, this book had a lot going for it aside from my natural affinity for the plot line.

I will admit that a lot of my historical fiction reading has been by certain authors and set in certain areas, which may make the book more novel to me than to a more widely read historical fiction
Suzette
Feb 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Definitely not as good as Girl with a Pearl Earring. I was really enjoying the first two-thirds of the book, but I didn't like the direction it took after that. There are two parallel stories happening and the modern one is less believable than the one that takes places four hundred years ago. I liked the character Isabelle from the 1500's much better than Ella from modern day. I'll still read more by Chevalier. She has a nice style of writing that totally sucks me in.
Alicia
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Surprisingly, this was somewhat a book about a mystery, but it did get me thinking quite a bit, particularly about memories and how they are stored in the brain. Because one of the two main characters "develops" memories from her distant relative (distant being 400ish years ago), I started to wonder about memories and if we will ever figure out a way to "harvest" and save memories to be viewed when "host" is no longer with us. It seems crazy, but maybe at one time, it seemed crazy to think we co ...more
Haydee
Nov 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Okay, maybe 1.5 stars is more fair. Anyway, this book annoyed the heck out of me! This is my third Chevalier novel(also read "Girl w/ a Pearl Earring" and "The Lady and the Unicorn) and enjoyed the first two--this is her first novel and I think it shows.
There are 2 main characters in this book--both women, but living centuries apart. Ella, the present-day character, is an American ex-pat living in France with her husband, and Isabelle is her distant ancestor living in France during the time of
Liz Wright
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Having never read Chevalier’s work I was very pleased with this novel, which is her first. The interesting thing to me was that the story took place at two different times in history but in the same geographic area. The first chapter introduces us to Isabelle, a girl who lives in France in the 1600s during a religious upheaval. Isabelle is seen as odd by her town because of her red hair, which was uncommon at the time. In chapter two we meet Ella, an American who has moved to France with her hus ...more
Chana
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book in a lot of ways, but the sense of inevitability, that feeling of descending tragedy that cannot be averted, was so strong and, of course, correct. We were looking at events that had already occurred and those could not be changed. But when we were experiencing them in a present tense I really wished that Isabelle could have found a way out of the life and tragedies that were here destiny, especially for Marie. I was just sick about it. Also found myself in favor of Jean ...more
Stacy
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Tracy Chevalier is a very frustrating author for me. I liked the first one I read (The Lady and the Unicorn), I adored the second one I read (Falling Angels) and was disappointed with the third (The Girl in the Pearl Earrings). This is the 4th, and once again, disappointed. The thing that disappoints me most is that the subject material is so rich, I can see how the book could be so good. I know nothing about the Huguenots in France and would love to read more. I love history, I love genealogy a ...more
Cami
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book about two women, centuries apart, linked through blood and circumstances.
Ella Turner moves to France with her husband Rick for his job. She has nothing to do with her days (she was a midwife in the U.S., but cannot yet practice in France) and begins researching her family history.
In nearly every other chapter we read of Isabella, who lived 400 years earlier. She is beginning her adult life with a marriage and child on the way. Forced to give up her beliefs in t
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from my housemate because I had thoroughly enjoyed "Girl With the Pearl Earring" years ago. The Virgin Blue is so different from 'Girl' and yet still a great read. I was fascinated with the redhead history (being one myself) and had never heard of Mary as a redhead before! The whole redhead as witch thing is pretty common and always makes me kind of smile...although I guess I hadn't realized it had pushed so far south (it is an old but common belief in northern and eastern Europe ...more
Susan
Before penning her bestselling novel Girl with a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier wrote The Virgin Blue, the mesmerizing story of two women living in France 400 years apart. Let me just say that I loved, loved, LOVED this novel! I couldn't bear to put it down and so I read it practically straight through in a matter of hours.

Chevalier's description of the people and towns of France both in present day and in the past are amazingly full of life and incredibly beautiful. It was impossible not to fal
Tasha
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-reads
Unfortunatley, not a favorite of mine from this author. I usually really enjoy reading her books but this one, while it started out strong, just came together too quickly at the end and I was left very confused. It was also a bit heavy on the romance for my tastes. The early storyline was interesting and I enjoyed learning about French history but the second storyline was not engaging and felt a bit too false, it didn't really ring true for me.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
This kinda of has a stereotypical romance novel feel to it- married women meets French man, and they have an affair and that sort of thing. But there is another story besides this one that is really interesting, about her ancestor during medieval times. It follows her as she gets married and raises a family, and the issues she must deal with in her community and home during a time where social rules were changing under religious turmoil. I enjoyed it.
Melanie
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the split narrative (two female narrators, one in the 16th century, the other in the present day), but I wanted more closure than the ending ultimately provided. I'm tired of concluding in a state of liminal possibility.
Steve Shilstone
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This first in a long line of novels by an extraordinarily inventive and resourceful storyteller visits France of now and 400 years ago.
Sun
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
"The Virgin Blue" is two stories in one. Or possibly two sides of the same story.

In one story, set in modern day, American Ella Turner is a midwife studying for re-licensing after relocating with her husband to France. She investigates her ancestral roots for something to do and becomes intrigued in both her family history and the local librarian, Jean-Paul.

The other story is that of Isabelle du Moulin, a French Protestant woman who marries into the Tournier family and who escapes persecution
Lydia Presley
Several things were covered in this historical/modern day novel. Part of the story was of Isabelle, a 15th century woman who was "cursed" with having red hair - the same color of hair as the Virgin Mary was portrayed as having. The time period was about the time when the Huguenots were being chased out of France into Sweden. The other part of the story is about Ella, a modern day woman who is researching the mystery behind her family ancestry after a move to France.

In essence, this is partly a h
Angela
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this novel. The overlapping stories are fascinating, exciting, and propel a sense of reality that sometimes other fiction can not accomplish. I believe that Tracy Chevalier is a talented writer (story teller) because of her characters, subjects, and environments, in which she places those characters. After watching a short video with her being interviewed about her newest book, "Remarkable Creatures," I realize how her creative mind works and what inspires her. She is very attenti ...more
Diane
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it
I like Tracy Chevalier's writing. Her books, Girl with a Pearl Earring and Falling Angels were terrific. This book was good and I did finish it, but it fell short compared to her others.

I enjoyed the story of Isabelle du Moulin more so than Ella Turner's story. Isabelle is a tragic heroine and I wanted to learn more about her and her situation. Ella's story, while less tragic certainly, entertained me but did not grasp me. I felt distant from her somehow. I think she created her own problems an
Pamela Mclaren
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two women face life-changing challenges in Tracy Chevalier's "The Virgin Blue."

Isabelle, whose hair changes color to auburn, the supposed color of the Virgin Mary's hair, becomes La Rouse during the time of the Reformation and watches as her community turns away from the Virgin's veneration. All the family's beliefs are challenged, especially as Isabelle's sister and then her mother die. Her brothers leave to fight in a war, never to return. She tells her father that she will marry and she and
Casey
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the jumping back and forth in time from current to the 1500s. I enjoyed the historical aspect of the early Protestant French. I loved the main female character featured in the 1500s. I didn't really like Ella, the main female character in the current time.
Amy
Dec 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book, which I believe Tracy Chevalier wrote before Girl With a Pearl Earring, reminded me an awful lot of The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve. It uses the same concept of alternating a historical plot with present day events, and both modern heroines are facing similar issues.

The modern story follows Ella, a woman with French ancestry who moves to France because of her husband's work. They decide to live in a small French town and Ella gets involved with a local librarian while researching
Karen
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
I respect Chevalier's concept for her books -- taking a famous painting and imagining an entire story around it. Now, after a while, I think this concept might get a bit formulaic and redundant. In this book, I can see that she is actively trying to avoid just such a situation. Rather than imagining how the portrait came to be, as in "Girl with a Pearl Earring", Chevalier instead concentrates solely on the girl in the portrait and tries to imagine her life. The pacing of the book was a bit faste ...more
Cecily
May 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Alternating chapters tell the stories of two women, one the distant ancestor of the other, with strange parallels in their lives, exposed as the modern women investigates her ancestry.

The modern story does not ring as true - especially the rapidity with which friendships and extended hospitality occur.

American spelling and (in the old story) use of dashed instead of speech marks was distracting, and oddly, there were several sentences that just didn't make sense, even on rereading.

Sara
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed The Virgin Blue. It's not as good as Girl with a Pearl Earring, but still good enough to recommend. The story alternates between the 16th and 20th centuries and the lives of two women who are distantly related. I thought the story of Isabelle living in the 16th century was actually more believable than Ella in the 20th. As always, stories that showcase devotion to the Virgin intrigue me.
Rosiemae Burton
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Too descriptive, not enough plot, unlikeable, whiney charcters. Not my cup of tea
Kelly
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book, and the ending was not disappointing at all- except for those I can imagine have little imagination and did not really pay attention to the plot. Tracy Chevalier has completely astonished and moved me with her writing once again.

For those of you who appreciated/liked the ending and would like to read my take on it- please read below. Didn't understand the ending? I think my analysis has some interesting points.

JUST KNOW THAT THIS ANALYSIS OF THE ENDING HAS SPOILERS.

S
Play Book Tag: The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier - 4 stars 2 17 Oct 03, 2018 11:10AM
Unanswered questions- virgin blue 11 357 Aug 28, 2017 05:20PM
Play Book Tag: The Virgin Blue - Tracy Chevalier - 5 stars 3 25 Oct 18, 2016 06:01PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Virgin Blue 1 18 Jan 22, 2015 10:14AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Virgin Blue 1 2 Apr 27, 2014 07:32AM

• The Forest Lover
  • Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Golden Tulip
  • Portrait of an Unknown Woman
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • In the Company of the Courtesan
  • The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3)
  • Holy Fools
  • I Am Madame X
  • Catherwood
  • The Priest's Madonna
  • The Huntress (The Dark Queen Saga, #4)
  • The Empress Of Ice Cream
  • I, Mona Lisa
  • Divining Women
  • The King's Favorite
  • Stealing Athena
Born:
19 October 1962 in Washington, DC. Youngest of 3 children. Father was a photographer for The Washington Post.

Childhood:
Nerdy. Spent a lot of time lying on my bed reading. Favorite authors back then: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madeleine L’Engle, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Joan Aiken, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander. Book I would have taken to a desert island: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

Educa