EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Catch-22 (Catch-22, #1)
This topic is about Catch-22
CLASSICS READS > Catch-22 - Pre-Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 753 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the July 2019 Classics group read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

*Spoilers are not allowed!* Please see the SPOILERS thread for the spoiler discussion.

Who plans to join this read? Will it be your first time or a reread? What's drawing you to this book?

Betsy | 306 comments Mod
My dad (and many other people) always said "that's a catch-22" and I never knew where it came from. Recently we were talking and he said to me he's got to read the book where this most commonly used phrase comes from. So, in his stead, and honour, I'll be giving this classic a go.

Edmund (edaini) | 85 comments Betsy wrote: "My dad (and many other people) always said "that's a catch-22" and I never knew where it came from. Recently we were talking and he said to me he's got to read the book where this most commonly use..."

Same! I keep hearing it, so I can't wait to learn what the phrase is all about.

message 4: by Lensey (new) - added it

Lensey | 54 comments Ok, so I'm to chapter 4 and just cannot get into this book!! Is anyone else having that difficulty?? Obviously, I'm going to continue trudging along, but I'm just wondering if I'm the only one struggling...

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 330 comments I loved this book, but it is a little post-modern in style.

Jennifer | 7 comments Edmund wrote: "Betsy wrote: "My dad (and many other people) always said "that's a catch-22" and I never knew where it came from. Recently we were talking and he said to me he's got to read the book where this mos..."

Betsy and Edmund this is such a great reason to read many of the old books. This light bulb moment happened for me with Catch 22 and later when I read 1984.

Unlike aPril, I didn’t enjoy the book when I read it. It’s a odd one. But I continue to think about it. I’ve learned that can happen for me with books. I guess immediate enjoyment and long term appreciation are different.

message 7: by Tori (new) - added it

Tori | 428 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: I didn’t enjoy the book when I read it. It’s a odd one. But I continue to think about it. I’ve learned that can happen for me with books. I guess immediate enjoyment and long term appreciation are different. "

I know exactly what you mean! The Sun Also Rises was that way for me. I didn't enjoy reading it, but I think about it often. It is so interesting books can have that effect on us!

message 8: by Tori (new) - added it

Tori | 428 comments Mod
I'm only about 50 pages in, but I am struggling with this. I really enjoy atmospheric/world building books. So far this has not only been character driven, but also is very much so dialogue driven. It is unique, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

I'm also having a hard time because while I think the jokes are funny, it is hard to read this as a light comedy when the setting is so serious and upsetting.

♛Primadonna♛ (lavenderbird22) | 3 comments I watched the Hulu Miniseries and now I really wanna read the book! It seems, from the reviews from my friends, that you either love it or hate it. I really hope I'm in the former category!

message 10: by Storm (new) - added it

Storm | 56 comments I am pausing this book and may come back later. My free time to read is limited right now, and this just isn't holding my attention. I'd rather focus on books I find more interesting and read this later when I have time to enjoy it.

message 11: by Betsy (new) - rated it 1 star

Betsy | 306 comments Mod
I have to agree with Tori and Storm at the moment: it's not holding my attention, or at least, I'm finding it difficult to stay focused.

Jennifer, what you said is really important and helped me understand a bit about why I'm finding this a difficult read.

message 12: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 9 comments I found getting into the book quite difficult but I watched a few episodes of the new Channel 4 adaptation with George Clooney and it helped me organise the timeline and who was who and now I’m enjoying the book a whole lot more.
Don’t worry I didn’t watch all the series so I don’t know the ending so happy to keep reading.

message 13: by Betsy (last edited Jul 17, 2019 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Betsy | 306 comments Mod
I wonder if watching it will help me get in the mood - or will just tilt me over the edge of abandoning the book with glee. Thanks for the idea Rose :)

Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough (kmcripn) | 26 comments Just stumbled across a BBC World Service podcast on the subject:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cs...

Only 9 minutes long

Description
Joseph Heller's funny, tragic satirical anti-war novel was published in 1961 and sold millions. For many it epitomised the growing anti-establishment mood of the 1960s. Heller had served in a bomber squadron during World War Two. Though his experiences provide the setting for the book, its target was actually the America of the 1950s. Using interviews with the author from the BBC archive, Alex Last tells the story behind Catch-22.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Catch-22 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joseph Heller (other topics)