Old Books, New Readers discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
BOTM Nominations & Polls > May 2019 BOTM "Rebecca" FINAL RATING and comments

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Jun 05, 2019 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 83 comments Mod
If you read this novel with us this month (or have read it in the past), please comment below and rate it out of 5 stars, explaining why.

I also encourage you to rate the book when you move it from 'currently reading' to 'read' in your bookshelf.

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 83 comments Mod
4/5 stars - I rate books using the following philosophy. If I like a book, I'll give it minimum of 3 stars. If I'd be willing to reread it one more time years in the future, then I'll give it 4 stars. I only give 5 stars when I recommend the books to all my book-loving friends, when I would happily read it several more times, and when it is one of the top/favorite books I've read in the last few years.

This was my second read and I wouldn't mind reading it one more time at some point in the future.

Bonnie (bonniebee10) | 1 comments Sylvia wrote: "4/5 stars - I rate books using the following philosophy. If I like a book, I'll give it minimum of 3 stars. If I'd be willing to reread it one more time years in the future, then I'll give it 4 sta..."

I love that system! I use a variation of it myself, just never thought about it so succinctly. Thanks! I read Rebecca years ago and would definitely reread it. A solid 4 for me.

twice_baked✌️ (changedlanes) | 34 comments Mod
Five stars for the stellar plot (and twist!), the amazing characters, and overall eeriness! I appreciate that it's creepy and dark without any gore, blood, or inappropriateness. Definitely a book your mom wouldn't have any problem with if she found it on your shelf 😂😂

I might, if GR offered a half star, rate it 4.5 stars since I've always been disappointed that (view spoiler) but the writing is so good I'm always drawn back to it. Loved reading this w everyone! 😊

Henry (HankC) | 2 comments Five stars without question.

message 6: by Jazzy (last edited Jun 05, 2019 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 63 comments Five stars. What a foolish, young, and idealised girl! What a formidable femme fatale! What secrets does the master have and why does he so easily fly into a rage? Ah, this is the stuff film noir is made of. Hitch, you've done us proud with your interpretation of this du Maurier.

Michelle (mich2689) | 191 comments I read this book before and I rated it 5 stars. Here is an excerpt from my review.

Du Maurier did a great job describing how far the thoughts of a young insecure woman can take her. There were some other interesting and unlikeable characters. The atmosphere was wonderfully creepy and dark, and the plot was engrossing.

~☆~Autumn♥♥ I also give this book 5 stars. I have read it a few times and plan to read it again in the future as there are few books this good. I also love other books by Daphne du Maurier.

message 9: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace | 10 comments 5 Stars. I loved the writing, the gothic atmosphere, the plot and subplots, and the characters. It all created a most moving read. I'm looking forward to reading My Cousin Rachel soon.

~☆~Autumn♥♥ Candace wrote: "5 Stars. I loved the writing, the gothic atmosphere, the plot and subplots, and the characters. It all created a most moving read. I'm looking forward to reading My Cousin Rachel soon."

My Cousin Rachel is amazing!

Candace wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading My Cousin Rachel soon."

Yes! Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :D

Kelly ... Five stars. I count this one among my favorite books. The characters are rich and each is uniqe. The gothic feel is tangible. The first sentences and last sentences mirror each other beautifully enclosing the story in mystery.

Susan | 1 comments One of my absolute favorites! The atmosphere and suspense were palpable. 5 out of 5.

message 14: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Walsh (TEEW) | 40 comments Hi this is TomW and this is my first time to read this novel. I think her style is outstanding and very scholarly . I was very impressed by her sentences and most impressed by her character descriptions. I see a lot of “Jane Eyre” in this book , but I think the author has taken those ideas to a modern setting, and the pieces seem to fit. Thank you for the recommendation! I’m now a Du Maurier fan! Five stars!

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1 comments 3/5 I just had a hard time getting into the book and the characters.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Hammer | 31 comments 4/5 stars. I hesitate to rate Rebecca five stars for Maxwell's confession to her. I understand perhaps for the time it was quite fitting, however, it has always bothered me that Rebecca didn't bat an eye. Aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and could easily relate to the character's. Although, I would not classify Rebecca as a "romance" it is, in its own right, a love story for the ages.

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 63 comments Chris wrote: "4/5 stars. I hesitate to rate Rebecca five stars for Maxwell's confession to her. I understand perhaps for the time it was quite fitting, however, it has always bothered me that Rebecca didn't bat ..."

I don't think it's a love story. These people are dangerous and more than dysfunctional. I've never seen any love or romance in it, just terror for that stupid girl! ahah

I actually appreciate that we're not all giving it 5 stars - otherwise I'd feel like it was just an echo chamber of du Maurier fans. It's so nice that this group has differing opinions, makes things much more interesting imo!

message 19: by Judy (last edited Jun 08, 2019 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy (Jude555) | 9 comments I have read Rebecca multiple times and it is definitely a five star read for me. I think I enjoyed it more as a young adult than I do now at 63. What is still remarkable to me is that I read it so many times and didn't realize that the heroine of the book was never named. My favorite book by du Maurier is not Rebecca, however. I love The Scapegoat more, even though it is based on a trite premise.

Alona | 2 comments Rebecca was a 4/5 for me, perhaps because the twist was one I had predicted quite early on so I was eager to get to it, and felt that some parts were a bit too slow-paced. With that being said, I wish the part after the twist would last a bit longer just so we could see how the relationship between Max and the nameless narrator evolved.

I loved the writing and how deeply engrossed in the scenery it made me. Can't wait to read more of Daphne du Maurier's novles!

Connie Paradowski | 19 comments I was not part of this read but by coincidence also read it in May. I am very stingy with 5 star ratings but this was definitely a strong 4. Loved the feel of the story and how she made you care about even unlikable characters. My copy included 3 separate novels and I will definitely be reading the other two.

message 22: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy (Jude555) | 9 comments I am curious. What are the other two novels? I have read My Cousin Rachel and The Scapegoat and enjoyed both. I really likef The Scapegoat. My sister loved Frenchman's Creek but I couldn't get into it. Thanks.

I really liked My Cousin Rachel, and it's pretty short, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was included, but I'm curious too 😛

Connie Paradowski | 19 comments Jamaica Inn and Frenchmen's Creek

Connie Paradowski | 19 comments oops just realized the last post was not very clear. those were the two other stories with Rebecca. it was an old book picked up at book sale

You'll have to tell us what you think of them (or at least tell me) bc I've never read them and I'm always on the lookout for books like Rebecca, plus the titles sound promising!