Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Amazon.com Rant: Why Is Amazon Omitting Interracial Romance/BWWM Romance/Black Romance From Discussions In Related Communities?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6601 comments Mod
Maybe, I am exaggerating, but I have noticed this for a long time, but haven't said anything. I've noticed that when you go to the Romance Community and scroll down to the box that reads: Discussions in Related Communities, you will not see posts in the Interracial Romance Forum/BWWM Romance Forum or even African American Romance Form, but if you go to any of those forums and scroll down, you will see the box, Discussions In Related Communities and you will see Romance, Historical, etc.

Should I contact Amazon and ask them why or let it go?

I've noticed that Interracial Romance and African American Romance discussions aren't really wanted on the Romance Community. I'm not racist, but I do feel that some people feel that only white romance is suppose to be discussed on the Romance Community. I've started a thread asking for African American romance recommendations and I was told to go the the African American forum to get recommendations. I know that every woman that visits the Romance Community isn't white and that some black women read African American romance.

I tend to see things. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I think you're right, Arch. I think I've noticed the same thing. You should contact amazon about it. I know that paranormal shows up on the romance forum at the bottom.

message 3: by Arch , Mod (new)

I've emailed them. I will post what they reply to me.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments I have never noticed this..I don't check out Amazon's forums
well once I checked out Twilight stuff

message 5: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 24, 2009 05:40PM) (new)

I go on amazon every once in a while, but a lot of the people don't like me over there. Let me just say, I don't bow down for anyone. I like to converse with people, but if they don't want to converse with me. Then I am dusting my hands off and walking away.

message 6: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Go get them Arch. :O

message 7: by Arch , Mod (new)

Loni wrote: "Go get them Arch. :O"

LOL, Loni! Go get who?

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments So there is a forum but nobody posts in it?
I am confused now

message 9: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 24, 2009 06:04PM) (new)

Here's my email to Amazon:

To: Amazon.com Customer Service
Subject:Feedback for Customer Communities and Tags

Comments:

I have a question about the Discussion In Related Communities Box:

Why isn't the Interracial Romance, BWWM Romance and African American Romance listed in this box? I've noticed that the following communities are listed in the box: Historical romance, erotic romance, paranormal romance, mystery and fantasy.

I've noticed that when I visit the IR Romance Forum, BWWM Romance and African American Romance Forum and scroll down to the Discussions In Related Communities, I see the other communities listed.

As a black woman, I think that the communities in question, should be listed as well.

Thank you

message 10: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Arch wrote: "Loni wrote: "Go get them Arch. :O"

LOL, Loni! Go get who?"

The crew at Amazon. I've never understood why some people think it's so taboo to discuss race in romantic fiction.

I once sent a white author an email telling her how much I enjoyed her books and asked if she would ever have a black secondary character in her stories. She suggested a black author and told me to contact her. I was quite surprised by that response and never read another book that she has written.

message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

Here's Amazon reply to me.

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am very sorry that you were upset to see that the BWWM Romance and African American Romance discussion communities were not included in the Related forums dropdown menu.

I'll be sure your feedback is passed on to the right people in our company. This kind of feedback is invaluable to us, as it helps us continue to improve our website and provide better service to all of our customers.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

message 12: by Arch , Mod (new)

They thought that I was upset. I wasn't upset. I was only asking a question.

They need to fix the discussions in related communities.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Sharon wrote: "So there is a forum but nobody posts in it?
I am confused now"

Sharon, no.

If you go to the Romance Community on Amazon and scroll down, you will see a box: Discussions In Related Communities. The box shows topic being discussed in the Historical Romance Forum, Erotic Romance Forum, etc., but it doesn't show topics being discussed in The African American Forum, BWWM Romance Forum or even Interracial Romance Forum and I don't think that's fair.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 24, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

Loni wrote: "Arch wrote: "Loni wrote: "Go get them Arch. :O"

LOL, Loni! Go get who?"

The crew at Amazon. I've never understood why some people think it's so taboo to discuss race in romantic fiction.

..."

I don't know why a lot of white authors are afraid to add color to their books. Some black authors are the same way. They don't have any white people in their books.

What gets me, is a lot of people will not read about a certain race, because they feel they can't relate. Yet, they can read about vampires, werewolves, etc. No one can tell me they can relate to a vampire, etc.

I read a lot of white romance. No, I don't have blond hair and blue eyes, but does that mean that I can't relate to being a woman?

Knowing me, I probably would have emailed the author back and asked her if she knew the black author and if she has ever read any of the black author's books. I would also ask her if she was offended that a black woman has read her book.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments So the Interracial Romance Community is different?

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

Sharon wrote: "So the Interracial Romance Community is different?"

There's a Interracial Romance Community and BWWM Romance Forum. People talk interracial BWWM relationship on both. I guess that the BWWM forum was created, because a lot of women only read BWWM interracial book and feel that it's a better place to discuss the books.

The Interracial Romance Forum to my knowledge, is a place to discuss any combination of interracial romance.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

Thanks for your reply Michelle.

You said:

"On the writing side: I can see how a white author might be nervous about writing a main character of another race because, let's face it, there does exist a potential for reader backlash -- especially if readers feel the character isn't accurately portrayed in vernacular, physical descriptions, etc."

A lot of black authors write about white people. Wouldn't the black author be facing the same thing as the white author?

I think that Ms. Garwood has done a great job in writing Adam Clayborne, Mama Rose and Adam's wife. I think her name is Genevie (sp?) or something like that.

I think that Suzanne has done a great job with Alyssa, Noah and Jazz.

I write about white heroes and I am about to soon start a story about an Asian hero.

As a writer, I feel that some writers can write about any race and make the people come alive. They can be so good that their race can be omitted.

I haven't read any of your books Michelle, but I am sure yo have made your white heroes come alive.

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

Please post the thread Michelle.

message 19: by Arch , Mod (new)

Thanks Michelle.

message 20: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments It's not that I expect an author to make the hero/heroine a particular ethnicity, my issue is when authors seem to work on the premise that the world is all one color and never represent diversity in their secondary characters. Look at the ones who create complex worlds in a series (particularly paranormal). How can anyone introduce dozens of characters book after book in a series and never have any diversity at all? I'll read them, but I start to lose interest when I realize after a few stories that it will never change.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Loni wrote: "Arch wrote: "Loni wrote: "Go get them Arch. :O"

LOL, Loni! Go get who?"

Loni do you mind saying which author that was?

..."

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Loni wrote: "It's not that I expect an author to make the hero/heroine a particular ethnicity, my issue is when authors seem to work on the premise that the world is all one color and never represent diversity ..."

I couldn't agree with you more, Loni. Realistically speaking, unless it's a very small, isolated community, that world doesn't exist.

message 23: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Danielle wrote: "Loni wrote: "Arch wrote: "Loni wrote: "Go get them Arch. :O"

LOL, Loni! Go get who?"

The crew at Amazon. I've never understood why some people think it's so taboo to discuss race in romantic ..."

It was Jayne Ann Krentz. She also writes as Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle.

message 24: by Arch , Mod (new)

Loni wrote: "It was Jayne Ann Krentz. She also writes as Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle."

For real? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but she doesn't write anymore, right?

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I was scared it was one of my favorites. Even so, I'm sorry for the letdown, Loni. Maybe she feels she cannot do a Black character justice. It's her loss. Loss of a fan and stories untold that could reach people.

message 26: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I like the dialogue here, I'm nodding with a lot of the points here. Nothing to add, just I so agree.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I like it here also. Love this group in fact. Group Hug!!!

message 28: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Huggs!!! It's an awesome group. :-D

message 29: by Arch , Mod (new)

I love this group.

Hugs are nice.

Hugs bring two people together. Even a bunch of people together.

I have to say that I love talking to all of you. You guys are a great relaxation.

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Ah, I can feel the love!

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Ohhh any hugs left?
I'll trade a scone for a hug.....

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Scratch that..I want my scone!!

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments dreamwild1985 wrote: "LMAO! keep your stinkin' scone, i'll give you a hug for free *hugs*"

Mayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)
Thanks for the hug, that is so sweet of you :)

Hey!! come back with my scone!!!

message 34: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hugs are always free.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sharon wrote: "Scratch that..I want my scone!!"

You can have the hug for free, Sharon.

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Danielle wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Scratch that..I want my scone!!"

You can have the hug for free, Sharon."

I know :)

message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

If someone want to jump in an instant message for 20 minutes let me know. I wouldn't mind chatting, before I go back to doing some reading for about an hour. Then take a break, before Eve comes on.

message 38: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Arch wrote: "If someone want to jump in an instant message for 20 minutes let me know. I wouldn't mind chatting, before I go back to doing some reading for about an hour. Then take a break, before Eve comes on."

I am going to bed right now...we should try for a Friday night or something
I would be up for that

message 39: by Arch , Mod (new)

Okay, Friday night 10 central time?

message 40: by Arch , Mod (new)

If everyone has Windows Live (MSN Instant Messenger) and we chat in there. Don't be surprise to see my icon. It's a bag of Peanut Mr. and Mrs. b.k.a Peanut M&M or should I say, M&M Peanut.

I love Sam and we both are M&M lovers.

message 41: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

LOL Sharon and Maya.

I love M&M Peanut. It's fun to eat the chocolate off the peanut first.:-D

message 42: by Arch , Mod (new)

Rae wrote: "LOL Sharon and Maya.

I love M&M Peanut. It's fun to eat the chocolate off the peanut first.:-D"

I agree Rae, but sometimes, I eat the whole thing.

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I won't even allow myself to buy peanut M&Ms. They are like Oreos. Forget about self-control.

message 44: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'm a chocoholic. I haven't had Mr and Mrs in a while and don't get me started about Oreos. Double Stuff are very good. I'm haven't had them in a while as well.

message 45: by Arch , Mod (new)

Oreos takes good with milk.

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yeah it does seem like crack or something in the sandwich part. I don't mind the filling but I love the wafer. Yum. I might have to go grab another two or three Oreos. :)

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I don't even need milk, but I love cookies and cream ice cream.

message 48: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle wrote: "I don't even need milk, but I love cookies and cream ice cream."

I don't need milk either, but every once in a while, I like my oreo to dive into a glass of milk.

message 49: by Arch , Mod (new)

Cookie and Cream ice cream is good. I like that kind as well as Butter Pecan. Now, I'll eat Napolean ice cream too.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Your ice cream taste is very similar to my sister. She loves Butter Pecan and Neopolitan (the Blue Bell kind with Homemade Vanilla and Strawberry and Dutch Chocolate).

« previous 1