What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED - One Day by David Nicholls - novel follows two characters who meet one day, go their separate ways, meet again after many many years [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carrboree (new)

carrboree | 9 comments I just read about this book in a recommended reads feature on an inflight magazine but completely forgot to write down the book's name! I thought I would remember the author's name, but no luck there either.

The book is a recent publication, most probably a romance fiction. All I remember from the blurb was that the book focuses on a male and a female character who meet when they're young (not sure if they have a relationship at that time), but then they go their separate ways. The novel chronicles their separate and independent lives, and all along the events in their life lead them to meet each other again, this time to stay together.

The author is someone who already has a number of successful books under his belt (maybe he's a British author?) For some reason I was convinced it was Nick Hornby, but it's not. From the book review, it sounded like it was a GOOD read, not some foofy forgettable chick lit.

I've already emailed the airline with this weird question and I'd be surprised if they answered it.

message 2: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments What airline?

message 3: by carrboree (new)

carrboree | 9 comments an international airline, and they don't have their inflight magazine available online.

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Oddly enough, the name of the airline might help!

Slam, by Nick Hornby, does have an orange cover. It's about a boy whose girlfriend gets pregnant, and he gets a glimpse into the could-be future, depending on the choices he makes.

He's also got an upcoming release called Juliet, Naked:

Annie loves Duncan-or thinks she does. Duncan loves Annie, but then, all of a sudden, he doesn't. Duncan really loves Tucker Crowe, a reclusive Dylanish singer-songwriter who stopped making music ten years ago. Annie stops loving Duncan, and starts getting her own life.In doing so, she initiates an e-mail correspondence with Tucker, and a connection is forged between two lonely people who are looking for more out of what they've got. Tucker's been languishing (and he's unnervingly aware of it), living in rural Pennsylvania with what he sees as his one hope for redemption amid a life of emotional and artistic ruin-his young son, Jackson. But then there's also the new material he's about to release to the world: an acoustic, stripped-down version of his greatest album, Juliet-entitled, Juliet, Naked.What happens when a washed-up musician looks for another chance? And miles away, a restless, childless woman looks for a change? Juliet, Naked is a powerfully engrossing, humblingly humorous novel about music, love, loneliness, and the struggle to live up to one's promise.

Both of which you probably already found...

Maybe the author was described as Nick Hornby-esque, and that's why his name stuck...I shall keep looking!

message 5: by carrboree (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

carrboree | 9 comments Well if it is of any help, it was Etihad Airways. They haven't replied to my email yet :(

And no the book is not Slam. I did look at all of Nick Hornby's works since I thought this book was written by him, but none of his works even remotely resemble the plot of the book I read about.

Thank you though!

message 6: by bup (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

bup | 84 comments Well, it is tough finding much about it online, you're right.

Here, at least, is an e-mail address to the magazine itself, which is published by ITP: etihadcontact@itp.com

message 7: by carrboree (new)

carrboree | 9 comments Thank you bup! I'm sending them an email right now.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
hey--make sure you let us know what the name of the book is--it DOES sound interesting

message 9: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments How about:

One Day
David Nicholls

Emma Morley and Dexter Meyhew, meet properly for the first time on the 15th July 1988, the night of their graduation from University.

We meet them again, on the same day each year for the next twenty years.

Each chapter of the book, covers Emma and Dexter’s lives on that day, following their lives, loves and tribulations, and more importantly their enduring friendship.

You see, Emma and Dexter have one of those friendships, that is so strong and deep it is often to the detriment of others in their lives.

In fact, maybe the should just get together and be done with it?

message 10: by carrboree (new)

carrboree | 9 comments YES MICHELLE thank you! That's the one!

Wow some of my details were way off - there were definitely no shoes on the cover! And while there was some orange, it was not the background. I apologize. Anyway, this is definitely the one!

THANK YOU! How long did you have to look for it, and how did you end up finding it? :)

message 11: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Holy shit! Get out!

Ha ha!

I came home this evening and typed something like 2009, new paperback, separate, meet again...I dunno, something like that. This one came up in UK reviews and I thought hmmmn...and the cover is orange and it DOES sound Nick Hornby-ish...

Whoo hoo! :)

message 12: by carrboree (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:56PM) (new)

carrboree | 9 comments Haha you're pretty awesome! The only downside is the book doesn't seem to be available from online US bookstores at a reasonable price for a used copy. My campus library doesn't have a copy either. Well at least I know what the book is now and can add it to my to-read-list :)

That magazine review of the book mentioned Nicholls' other works, including Starter for Ten, and I've watched the movie based on that novel (I highly recommend it, especially for those partial to James McAvoy). I recall making it a point to remember that One Day was written by the author of Starter of Ten and I assumed that would help me remember, but as you can see, I completely drew a blank there.

and that's where folks like you come in :) thank you :D

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments You're very welcome. It's a bitch though that now we find it and you can't pop off and buy it!

Random House seems to have picked up his other titles in the US. Maybe they'll do the same for this when it comes time for a paperback release. The hardcover only just came out in June in the UK.

Good luck! And I hope you enjoy it once you DO get your hands on it!

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica This is an amazing book. It is definitely worth investing in a new copy if you can't get it any other way, it's one of the funniest, loveliest books I've read all year.