A Wheel Of Time Read Along discussion

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
This topic is about The Great Hunt
The Great Hunt - Book #2 > tGH Week 4 - Chapters 40 - 50

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason (darkfiction) | 145 comments Mod
This week we finish the second book. We’re storming through this!

We get to learn more of the Seanchan and the ending to this book is one of my favourites so far.

Sunil | 22 comments My favourite bits:
-Mat becoming the hero of the horn
-Rand's fight with the blademaster and him embracing the void
-Rand sheathing the sword
-Nynaeve showing some power when the Seanchan try to capture her

Chick Bookstop (chickbookstop) | 11 comments A great ending for sure! I kind of hate that Min is obsessed with Rand though. That was a downside for me.

Daniel Ruiz | 5 comments Favorites of the ending:
-Rand embracing his role and the void is great.
-Rand's fight with the blade master really revealed how much he had learned from Lan
-Mat blowing the horn the sudden appearance of heroes

Kane Taylor (kano84) An excellent book and I really, really enjoyed it. It felt different from the first for sure. A lot of people say that the series picks up after the first, but I think I loved both equally. I'm really looking forward to moving on to book 3 and the rest of the series (although I am apprehensive about the so-called middle slump).

I found the aspect of the Seanchan and the Damane the most interesting. To me, it was like nothing else I have read before and I thought the characters were really interesting. The terror felt by the character that had the collar placed on her towards the end (I forget her name) was both satisfying and horrifying at the same time. The absolute fear she felt at having the tables turned against her was exceptionally well written and detailed.

Clearly the horn being used and the heroes showing up was excellent too. I didn't really understand why Rand was seen in the clouds above fighting, but perhaps that will get clarified in the future books. Either way, an excellent book and a series that I am very much looking forward to pushing on with.

I have previously read the first 3.5 books, but it was so long ago that I only remember slight bits and pieces, so I am essentially going in blind again.

Jennifer (thebookishginger) | 14 comments Mod
I really enjoyed the end of this book. I feel like after the slow start to the book, the end just flew by. I'm really enjoying seeing all the characters grow and embrace their roles.

Jennifer (thebookishginger) | 14 comments Mod
Chick wrote: "A great ending for sure! I kind of hate that Min is obsessed with Rand though. That was a downside for me."

Yeah, I honestly don't get why she is because she really barely knows him. Like she met him for a very short amount of time and yeah.. I don't know.

Chick Bookstop (chickbookstop) | 11 comments Jennifer wrote: "Chick wrote: "A great ending for sure! I kind of hate that Min is obsessed with Rand though. That was a downside for me."

Yeah, I honestly don't get why she is because she really barely knows him...."

Maybe we'll get some more info on that later on but it feels very contrived. This is my first time reading the series so I'm sure lots of things won't make sense until later on.

Sunil | 22 comments Jennifer wrote: "Chick wrote: "A great ending for sure! I kind of hate that Min is obsessed with Rand though. That was a downside for me."

I thought this was due to Rand's 'ta'veren' nature. She is being pulled towards Rand. Several times other charachters have told Min that should go back to her village but she complains about being forced down a path.

message 10: by Misha (last edited May 02, 2019 11:19AM) (new)

Misha Veen | 11 comments Sunil wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Chick wrote: "A great ending for sure! I kind of hate that Min is obsessed with Rand though. That was a downside for me."

I thought this was due to Rand's 'ta'veren' nature. She i..."

It's both Rand's ta'veren nature, as well as Min's own visions. She saw that she would fall in love with Rand, and because she knows from experience her visions always come true, she finds she can't avoid constantly thinking about how she's going to fall in love to this boy she met for a day or two. Which, ultimately, leads to her falling in love with said boy.

If it feels contrived, that's because it's supposed to. Min falling in love with Rand was quite literally forced upon her by the Pattern.

And the Pattern, in case you hadn't figured it out yet, is Robert Jordan's authorial will. What makes Jordan better than other authors who do similar things is that Jordan had the brilliant idea to make plot contrivances and other authorial decisions of his into quite possibly the most central and omnipresent element of his World Building, essentially providing himself with a "get out of jail free" card for such things. Or, perhaps more accurately: a whole deck of "get out of jail free" cards.
And for those who think that's lazy writing (whom I know exist), consider this: he did have to come up with the "get out of jail free" deck of cards first before he could use it/them, and not many authors could have come up with such a brilliant and easily visualizable device to use for the purpose.

Sunil | 22 comments Misha I never thought about it like that but it makes so much sense!

Very well said, Misha!

Serial Bibliophile (serial-bibliophile) | 16 comments On Chapter 47; And FREAKING MAT JUST BLEW THE HORN OF VALERE!!! MAT??? What... Wait, gotta go! Brb

I really didn’t see that coming when I first read it. 😂

Serial Bibliophile (serial-bibliophile) | 16 comments Freaking Mat... 😂 He would too!
But OMG I just finished and I loved the ending! I’m so glad all is out in the open now. Hopefully now coconut head Rand will stop his senseless denial and ‘embrace the dragon within’. 😉

My favorite quote from the book: “I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” 🤩👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🙌🏻

message 16: by Lynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn Silsby | 12 comments Mat's so impulsive!
He's become a lot more relatable :)

message 17: by Nate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nate | 1 comments I know I'm behind, but I am just finished this book and will be moving on to the third.

I think I definitely enjoyed this book more than the Eye of the World. The pacing, and ending, was much better. Very much looking forward to the Dragon Reborn

Awesome, Nate! I enjoyed this one more than EotW too. I especially enjoyed the battle at the end. I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on Dragon Reborn.

Hoang (hoangh98) | 35 comments Burn her, Liandrin!!!

Hoang (hoangh98) | 35 comments Book 2 is amazing. Hurin and Loial are my favourite characters in this book. Poor Thom, that chapter, which Thom found Dena, was brutal and unexpected. Sigh, that Ingstar's twist was a gut punch.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Hoang wrote: "Book 2 is amazing. Hurin and Loial are my favourite characters in this book. Poor Thom, that chapter, which Thom found Dena, was brutal and unexpected. Sigh, that Ingstar's twist was a gut punch."

Yes why can't Thom just be happy and live his life? He always has to suffer. So sad.