Start by marking “The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)

The Great Hunt

(The Wheel of Time #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  197,201 ratings  ·  3,933 reviews
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages.

And it is stolen.
Mass Market Paperback, 705 pages
Published October 15th 1991 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Hunt, please sign up.
Hélio Parente I would highly suggest that you start by the first one, the stories are directly linked and you might not understand everything in the second or grasp…moreI would highly suggest that you start by the first one, the stories are directly linked and you might not understand everything in the second or grasp the full dimension of things :)(less)

·  197,201 ratings  ·  3,933 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I say this all of the time, but reading old school fantasy books is like reading with a friend. And they remind me of when I was young. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm old school.

Happy Reading!

Mel ❤
Petrik
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

The man who called himself Petrik will now review The Great Hunt, the second book in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Everyone who’ve read the first book most likely knows what the title of this installment implies. The Great Hunt continues immediately from where the first book left off. Allow me to mention how ridiculously repetitive—and hilarious, I guess—the prologue of this book was. It starts with “The man who called himself Bors,” and within a single prologue, the exact
Nimrod Daniel
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Eye of The world has some problems, but this book totally nailed it! The Great Hunt is significantly better in almost every aspect. Book 1 had serious pacing issues and is somewhat generic as it reminded me LoTR in a few ways. It was ok and very average, but not much more than that. It showed some potential, especially toward the ending, but I expected much more from it. Not true true for book 2, though, as Jordan solved a few problems and upped his game. Big Time.

The writing style is just a
Dana Ilie
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
There is so much going on in this book, we get to see a few familiar faces when some of the minor characters from the first book make unexpected reappearances but we also have a lot of new people to meet, some you'll immediately love and others will make you much more wary. It's hard to know who to trust and there are definitely lots of side plots and foreshadowing going on that I think will make more sense on a reread (and I can pretty much guarantee I'll be rereading this series again in the f ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/1/16: Day 1 of WoT #2 buddy (re)read in BB&B !

We're only reading one book per month, so if you want to jump in, you've got plenty of time to squeeze in The Eye of the World and still participate.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank y
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This was no where near as good as the first novel in the series; it completely lacked the initial plot driver that its predecessor wielded. Previously, the innocent, and young, protagonists were taken away from their homes as they were forced to flee for their lives. I wanted to find out exactly why this was going on; thus, I stormed through it. Instead, this premise of this book is Rand attempting to escape from his destiny, which, of course, is pure folly because one does not escape fate: one ...more
Em Lost In Books
While reading Eye of the World, I kept seeing it’s similarities with LoTR but this book simply outshine its predecessor in every way. While first book was a drag in the middle chapters, this one has no such issue and that made it a better reading experience.

This book picks up from where Eye of the World has ended. Horn of Valere has been stolen and it is crucial to get it back before it fell into evil hands and dead heroes could be called back from the graves. So Rand, who is too eager to leave
Markus
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
“And it shall come to pass that what man made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide...
Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gna
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Loved this one even more than the first book in the series! The world-building is so rich and vast, and the characters are very compelling. This book was so good, I was almost grateful for my hospital time, since it gave me more time to read! (See, there's always a silver lining!)

Also, as of this book, Nynaeve has officially surpassed Moiraine as my favorite Wheel of Time character!

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Liam Degnan
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn"

A Full Five Stars: ✰✰✰✰✰.

This book really did it for me. In The Eye of the World, Jordan spends a lot of time laying foundations for the characters, and for the plot as a whole, which made for a very slow experience that required a lot of patience. The worldbuilding and character development, while still very good, was done at an extremely g
Robin (Bridge Four)
If you’ve read a few reviews by me you might know that I’m a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. This is one reason that 2016 is the year of the Wheel for me since Sanderson finished out this series. As I move along in this series I can see how BS got some of his roots from Jordan. They distinctively have different voices to be sure but one of the reasons I’m enjoying The Wheel of Time series is because of the intricate world building that is going on and the layers that are being set up.

This book i
Argona
What a book! What an amazing journey! Such an epic ending!*Takes calming breaths* I loved this book even more than the first one in the series!

“The Great hunt” begins exactly where “The Eye of the World” left off. So much happens in this second book! I was locked in suspense for the entirety of this novel, especially at the end.

New forces with monstrous creatures and terrible weapons emerge out of seemingly nowhere and shake the foundation of nations.

New threats are added to the old ones. The Da
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This picked up right after the end happenings of The Eye of the World. Rand and his group of friends have found the legendary Horn of Valere. Unfortunately it is quickly stolen by Darkfriends. It must be found before the Last Battle with the Dark One!

The story started a little slow but definitely got more and more engaging as it progressed. Rand, Mat, and Perrin were on the quest for the Horn and I thought their journey was an interesting one. Egwene and Nynaeve started the Aes Sadai training a
Celeste
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve tried, I really have. I just don’t think that Jordan’s Wheel of Time series is for me. I want desperately to read it in its entirety and love it, but I’m roughly 1500 pages in and it’s already a struggle. The sad thing is, the plot and the world building are actually very interesting, as is the magic system and the mysteries it holds. But I just can’t seem to get past the characters. The way women view men, even while fighting over them, is so insanely irritating. The main perspective chara ...more
Connor
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
This is such a step up from the first. I feel like quite a lot of plot lines started moving in this, and I’m pumped to see where things start going. This seemed a bit like a filler where we learn a lot more about the world, but not a huge amount happens for the length of the novel. Regardless, I was engaged throughout it and am excited to continue now.
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the series, some people complain there are some influences of J.R.R. Tolkien in the first book; this book is where Robert Jordan found his own voice.

For the first time in centuries The Great Hunt is called; its purpose is to find the legendary Horn of Valere which calls the greatest heroes of all times to the battle yet again. Countless number of people wander around looking for it. Rand and company know exactly where the Horn is, but they might have trouble reaching it. It d
Ahmad Sharabiani
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2), Robert Jordan
The Great Hunt is a fantasy novel by American author Robert Jordan, the second book of The Wheel of Time series. It was published by Tor Books and released on November 15, 1990. The Great Hunt consists of a prologue and 50 chapters. In 2004 The Great Hunt was re-released as two separate books, The Hunt Begins and New Threads in the Pattern.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش نسخه انگلیسی: شانزدهم ماه ژوئن سال 2018 میلادی
عنوان: شکار بزرگ: کتاب دوم از سری چرخ زمان (
Alex
Jan 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well, if the first book in this series diminished somewhat outside the cozy light of memory, this second book absolutely withers away. The plot is listless, its tension flagging between points that are only interesting by comparison. And the characters refuse to evolve. That is, they are all still hung up on the same issues they had at the beginning of the first book, even though they've been through fairly earth-shattering experiences in the intervening pages. I mean, why is Nynaeve still schem ...more
Edward Lorn
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I almost made it to page 300 before I realized I wasn't enjoying myself, and that the book as a whole was making me angrier and angrier the farther into it I got. I'd started skimming a 10-page chapter and said to myself, Why the fuck are you still reading this? So I'm done. Before I invest another minute into this rambling-ass of a novel, I'm tapping out.

In summation: I don't care about anyone in this book. I gives not a fuck for the story. I can't believe I made it as far as I did because thi
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

I feel great to come back reading 'The Wheel of Time'. I love this book so much Alhamdulillah!

I am hooking in 'The Wheel of Time'. I think it might will take me a long time to complete this series.
Choko
*** 5 ***

This book and this series never Ever disappoints! It is magical, bewitching, enthralling, intricate, thought and emotion inducing, addiction promoting, and all together superior to almost any other series I have ever read... !!!

Yep, this is the reason I can not write a review on any of the books in this series. I get into it and then I turn into an absolute and total fan-girl and only superlatives of wonderfulness jump from my brain... It is not that I think the book is perfect (ooo,
Ashley
Objectively for me (which I realize is a contradictory statement), this is a three star book. It has some major problems. But . . . I just can’t resist the siren call of an immersive fantasy world, and unlike the first book in the series, which failed to capture my imagination, this one did. So I’m giving it the fourth star, for the potential I see in the series, and for giving me that good old fantasy world buzz.

First, the good stuff, the most notable thing being that this book actually felt li
Kaila
The tone of the series really changes with this second installment. It goes from following a few country bumpkins on their first wide-eyed adventure into the world, to what we know and love the Wheel of Time for - a sprawling epic covering an entire continent. From the prologue, we're suddenly bombarded with the styles and personalities of all the diverse regions of the land, and though it will be hammered home so we always know what Jordan is talking about, we're also expected to start remember ...more
Wanda
My second step on the Wheel of Time! The best part about it was that it got me feeling things about these characters. I mean, I wanted to bash heads together with Rand being all stubborn and Mat not helping himself a bit and Perrin not accepting who he has become! And despite that, I realize that these would be hard realizations to come to—they aren’t just country lads anymore. Plus, Nyaneve irritated me every bit as much as I appreciated her.

The echoes of the King Arthur story are strong—Galad
Angela

I think this series, so far, is presenting me with the hardest time I've ever had writing my reviews. I want to talk, and all that seems to be ready to come out is: "OMG! IT'S AMAZING!!!! READ IT NOW!!!!! I CAN'T STOP!!!!!!

I resorted to bullet points in my last review, and I'm not even sure that can help this time. So bear with me while I spew out whatever I can manage to get out. If you haven't started this series, just go to my review of The Eye of the World and GO START THIS AMAZING SERIES.

Th
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
This was a wonderful installment in what I can already see is going to become one of my favourite series of all time.

I had a much better experience with this one than the first book; I only read seven other books in the time it took me to get through this, compared with the twenty-six I went through in my adventure to get through the first book.

No spoilers – because I know a bunch of you are yet to experience the wonder of this and I don’t want to ruin anything for you.

Character run down:

Rand
Haïfa
May 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Okay I'm sadly admitting defeat and DNFing this.

I don't feel like continuing for the moment. Not because it's necessarily bad -the beginning had a few exciting moments- but I lost all connection to the story and the characters. Especially the characters who act like pouting children most of the time. From what my trusted reading buddies tell me, this won't improve anytime soon so I'm putting this book away... for now.
Maryam
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, it now starts to come together. Boo one was a little bit boring and confusing for my liking but to my surprise I didn’t find it long. It is very rare that I enjoy a book longer than 500 pages but recently it happened more than once, not sure if it’s me or the books. Kidding, for sure it’s the good books.

The story begins right where the first book finished.Rand accompanies his two friend along with a Shienarian army to retrieve the horn from dark friends. Nynaeve and Egwene are going to Whi
Adam
Review of the audiobook narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Ok, I'm in. You have hooked me, Mr. Jordan. After I found The Eye if The World to have potential, but nothing extraordinary, The Great Hunt has already realized that potential when I thought it was going to take at least a few more books. There are still a few small complaints, such as the pacing could be better and the action sequences aren't great, but overall those are lost in what this book does right. Continuing to build a
Can you find the missing book? 2 11 Jul 02, 2019 05:37PM
A Wheel Of Time R...: tGH Week 4 - Chapters 40 - 50 16 26 Jun 29, 2019 10:10AM
A Wheel Of Time R...: tGH Week 2 - Chapters 13 - 26 10 24 Jun 19, 2019 06:31AM
A Wheel Of Time R...: tGH Week 1 - Chapters 0 - 12 17 32 Jun 19, 2019 06:29AM
Fantasy and Manga...: The Great Hunt - NO SPOILERS! 4 10 Mar 20, 2019 04:55PM
Fantasy and Manga...: The Great Hunt - Spoilers Allowed 1 5 Jan 28, 2019 07:58AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Great Hunt [Sep 17, 2017] 169 140 Jun 27, 2018 03:47PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • New Spring: The Graphic Novel
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
“Better to have one woman on your side than ten men.” 301 likes
“There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.” 216 likes