The Banished Lands and The Bloodsworn discussion

Individual Book > Malice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by William (last edited Apr 22, 2019 08:07AM) (new)

William Gwynne (willjrgwynne) | 479 comments Mod
This is a discussion where we can discuss the debut book by John Gwynne. Feel welcome to share any feelings or reactions about this novel.

Be aware that there might be spoilers :).

message 2: by William (new)

Who is your favourite character in Malice?

message 3: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 5 comments Corban..... loved him from the first page!

message 4: by William (new)

Kirstin wrote: "Corban..... loved him from the first page!"

Corban is a brilliant character. I love the development he has in Malice.

message 5: by William (new)

Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?

message 6: by Jade (new)

Jade (jalenno) | 7 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Torn between Veradis and Camlin... I can't choose! There's too many great PoV's :D

message 7: by William (last edited Apr 23, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Torn between Veradis and Camlin... I can't choose! There's too many great PoV's :D"

They are both great. To many to choose from :).

What are your favourite aspects of each character?

message 8: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 4 comments Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Torn between Veradis and Camlin... I can't choose! There's too many great PoV's :D"

Yay! My two favourites!! I loved Camlin more and more as the series progresses. I always had a soft spot for 'rogues with a heart of gold'.

message 9: by Jade (new)

Jade (jalenno) | 7 comments TS wrote: "Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Yay! My two favourites!! I loved Camlin m..."

I agree :) I love the character development of Camlin throughout the book and the devotion that Veradis has towards Nathair (even though I questioned some of his decisions). I loved reading both of their chapters as I couldn't wait to see what they would do next.

message 10: by William (new)

TS wrote: "Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Yay! My two favourites!! I loved Camlin m..."

A great combination of characteristics. Love Camlin as well.

message 11: by William (new)

Jade wrote: "TS wrote: "Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who was your favourite PoV in Malice?"

Yay! My two favourites!! I lov..."

The loyalty Veradis has is admirable and made me adore the character. I love characters who value loyalty and honour and do their utmost to retain it.

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 2 comments I loved Malice as an audiobook. John Keating did an excellent job with the narration. Does anyone know if the rest of the series will be available as audiobooks anytime soon?

message 13: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "I loved Malice as an audiobook. John Keating did an excellent job with the narration. Does anyone know if the rest of the series will be available as audiobooks anytime soon?"

As far as I know Malice on Audible US didn't reach their target so they haven't continued the series... a decision made by Audible US, unfortunately out of anyone's hands!

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 2 comments Edward wrote: "Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "I loved Malice as an audiobook. John Keating did an excellent job with the narration. Does anyone know if the rest of the series will be available as audio..."

Well, damn that stinks. But thanks for letting me know. I'll just go sulk for a bit.

message 15: by William (new)

Any particular scenes from Malice that have stuck in your mind?

message 16: by Jade (new)

Jade (jalenno) | 7 comments I have a few scenes which have stuck in my mind.

(view spoiler)

message 17: by William (new)

A particular favourite of mine was (view spoiler)

message 18: by William (new)

Who is your favourite non PoV character?

I think mine could be Tull, the first sword of Ardan. Or perhaps Gar.

message 19: by Matías (new)

Matías Racedo (librosydragones) | 2 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is your favourite character in Malice?"

Definitely Corban!! I was surprised at first of how young the main characters were, I always love a good coming-of-age type of story!

message 20: by Matías (new)

Matías Racedo (librosydragones) | 2 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is your favourite non PoV character?

I think mine could be Tull, the first sword of Ardan. Or perhaps Gar."

Mine were Gar and Brina! Actually, I loved most of the characters from Dun Carreg, except for a few obvious exceptions.

message 21: by William (new)

Matías wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is your favourite non PoV character?

I think mine could be Tull, the first sword of Ardan. Or perhaps Gar."

Mine were Gar and Brina! Actually, I loved most of the characters..."

Great choices! Brian is just so brilliant haha, of course with Craf as well.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter T (petertyrrell) | 1 comments Brina & Craf - a talking crow - you have to just love that!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments Craf and Alcion. Love that crow!

message 24: by William (new)

Craf is so hilarious. And I love the giant as well.

message 25: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Matías wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is your favourite character in Malice?"

Definitely Corban!! I was surprised at first of how young the main characters were, I always love a good coming-of-age type of story!"

Huzzah! Corban is the best character. I love his development throughout Malice!

message 26: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Craf and Alcion. Love that crow!"

Alcyon is brilliant, I love how he was portrayed in the Audiobook!

message 27: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Harwood (ruth120067) | 14 comments hi, hoping there's no spoilers above as I've just had to buy this book due to all library copies being withdrawn or missing! I had it on order for over a month, Valour arrived, but I can't read no. 2 without no. 1 lol! After my present read, this is my next book on the tbr pile, I've got it sitting facing me so I can anticipate the enjoyment!

message 28: by William (new)

Ruth wrote: "hi, hoping there's no spoilers above as I've just had to buy this book due to all library copies being withdrawn or missing! I had it on order for over a month, Valour arrived, but I can't read no...."

Brilliant. There are no spoilers above unless you click to see them :). Hope you enjoy Malice when you get round to it.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments Ruth wrote: "hi, hoping there's no spoilers above as I've just had to buy this book due to all library copies being withdrawn or missing! I had it on order for over a month, Valour arrived, but I can't read no...."

Hi Ruth, I hope you enjoy Malice when you finally receive a copy. It starts off slowly while the author sets the scene and then it sucks you in and blows you away. This quartet gets better and better with each book, in my opinion.

message 30: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Harwood (ruth120067) | 14 comments I didn't find that it set off slowly, or any more so than most fantasy novels, though i understand your meaning! I've just written my review and have to say I loved this! I would have rushed straight into Valour, which I did get from the library, but I wanted the characters to marinate in my head for a bit first, so I've moved onto 'millenium', a non-fiction about the dark ages for a change - it's amazing reading books about history just how much fantasy pulls from it!
It helps that on the front of the copy I have, the name Conn Iggulden is reviewing, as he's one of my favourite historical fiction writers (who has branched into fantasy recently) - I bought his first novel in it's publication year and he's been a fave since! If you've never read him look for his C.F. Iggulden name on fantasy for his foray into this genre, or try his Emperor or Ghenghis historical fiction series' and see what you think! I'm gonna donate the copy of Malice I got to the library, as they seem to have run out of circulating copies, so it'd help if they had this, as series cannot be read without the first book!!

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments Ruth wrote: "I didn't find that it set off slowly, or any more so than most fantasy novels, though i understand your meaning! I've just written my review and have to say I loved this! I would have rushed straig..."

Ruth, that's great! I hope you enjoy Valour when you get to it. I have read Conn Iggulden's Ghengis Khan series and his roman one; not his fantasy yet though. I saw his name recommended in a book by my then favourite author David Gemmell. You might like to look him up sometime, he wrote great fantasy and finished up by writing his take on the historical trilogy of 'Troy' before his sad passing in 2008.

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Harwood (ruth120067) | 14 comments oh yes, I have some Gemmel, don't worry! I'm always on the hunt for good authors and books! It's great that his wife took the mantel up when he died and is now writing fantasy in her own right - if you haven't read her, give it a go, the two she's published so far (plus she finished the Troy series when her husband died) are amazing, can't wait for the next!

message 33: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 5 comments Is there anywhere I can find a spoilery and elaborate summary of Malice. I want to read Valour soon but it's been six months since I read Malice so the details are a bit hazy.

message 34: by Kristoff (new)

Kristoff | 3 comments Its a really good excuse to read Malice again ! always a pleasure ! Truth and courage !

message 35: by William (new)

Natulcien_reads wrote: "Is there anywhere I can find a spoilery and elaborate summary of Malice. I want to read Valour soon but it's been six months since I read Malice so the details are a bit hazy."

petrie does great non-spoiler reviews. So if you cannot find a good "spoilery" review, check his out :)

message 36: by William (new)

Who is doing the Twitter Malice read along?

message 37: by Marcos (new)

Marcos | 9 comments I wish I could, seems like a fun idea, but I am unavailable for reading atm for a month.

message 38: by William (new)

Marcos wrote: "I wish I could, seems like a fun idea, but I am unavailable for reading atm for a month."

No worries at all! They are doing a book a month to read the entirety of The Faithful and the Fallen, so if you feel like you'd like to and have the time to join at some point, the option is there :)

message 39: by Jade (new)

Jade (jalenno) | 7 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is doing the Twitter Malice read along?"

Aaah, I wish I knew about this before because I would have loved to join in! Whereabouts is it on Twitter? :)

message 40: by William (new)

Jade wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Who is doing the Twitter Malice read along?"

Aaah, I wish I knew about this before because I would have loved to join in! Whereabouts is it on Twitter? :)"

FanFiAddict organised it. I'm sure if you message or tag him asking about it, he can add you to the group. They start discussing Malice at the end of this montH :).

message 41: by Hannah (last edited Jan 11, 2021 12:34PM) (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments So I started to scrapbook all of my 4 and 5 star books. Malice is the first one that I've done. All hand drawn and painted with gouache.
It's a double page spread that goes into Valour, the second book in the Faithful and the Fallen series.
I've included some of my favourite quotes and objects that represent the main characters.

I'm going to do Valour next :D

If you want to see more then find me on Instagram @green_wonderland_home

message 42: by William (new)

Hannah wrote: "So I started to scrapbook all of my 4 and 5 star books. Malice is the first one that I've done. All hand drawn and painted with gouache.
It's a double page spread that goes into Valour, the second..."

These are absolutely awesome!

TRUTH AND COURAGE

message 43: by William (new)

Hannah wrote: "So I started to scrapbook all of my 4 and 5 star books. Malice is the first one that I've done. All hand drawn and painted with gouache.
It's a double page spread that goes into Valour, the second..."

Looking forward to seeing more for Valour

message 44: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel | 9 comments Awesome

message 45: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Hannah wrote: "So I started to scrapbook all of my 4 and 5 star books. Malice is the first one that I've done. All hand drawn and painted with gouache.
It's a double page spread that goes into Val..."

Thanks Will! Working on Ruin and Wrath at the moment then I feel I can finally start the 'Of Blood and Bone' series.

message 46: by Maxime (new)

Maxime (mightymax) | 11 comments Holy crap this looks awesome! you are super talented, Hannah! Absolutely beautiful.

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (green_wonderland_home) | 12 comments Maxime wrote: "Holy crap this looks awesome! you are super talented, Hannah! Absolutely beautiful."

Thank you Maxime!

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna Bull | 14 comments Finished Malice last night and so enjoyed it!! So many great characters and loved all the shifting politics of the different kingdoms. Of course loved Storm so much and just damn Kastell!!! :( Veradis better start finding himself on the right side of things sooooooon!!! Can't wait to start Valor!!!

message 49: by Brian (new)

Brian | 5 comments Just finished Malice and have to say this book is up there with my all time favorites. Great characters (good and bad) had be up late saying, "just one more chapter." I can't wait to get to book 2

message 50: by William (new)

Donna wrote: "Finished Malice last night and so enjoyed it!! So many great characters and loved all the shifting politics of the different kingdoms. Of course loved Storm so much and just damn Kastell!!! :( Vera..."

Glad you enjoyed the conclusion to Malice! It was one big punch of an ending!

« previous 1