On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Now accepting nominations for our June, 2019, Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited Apr 19, 2019 02:23PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 2646 comments Mod
Good morning/afternoon,
Updated 4/19/19: The requisite number of nominations have been received and will be posted at the bottom of this thread shortly.
---

How are we going to spend the summer? In other words, what shall we read in June? We are now accepting nominations. We will consider books with a southern literary theme that have not been read by the group in the last 24 months. Two books will be chosen, one published before 1980 and one published in or after 1980. Nominations will remain open for five days or until we have received six nominations in both Pre-1980 and Post-1980 categories, which ever occurs first.

As always, happy reading!

message 2: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 149 comments What are the rules regarding re-nominating previous nominations:

I would like to again recommend:

The Best Short Stories of O. Henry for pre-1980; and,

Promise by Minrose Gwin for the post-1980 read.

message 3: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

John wrote: "What are the rules regarding re-nominating previous nominations:

I would like to again recommend:

The Best Short Stories of O. Henry for pre-1980; and,

Promise by ..."

Thanks John. I edited the first post to include the rules.

message 4: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 149 comments Tom wrote: "John wrote: "What are the rules regarding re-nominating previous nominations:

Tom, my questions was actually about repeat nominations that have not been read but nominated before. If you are okay with these, I am, too.

message 5: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:38AM) (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 1202 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell. The group read it in 2015, before I was a member unfortunately.

Oops, meant to say it was pre-1980.

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren | 83 comments I would like to nominate Chiefs by Stuart Woods for the post-1980 group read.

message 7: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom wrote: "John wrote: "What are the rules regarding re-nominating previous nominations?"

To my knowledge there are no rules about renominating books but the moderators may choose to give priority to first submissions if there are too many nominations. Historically, there have been several books that were nominated several times before winning.

message 8: by Richard (last edited Apr 19, 2019 01:49PM) (new)

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) Post-1980 nomination: Haylow by Gray Stewart

ETA I forgot to put in a book description! And, for Kindle users, the Kindle version is $4.95.
Travis Hemperly is a white southerner who has never been the minority in any room he's ever entered. He has also just joined the history faculty at a historically black college in Atlanta. Off campus, he rekindles a relationship with an old flame, and life looks bright—until he begins to suspect that a family member witnessed a lynching as a child. Complicating matters, his father is now a talk show host for WCTR—Confederate Talk Radio—whose listeners debate whether slavery was wrong. In order to remain in his new position, Travis will have to come to terms with some history outside of his area of specialization—that of his family and that of the South.

message 9: by Anne (last edited Apr 18, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Anne Kimzey | 1 comments I would like to nominate A Long and Happy Life by Reynolds Price for pre-1980.

For post-1980, I recommend Oral History by Lee Smith.

message 10: by Wyndy (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:41AM) (new)

Wyndy | 229 comments For post-1980, I’d like to nominate My Old True Love by Sheila Kay Adams, set in Madison County, North Carolina, site of the Shelton Laurel Massacre at the beginning of the Civil War.

For pre-1980, I’ll add A Place On Earth by Wendell Berry, his second novel after 'Nathan Coulter' and a popular favorite author here on the Trail. Originally published in 1967, but partially rewritten in 1983. Hope this still qualifies it for pre-1980.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Post: The Second Mrs. Hockaday

The Second Mrs. Hockaday

All I had known for certain when I came around the hen house that first evening in July and saw my husband trudging into the yard after lifetimes spent away from us, a borrowed bag in his hand and the shadow of grief on his face, was that he had to be protected at all costs from knowing what had happened in his absence. I did not believe he could survive it.”

When Major Gryffth Hockaday is called to the front lines of the Civil War, his new bride is left to care for her husband’s three-hundred-acre farm and infant son. Placidia, a mere teenager herself living far from her family and completely unprepared to run a farm or raise a child, must endure the darkest days of the war on her own. By the time Major Hockaday returns two years later, Placidia is bound for jail, accused of having borne a child in his absence and murdering it. What really transpired in the two years he was away?

Inspired by a true incident, this saga conjures the era with uncanny immediacy. Amid the desperation of wartime, Placidia sees the social order of her Southern homeland unravel as her views on race and family are transformed. A love story, a story of racial divide, and a story of the South as it fell in the war, The Second Mrs. Hockaday reveals how that generation--and the next--began to see their world anew. (less)

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Pre:
Weeds

First published in 1923, Weeds is set amid the tobacco tenant farms of rural Kentucky. This pioneering naturalist novel tells the story of a hard-working, spirited young woman who finds herself in a soul-destroying battle with the imprisoning duties of motherhood and of managing an impoverished household. The novel is particularly noteworthy for its heartbreaking depiction of a woman who suffers not from a lack of love, but from an unrequited longing for self-expression and freedom. (less)

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4115 comments Mod
Wow! Some really great nominations this month. I'll have a hard time voting.

message 14: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Warren wrote: "I would like to nominate Chiefs by Stuart Woods for the post-1980 group read."

I read that one several years ago and really enjoyed it.

message 15: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

It appears that we have six nominations for the Post-1890 group and lack only one nomination to complete the Pre-1890 list.

Once we get one more Pre-1980 nomination I will cut off the nominations.

message 16: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 2121 comments Mod
What about a Harry Crews for pre 1980. Something easier to find. Open to suggestions. Scar lover?

message 17: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Ok maybe that wasn’t pre 1980. Let me look

message 18: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Well that was horrible idea. Anything Crews bf 1980 is high dollar. It’s really a shame his books are hard to come by.

message 19: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Dagon by Fred Chappell?

message 20: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited Apr 19, 2019 02:26PM) (new)

That'll do it. The nominations are now closed.
The nominations for the Pre-1980 selection for June are:

1. The Best Short Stories of O. Henry
2. Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell
3. A Long and Happy Life by Reynolds Price
4. A Place On Earth by Wendell Berry
5. Weeds by Edith Summers Kelley
6. Dagon by Fred Chappell

The nominations for the Post-1980 selection for June are:
1. Promise by Minrose Gwin
2. Chiefs by Stuart Woods
3. Haylow by Gray Stewart
4. Oral History by Lee Smith
5. My Old True Love by Sheila Kay Adams
6. The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

I hope to get the polls up by this evening.

message 21: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

The polls are up and running.
The Pre-1980 poll can be found at:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

The Post-1980 poll can be found at:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

You know what to do. Now go vote.

Big Daddy Tom

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.