What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Another Faust (The Marlowe School, #1)
This topic is about Another Faust
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Group of teens/YAs with specific curses/wishes/powers? one girl bathes in potions that feel like glass shards to be pretty, one freezes time to study 100s of languages and i think ages all at once. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (new)

Seth (slime_man) | 2 comments Ugh okay y'all I've been looking for this book for a while it's maddening. I think I probably read it around 2010-2012, but I'm mostly basing that on when I remember reading similar books and could be off by +/- a few years maybe?

I don't remember much about the plot. There was a group of....probably teens, and a woman who was portrayed as somewhat scary, but who also gifted them all of these powers that backfired in their own ways. I think they wanted to escape her somehow but I'm not sure. She may have been a relative - a mother or an aunt? But I don't think all of the teens were related.

She gave one of the girls perfumes/potions that she put into a bath, making the bath hurt her like broken glass. I remember there was one very vivid scene about her having to open her eyes in the bath and feeling the water stab into her. The point of this was to increase her beauty/youth/charm/yada yada.

The other girl I remember had some sort of time-stopping abilities, which she used to spend hours and hours studying tons of languages, to the point where languages she didn't know started being very easy to figure out and made intuitive sense to her. There was one conversation about Germanic/Latin-based languages/etc.

There were some boys, I think one was kind of brooding? Probably, knowing the genre. I don't remember his schtick at all.

Those two girls might have been sisters or rivals somehow, as well. I think they had a few confrontational discussions, probably about beauty vs smarts, wah wah.

Of particular interest, I think, is the way these powers had to be maintained. Both girls, and presumably the other characters, had to rely on the woman to give them a constant supply of the potions once they started using them. After using the first ones, they were already too far sunk to stop using them. If beauty bath girl stopped subjecting herself to the torture, she would look super old and nasty. Language girl spent like way over her lifetime of hours on reading, so without the potion to allow her to keep up with the suspension of time, she started to rapidly age. There was some big reveal/argument where this happened, and she was shocked because she hadn't realized that she'd squandered all of her personal lifetime. She might have died?? Or they both turned old and shriveled at some point????? I don't remember.

I'm mad because I think my mom threw this book out the car window back when I was reading it and I never got to finish it. Obviously I'm well past the age now, but I found the ways the powers worked to be pretty intriguing and they've stuck in my head. I'd really like to get my hands on this book and see for myself what I missed out on back then. It's weird to be thinking about stopping time to learn things and then having all of your stolen years come crashing down on you to kill you and not knowing where that concept comes from. So I would sincerely appreciate any help.

message 2: by Kara (last edited Apr 17, 2019 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments Another Faust by Daniel Nayeri! The characters you are describing are the twins Bice and Belle. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 3: by Seth (new)

Seth (slime_man) | 2 comments You're totally right! Thanks, I never would have found that on my own :)