Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2019 ~ Buddy Reads > The Mister by E.L. James ~ Buddy Read ???

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grey (last edited Apr 15, 2019 08:59PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I know we talked about it... anyone have their hot little hands on The Mister by E.L. James yet? I just looked at the NYPL and they don't have it in ecopy yet... I'll check my public library tomorrow.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments 8-9 week wait thru my library right now? I’ve been in holds list since before it released. 😳

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I am gonna let all you people guinea pig this one for me. It's totally not sounding good to me...but what if I miss out on it and it's amazing? See, this is the reason I end up staying up too late at night. I'm afraid something good is gonna happen while I'm sleeping!!

message 4: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I want to read it...but the reviews so far aren't great. I think it's mostly haters, but I think I'd still like to wait to see what people think since the book is so expensive. My library doesn't have it.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Carter | 140 comments I am number 52 of 2 copies on the audio book and 101 of 3 copies on the ebook….

message 6: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments ME ME ME ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STARTED

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Kim wrote: "I am number 52 of 2 copies on the audio book and 101 of 3 copies on the ebook…."

Lol - I am 44 on 12 for audiobook (ie., 8 weeks) and 108 on 26 copies for ebook (ie., 9 wks)...it's crazy!

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Ela wrote: "ME ME ME ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STARTED"

How is it Ela - I don't mind buying if it's worth it!

message 9: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Michele wrote: "Ela wrote: "ME ME ME ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STARTED"

How is it Ela - I don't mind buying if it's worth it!"

So, I started without going through any reviews and I loved the beginning until I came here and saw people hesitant of the reviews.

Well whatever haters! I'm reading and loving!

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Ela wrote: "Michele wrote: "Ela wrote: "ME ME ME ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STARTED"

So, I started without going through any reviews and I loved the beginnin..."

Good to hear!! I haven't read any reviews either...I'm just in sticker shock...

message 11: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments OK so for now I wouldn't go running to buy this book. It's still early BUT I don't want to owe anyone $9.99

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Ela wrote: "OK so for now I wouldn't go running to buy this book. It's still early BUT I don't want to owe anyone $9.99"

lol

message 13: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Ela wrote: "Michele wrote: "Ela wrote: "ME ME ME ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I STARTED"

So, I started without going through any reviews and I loved the beginnin..."

Yay! I'm glad to hear that you're liking it...I'm like everyone else, waiting for the library...I refuse to read any reviews from people I don't know...there has been so much negativity since before the release...can't wait to hear your updates!

message 14: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm number 1 on a hold...but there is some confusion because it says these books cannot be loaned out to another library, after they put me on their list saying it could. IDFK... I haven't found ANY ecopies that are loanable yet. Not even the NYPL, gah!

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) I've started it - about 1/4 way in. It's pricy but I read and liked the kindle sample so I decided to jump in. But, it's already dragging a bit...... damn. I hope I didn't waste my pennies.

Not much has happened so far, really. I'm not in love with the H who (till he spied our pretty h) would screw anything that wasn't nailed down. I didn't need the dets on the *piles* of condoms in the bin beside his bed each morning. (eyeroll) The h is (view spoiler) That's plain gross. LOL.

The h clearly has some angsty back story (yet to be revealed) but she's not grabbing me either. A bit too naive dumb and wimpy for moi, even if she is (view spoiler). (eyeroll)

Soooooo. The jury is still out.

Well, you all know how picky I am. Here's hoping it gets better. At least there are only *hints* of bdsm so far. I'm not a fan of bdsm, and I was hoping she wouldn't go there with this book. It's still unclear cos it's a pretty slooowww start.

Has anyone else jumped in yet as well as Ela? I still don't want to read any reviews cos it might get better.

message 16: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I can't believe there are only TWO reviews on Amazon. They must've not sent out any ARCs.

message 17: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments So yeah Jan, I'm 34% in and so far I'm still engaged and curious! Although, what's funny is that Maxim reminds me of Anastasia with his stupid comments "fuck a duck"?

message 18: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments 39% OK RANT COMING!!!!!!!!!! (view spoiler)

message 19: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments I'M GOING TO FINISH THIS BUT SO FAR IT IS SHIT! SPEAKING IN ALBANIAN WHILE FUCKING IS NOT HOT....NO OFFENSE TO ANY ONE FROM ALBANIA...I'M POLISH AND TRUST ME DIRTY TALK IN POLISH EEEEEEKKKKKKKKSSSSSS ME OUT

message 20: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments AM I THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH THIS TORTURE.....????

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 795 comments I have not picked it up due to the price and now the reviews and Ela are not making me want to read it!

message 22: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Paula wrote: "I have not picked it up due to the price and now the reviews and Ela are not making me want to read it!"

OH COME ON!!!!!!!!!! READ IT WITH ME, YOU CAN THEN RETURN IT...

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 795 comments Hmmm think I will give it a miss, you are not really selling it Ela 😂😂

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Paula wrote: "Hmmm think I will give it a miss, you are not really selling it Ela 😂😂"

You mean, you don't like my updates? That should tell you that this book is making me FEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Sorry Ela, too expensive for me and it doesnt sound that good. ☹

message 26: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments I'm glad for your updates...I'm not reading it now, but I will when it comes in (library), I'm with Leslie, too expensive...now I know what to expect!

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) I've read a bit more (not as much as you yet Ela) but I'm not in love with it yet. I've paid for it though, so I'm dang well gonna finish it. I had a peep at the *two* reviews there were on amazon yesterday - both gushing five stars. Um, I don't think so. Better to wait till the library gets it in for you, ladies.

message 28: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Yeah I can't spend that kind of money on books either... especially when the books on my Kindle would literally take me 10 years to read lol! I will wait and hope the library figures it out.

message 29: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments My copy is available in 19 days...I must have been close to the top of the list...the ebooks I get are usually good for 20 days :)

message 30: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments Thank ladies, I will wait too. See what others think. But no one on Maryse or here seems to think it’s good

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Yep. Now they're saying the plot and characters are a ripoff of Poldark. Eek!

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments This book sounds god awful.

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Leslie wrote: "This book sounds god awful."

I know...it really does..

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Jan wrote: "Yep. Now they're saying the plot and characters are a ripoff of Poldark. Eek!"

Doesn't she have any originality? This is just crazy...

message 36: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments This book is original....

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Ela wrote: "This book is original...."

Ok...now Ela...are you trying to get me intrigued...or is there a "twist" to your comment...

message 38: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments I just think all the haters are making a big deal out of it just like they did with Fifty. 2 of my friends read this book and really enjoyed so yeah, I'm actually defending this book...yeah it wasn't for me at this time...

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Ela wrote: "I just think all the haters are making a big deal out of it just like they did with Fifty. 2 of my friends read this book and really enjoyed so yeah, I'm actually defending this book...yeah it wasn..."

Good to know!

message 40: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Yeah it seems some people have enjoyed it, and that's good. But there are lots of disappointed readers too, and I'm one of them. I'm not a hater, but for me personally the book's pretty lame. I'm with you Ela - it's just not for me. I'm stuck about half way through and not really motivated to finish it. Maybe I'll do some skimming just to see how it all pans out.

IMO the writing quality isn't very good. I think Ms James somehow hit a winning formula with FSOG that hit the market just at the magically right time. The storyline, characters and sauciness made everyone wanna piece of it. But in this one, she's missed the mark, I reckon.

message 41: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ela wrote: "I just think all the haters are making a big deal out of it just like they did with Fifty. 2 of my friends read this book and really enjoyed so yeah, I'm actually defending this book...yeah it wasn..."

Ela--I emphatically agree! I saw too many haters posting nasty things about it before it was even released.

And I'll take Poldark! I hope it's like Poldark! *swoon*

message 42: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I might be talking out of my ass here, but I wonder if the writing of FSOG wasn't better because at the time it was written, she was still part of the Writer's Coffee Shop when it was a bunch of writers meeting for coffee. Maybe they bounced ideas and such off each other and critiqued each other's writing. You never know. Especially since some people are asking if the same person who wrote FSOG wrote this book. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 43: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Interesting theory Renee...ya never know

message 44: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Jan wrote: "Yeah it seems some people have enjoyed it, and that's good. But there are lots of disappointed readers too, and I'm one of them. I'm not a hater, but for me personally the book's pretty lame. I'm w..."

100% agreed!

message 45: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I posted that just to show the Poldark thing, not because of the hate. Heck, I ADORE Beautiful Bastard so I've no place to complain.

That said, eh, not gonna hate on this one. Just was never gonna read it. Honest truth, I'm not an FSOG fan. I read the Up in the Air series, This Man series, and a bunch others before it, and it was cute, and I liked the emails a lot, but I liked the others more. Up in the Air is still my favorite BDSM romance. :)

Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mister (other topics)