What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Sci-Fi book about scientists who turn water red and almost kill everyone

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (last edited Apr 15, 2019 07:57PM) (new)

Tyler (theludlowreaper) | 2 comments Spoilers ahead for this book.

I read this book in the early 2000s, but I believe it was published much earlier. Certainly in the 90s, perhaps even as early as the late 80s. I'm sorry for such a large range of years but my memory seems to show me outdated artwork. I also got it at a thrift store so it was old enough even in the early 2000s to have already made the rounds from bookstore - consumer - thrift store.

It was a book styled like a kid's book almost, with full color illustrations on (almost?) every page showing what was happening. It was aimed at young adults. It certainly felt like an older book when I read it. It was written in English, but I can't remember the author's name or gender, or indeed if it was even one solitary author. I seem to remember that the word "Tomorrow" was somewhere in the title but I am absolutely not 100% certain on that, so only use that as a mild guideline.

What I remember about the plot is this: some scientists are in a lab working on a new type of water that they believe will help the world. I distinctly remember this water is red, and I believe it was slightly thicker - not like blood per se, but thick like gelatinous. One of the scientists knocks over a vial of the red water and it begins spreading until it goes down a drain and into a nearby river. From there it begins spreading throughout the world until all the water is replaced with the red. There are two main characters, a male and female scientist, who are running from the red water throughout the book. I remember that the water "ate" people who touched it and possibly turned them into the red water as well? And at the end of the book I'm pretty sure I remember cold or snow being the solution, all the red water kinda dried up and blew away in the wind.

I remember this book really disturbed me as a kid, but I've been a lifelong fan of horror so I loved it then and I would love to read it now, as an adult. More for sentimental value than actual reading pleasure. If anyone knows what this book is, I would be eternally grateful. I have Googled and Googled so many combinations of keywords and I can't seem to track it down.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Tyler, is this a graphic novel?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, bright/dark/muted colors?

Do they remind you of another illustrator?

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (theludlowreaper) | 2 comments Kris wrote: "Tyler, is this a graphic novel?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, bright/dark/muted colors?

Do they remind you of a..."

It's not a graphic novel, it's definitely more of a book. I remember it being fairly short. Less than 50 pages, I want to say. They were kind of realistic, painted I think? There were definitely vivid, bright colors. It's been so long that I only have vague memories. It doesn't remind me of another illustrator either. Sorry I'm not more help!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Tyler ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 213 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!