James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (sleepysheep) | 8 comments Mod
Just a thread to introduce yourself, if you feel so inclined. Feel free to talk about your thoughts on the book/list, what type of challenges or other group activities you're interested in, or anything else!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (sleepysheep) | 8 comments Mod
I'll just say a bit...I'm Rachel, I'm a legal librarian, I love books.
I specifically like books about books and I really appreciate this particular title and list because it includes such a variety of genres whereas many lists are exclusively fiction, "great books", classics, etc. I also love that James Mustich is continuing the book through newsletters...as if 1000 books isn't enough already!

I started this group because I have been on Goodreads for about ten years and have lurked around a few other groups, but wanted to finally contribute something and decided this group would be it.

If you are interested in helping moderate, please DM me!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments I'm Bryan, I've been meandering my way through some of the other '1000' lists. I'm not dedicated to them, but I do keep track as I go. Since I focus more on fiction that anything else, I've read less of this list than the others--I'm only at 187 on Mustich's list.

I've got a ton of these titles on my shelf already, and these groups are good at prodding me to reading them when they come up as group reads. So, when those get started, I'm sure I'll jump in, if I haven't already read them.

message 4: by Mariella (new)

Mariella Rinaldi | 166 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I'm an Italian Physicist and I've just joined in. I've found about Mustich's reading suggestions a couple of days ago and I'm eager to start working on it with your help. Have a nice reading!

message 5: by Marlise (new)

Marlise (mawz76) | 175 comments Mod
Welcome Mariella! Glad to have you join us!

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet Hi everybody!

I got Mustich's book a couple of months ago. Every time I browse in it, I find a book that I really want to read. And so far, he hasn't let me down. I'm not treating it as a challenge (if I started with Proust I'd never finish), but it is a great resource with huge variety. I hope this group grows! It will be fun to discuss his picks with you all.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments Hello Janet--this group still seems to be finding its feet.

I think all the books that we've picked from for the monthly reads have been randomly selected. I wonder if maybe we'd do better to do nominations from group members, and then poll--what do you think, Marlise? Just an idea

message 8: by Mariella (new)

Bryan "goes on a bit too long" wrote: "Hello Janet--this group still seems to be finding its feet.

I think all the books that we've picked from for the monthly reads have been randomly selected. I wonder if maybe we'd do better to do n..."

I like this strategy more than randomness.

message 9: by Marlise (new)

Hi guys. I just saw your ideas. Sending out a new message soon!

message 10: by Carol (last edited Sep 13, 2019 10:16AM) (new)

Carol | 65 comments HI there, I am new to the group having clicked on James Mustich's link in his newsletter. I saw this book on my library's "new books" shelf, and my husband said, "OH NO! Another list." I tried really hard to avoid it, but I succumbed. I have read 262 of the books on the list. I am currently listening to Gilead and am almost done.

I love to read but had never picked up a classic other than having to read The Great Gatsby and Siddhartha in high school. Then, my mother in law gave me Les Miserables in 1996, and I have not stopped since. Susan Wise-Bauer's list in The Well Educated Mind challenged me to read all genres. I completed her list in 8 years.

This new list is challenging, but I broke my leg in July. So I read about 30 books during my days in bed. I am walking with one crutch now. So my reading has slowed down considerably, but I am up for the challenge with all of you!

message 11: by Marlise (new)

Carol wrote: "HI there, I am new to the group having clicked on James Mustich's link in his newsletter. I saw this book on my library's "new books" shelf, and my husband said, "OH NO! Another list." I tried real..."

Welcome Carol! We are so pleased to have you join us!

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Thank you Marlise!

Here is a review of all the books I have read since picking it up at my library in May (I think).

https://carolhomeschool2.blogspot.com...

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I just checked and I've read 276 of the books on the list, which doesn't feel like a lot. I don't agree with some of the choices, though.

I live in Southern California, work at a synagogue, have three grown children and read a LOT. I'm sure everyone here does. I am looking forward to discussing some of these titles with you guys.

message 14: by Marlise (new)

Kandice wrote: "I just checked and I've read 276 of the books on the list, which doesn't feel like a lot. I don't agree with some of the choices, though.

I live in Southern California, work at a synagogue, have t..."

Thanks for joining Kandice. I'm in SoCal too!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments I used to live in SoCal--now that winter's coming on, I wish I still did.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Kandice wrote: "I just checked and I've read 276 of the books on the list, which doesn't feel like a lot. I don't agree with some of the choices, though.

I live in Southern California, work at a synagogue, have t..."

Hi Kandice, I have read 276 too! How funny we have the same number of books. Also, I was born and raised in SoCal (El Segundo)! But I am in Oregon now.

message 17: by Kandice (last edited Nov 06, 2019 06:00PM) (new)

Kandice Carol wrote: "Hi Kandice, I have read 276 too! How funny we have the same number of books. Also, I was born and raised in SoCal (El Segundo)! But I am in Oregon now"

I wonder how much our books overlap? ;-) Nice to "meet" you.

message 18: by Janet (last edited Nov 07, 2019 08:06AM) (new)

Janet Welcome Kandice! I am also a Southern Californian. I have read quite a few on the list, which made me feel proud of myself, until I realized it was mostly children's books and things I had to read in school. That took me down a few pegs!

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Welcome Kandice!
Good job on reading 276 so far. I've only read 87, but I only started on the list in May.

I'm in Wisconsin where the temps in early November this year are what we usually get in late December. I wish I lived in a warmer climate right now.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Kandice wrote: I wonder how much our books overlap? ;-) Nice to "meet" you.

I am not sure if you can see my list from List Challenge or this just shows you the general list on there, but here are the ones I have read:

https://www.listchallenges.com/1000-b...

I am closing in on 277 and 278. Reading the Letters of Van Gogh before I go to Amsterdam and visit his art museum. LONG book but fascinating!

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon Nakapalau | 3 comments Hello everyone! My name is Jon and I am happy to join this group!

message 22: by Marlise (new)

Welcome Jon!

message 23: by Jon (new)

Jon Nakapalau | 3 comments Thanks Marlise!

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Kandice
I was wrong-- I have read 103 on the list not 87. I didn't highlight some on my printed list that I had read.

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Welcome to the group Jon.

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Carol wrote: "Thank you Marlise!

Here is a review of all the books I have read since picking it up at my library in May (I think).

https://carolhomeschool2.blogspot.com..."

FYI: Your list only shows 81-107

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (artemitch) Hello all! I joined because a lot of the books on the list interest me, and I'd thought it'd be fun to read and discuss with others. I don't think I've read that many off the list -- definitely not triple digits.

I see that the group is currently reading Foundation by Asimov. I hope to get to it soon as I've been meaning to get to it but haven't yet. Happy to be here!

message 28: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1 comments Got the invite a while ago, just got around to accepting it now! Sorry for the delay!

I'm Matthew and, as always, I am ready to read!

message 29: by Marlise (new)

Matthew wrote: "Got the invite a while ago, just got around to accepting it now! Sorry for the delay!

I'm Matthew and, as always, I am ready to read!"

Thank you for joining us Matthew!! I'm glad to have you.

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle (elevatedbliss) | 1 comments Hello All,
I love to read and discuss books so when I received the invite for this group I was happy to accept.
I don’t know how many books on the list I’ve read, but my plan is to join in any group reads for books already on my TBR list or that are of interest to me.
Looking forward to reading with you!

message 31: by Marlise (new)

Welcome to our little group Elle! Very pleased to have you ❤

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Elle wrote: "Hello All,
I love to read and discuss books so when I received the invite for this group I was happy to accept.
I don’t know how many books on the list I’ve read, but my plan is to join in any gro..."

Welcome to the group! What are some of the books on your TBR list?

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen (soullibrarian) | 8 comments Greetings! I'm happy to join this group. I've been a reader my whole life yet I've missed so many great or classic books. I heard about this book when I listened to an older episode of the What Should I Read Next podcast and James Mustich was the guest. I bought it right away and proceeded to check off my books -- 66. That was in October. If I could have marked off movie versions or other books by authors who are listed I would probably be close to 100.

I've set a goal to read 250 of these books before I die. Since October, I've focused on some books that have been on my TBR list for a long time and/or children's classics that I missed growing up. I've read 84 Charing Cross Road, Parnassus on Wheels, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden and Matilda. Loved them all!

I plan to continue this year to read books that are on the list and have been on my own TBR for a while including: Angle of Repose, Frankenstein, Lonesome Dove, The Life You Save May Be Your Own, I Capture the Castle and.....a big one - The Power Broker. I've owned my copy for about 20 years. I think I may read the book and use the audio book to help me through those 1344 pages.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. Best to all of you reading the Bible. I did a Bible in 90 days group about 6-7 years ago and then read it again in a small group that met weekly during the school year and covered it in two years.

message 34: by Cphe (new)

Cphe Hi all - Cphe here.

Came across this group the other day.

I primarily read from the Boxall/Guardian 1000 list but there is something about lists that intrigue me.

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Karen wrote: "Greetings! I'm happy to join this group. I've been a reader my whole life yet I've missed so many great or classic books. I heard about this book when I listened to an older episode of the What Sho..."

Welcome to the group, Karen.
I joined last year. Like you, I have been a reader my whole life and missed many classics and childrens books that I never read, Some I never heard of til I read James' book.

Last year I read A Little Princess, The Secret Garden and Matilda and loved them all too.

I had never read Frankenstein or Dracula til last year because I don't like horror. I found out that 19th century horror is much different than today. It gives more hints than actual descriptions of the horror. I thought Frankenstein was good and Dracula was very good.

message 36: by Marlise (new)

Welcome Karen and Cphe! So happy to have you join our group!

message 37: by Kris —— (new)

Kris —— (d1emukke) Hi! I’m Kris, from Utrecht, The Netherlands.

I’ve been active on GoodReads for about six months now. Buddy-reads and discussions make my reading experiences even better, so I’d wanted to join a face-to-face book club. That proved to be nearly impossible with three small children at home, so I ended up using GR for a lot more than keeping track of what I’d read: here I can join multiple groups and discuss every single book read, if I felt the need. Amazing!

Picked up Mustich’s 2020 calendar and’ve tried out a couple of suggestions. I’ve had a great time reading those, but am yet to compare books on the list with my own.

90% of what I read is fiction - a preference - but I hope to discover some new and interesting titles through this group.

Happy reading to all!

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments D1eMukke wrote: "Hi! I’m Kris, from Utrecht, The Netherlands.

I’ve been active on GoodReads for about six months now. Buddy-reads and discussions make my reading experiences even better, so I’d wanted to join a f..."

Welcome Kris, I am drinking chai from my Starbuck's Netherlands cup as I type.

I loved online discussions when my kids were small. It kept my mind alive. You are so welcome to this group!

Veel leesplezier!

Carol

message 39: by Marlise (new)

Welcome Kris!!

message 40: by Karen (last edited Jul 14, 2020 03:46AM) (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 26 comments Hello - I am Karen (another one!) and I have just found this list. I love books and books about books and lists of books. I am sixtyish and trying to fill in gaps in my reading. Other listmakers and books I have used for advice are: Martin Seymour-Smith, Italo Calvino, Harold Bloom, and recently looking at Boxall. I was pleased to see that Mustich includes Biography, Plays, History, and Poetry. Still exploring the titles; I expect to be reading Middlemarch and the The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty in upcoming weeks.

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Karen wrote: "Hello - I am Karen (another one!) and I have just found this list. I love books and books about books and lists of books. I am sixtyish and trying to fill in gaps in my reading. Other listmakers an..."

I am in the process of reading Eudora Welty right now and I like it. I read 2-3 stories before I go to bed every evening.

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 26 comments Jane wrote: "Karen wrote: "Hello - I am Karen (another one!) and I have just found this list. I love books and books about books and lists of books. I am sixtyish and trying to fill in gaps in my reading. Other..."

@Jane - that was my plan, as well. I imagine my grandmother's voice.

message 43: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Mendez-Meggison | 1 comments Hello Everyone! My name is Andrea and I am looking for a little social interaction outside of my family. We have been pretty isolated since the pandemic hit as I have some health issues. I have always loved to read and when I was a little girl I dreamed of living in the library of our hometown. I have been working on a list of books to read before that I found on GoodReads a year or two ago, but I like the idea of going through the process with other avid readers. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing the September book choice with everyone.

A

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Andrea wrote: "Hello Everyone! My name is Andrea and I am looking for a little social interaction outside of my family. We have been pretty isolated since the pandemic hit as I have some health issues. I have alw..."

Warmest welcome to you Andrea! I, too, dreamed of living in the library! HAHAHAHAHA!

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 26 comments Andrea wrote: "Hello Everyone! My name is Andrea and I am looking for a little social interaction outside of my family. We have been pretty isolated since the pandemic hit as I have some health issues. I have alw..."

Hello Andrea, I've recently joined this group for the same reasons. I've found it a great list to explore. I hope to start reading the monthly selection in the new year. Trying to get that TBR backlog down - but I have acquired the Clive James books that are on the group bookshelf. It's good to discover a new writer. Happy reading!

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 3 comments Hi My name Karen (yeah, I know, another one), and before I retired, I was a librarian and Systems Administrator. I love reading lists, and I am currently making my way through 4 different ones, including Mustich's.

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Karen wrote: "Hi My name Karen (yeah, I know, another one), and before I retired, I was a librarian and Systems Administrator. I love reading lists, and I am currently making my way through 4 different ones, inc..."

Welcome! I love reading lists too! I completed 287 classics from three lists in 555 weeks seven years ago:

https://carolhomeschool2.blogspot.com...

Now I am tackling this one!

message 48: by Jane (new)

Jane Huttner | 157 comments Karen wrote: "Hi My name Karen (yeah, I know, another one), and before I retired, I was a librarian and Systems Administrator. I love reading lists, and I am currently making my way through 4 different ones, inc..."

What other lists are you working through? I like reading lists too, and am going through 4 different ones too: Mustich's, 1001 books to read, Essential books to read, and 80 best books of all time.

Jane

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Jane wrote: "Karen wrote: "Hi My name Karen (yeah, I know, another one), and before I retired, I was a librarian and Systems Administrator. I love reading lists, and I am currently making my way through 4 diffe..."

The lists are in the link. :)

message 50: by Mariella (last edited Sep 26, 2020 01:50AM) (new)

[offtopic]

Nuntio vobis gaudium magnum:
Habemus spreadsheet!

It is hosted on my Google Drive. I'll update it as we proceed with the readings.

(For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about, you are invited to read messages #2 and #4 on this thread.)

Some technical notes:
a. Authors who share the same surname are listed with the first letter of their name or, where needed, with their full name: Surname, N. or Surname, Name;
b. Authors of multiple works are listed just once (see, for example, Shakespeare);
c. The last column, called "X - Y", hosts those authors whose biographical information are somehow missing, together with their work, (i. e. : Tacitus or Lucretius or modern ones such as Elena Ferrante) or those works which, for various reasons, cannot be attributed to anyone (i. e. : Beowulf or The Bible);
c'. "..." here marks multiple works (e. g. : "Homer - ...").

If you have any questions or special requests, feel free to ask. Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

« previous 1