What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Chapter book or YA about a girl with a journal.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 6 comments Hello everyone!
I'm really stumped, and I would love to know if I imagined this book or if it really does exist.

I remember (before 2011) that I had this book, about 250-300 pages long, paperback, that had a bright yellow cover, a veranda (don't remember if red or white or striped) and a girl sitting outside on a table writing in a journal. The cover was reminiscent of oil pastels, and not super detailed.

Things I vaguely remember about the plot

1. She went with her family on vacation and was writing things down.
2. They rented a car
3. They stayed in a house or barn when it was raining and it had a tree growing in the middle of it
- this tree might have had a swing
If anyone else remembers a book vaguely like this or could point me in the direction I would be so grateful, as I've been looking for it for the past 7 years or so. I'll link a crude drawing I did of the book cover that I remember if it helps jog someone's memory or remembers seeing it.
https://imgur.com/a/qRis2n6

message 2: by Kris (last edited Apr 16, 2019 12:29PM) (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
Diana, can you tell us more about the girl - her age, skills/interests/hobbies, job, family/friends/pets, etc.? Is there romance?

What's the tone - funny, somber/coming-of-age, angsty, etc.?

What does she write about in her journal/diary?

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15745 comments Lucy Rose: Big on Plans?

Absolutely Normal Chaos?

Was the book itself in diary format, or does the girl just write in the diary?

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana | 6 comments All I can really concretely remember is that it was around 230-300 pages and the font was not that small. She travels with her family and it read like of mystery-ish.

No dogs that I remember, as they were traveling in different places in Europe. I also think there was a big storm and they had to stop driving, and I think that’s the reason they stumble into the house/barn with the giant tree in the middle of it and a swing. No summer romance or nothing like that, and the format wasn’t like a “dear diary” sort of thing, but it was first person POV and it was more like a journal

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15745 comments Europe? I wonder if it could be the Melanie Martin series.

The Diary of Melanie Martin is the first book.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana | 6 comments Thanks for looking, but no, that book is not it- it was not part of a series. I think it had more of a mystery vibe than anything else

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15745 comments Do you know which country they were traveling through in Europe, or was it multiple countries?

Was the girl American?

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana | 6 comments Yes! I think they traveled to different countries, and the book was in english, protagonist definitely American
The details I kind of remember but I’m not 100% sure about are
- The girl is gifted the journal, I think it’s red and it’s for her to write down what happens during her trip
- The trip takes place during the summer
- One of the countries might have been Italy and the other the Netherlands

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15745 comments How I Saved My Father's Life?

Was the girl definitely younger than high school age?